Photo

Video Footage From My Trip To Lake Malawi, Sep 2014

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

While we were stooging around at the beginning of the trip waiting for the wind to drop, we did a bit of swimming.  Waves were big enough then for us to body surf.  Just a little harder in fresh water with a little less buoyancy :)

#22 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:12 AM

Here’s a short clip which gives an idea of how densely populated with fish some of these areas are.  This is Maingano Island again.

. . . . and for something completely different – a crab at Kande Island. 

Edited by humbug, 01 November 2014 - 03:13 AM.

#23 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:48 AM

There's a bit of a story that goes with the clip of the crab.  Throughout the trip I had Marc Boulton (Bolly12345, The Cichlid Hub) as my dive buddy.  The crabs were about, but never out in the open.  They would shoot away as you approached.  Bolly was rather keen to get some footage of one.  I happened upon this one out in the open on a rock face, and realized that I could possibly herd it over to Bolly.  That's what I was doing through that clip.  Right at the end you can hear me yelling "Marc" and you can see him behind the crab in the last few seconds of my clip.  I managed to get it to go over the edge virtually right into Marc's face. 

Here's Marc's footage. At around the 5:50 mark you will see the camera shudder - that's when he hears me call and looks up.  He managed to get closer shots than I did :-)

#24 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

Thats so cool!! I really love seeing the fish in the wild, such a diverse lake, no wonder cichlids are so popular!!
Did i spot a mpanga in there? :)

#25 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:18 PM

whoa! how did I miss this thread? awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users