Photo

Can't Find Nice Rainbows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 daniella

daniella
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:25 AM

I have been having alot of trouble in Perth trying to find decent colored Rainbows. I'd like either Boseman or Jewel rainbows. I can only find Bosemans at one place & they are very poorly colored. Does anyone know where I can find good colored rainbows in Perth metro area?
I am also trying to find a good place to buy my plants. Unfortunately from what I have seen none of the aquariums seem to know exactly what plants they have & know very little about them. Does anyone know of a good shop for plants that knows exactly what varities they have & can order specific plants on request?

#2 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:56 AM

Rainbows are as a rule very poorly coloured when you buy them. If an LFS grows them up to fully coloured it will be in a display tank 'Not For Sale'.

They colour up as they grow.

If you're impatient, buy Glossolepis incisus as they colour up very fast.

Ususally boesemani are sold at an age where they will colour up within months, but incisus colour up younger and faster.

#3 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

Give Aquotix a call, and speak to Krystal or Chris B. If I remember correctly, they're Rainbow fish experts... smile.gif

Alternatively, pm one of the ANGFA members on this site. They're dedicated to Aussie Natives etc..

Cheers!
Kevin

#4 daniella

daniella
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Sep 16 2009, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Give Aquotix a call, and speak to Krystal or Chris B. If I remember correctly, they're Rainbow fish experts... smile.gif

Alternatively, pm one of the ANGFA members on this site. They're dedicated to Aussie Natives etc..

Cheers!
Kevin

Thanks guys. The only rainbows I found are at *REMOVED* & they are just plain terrible. Ragged fins etc so I'm not going through them.
Will give Aquotix a call tommorrow or maybe go down for a look.

#5 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Sep 16 2009, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheers!
Kevin

Thanks Kevin for the kind words but I'm no expert, I don't come ANYWHERE close to being an expert. I'm just wondering, what exactly is a Jewel Rainbow? I had to throw that into google to see what results I could yield. Your after M. trifasciata is that right?

The fun part with Rainbowfish (and all fish) I believe is growing the fish up and watching them colour up as they mature, till one day you go past your tank and you see one of your little babies fully coloured, flashing his nape band, courting the girls and sparring with the other males in the tank. Unfortunately there's not too many people like me and ALWAYS want the most coloured up males in retail tanks and they're quite often the first to go. Bare in mind with rainbows, they dont show 100% of colour 100% of the time, so unless you see them displaying courtship behaviour you're not going to see them colour up. Another point to consider is stock tanks in shops aren't the best environments for rainbows to colour up in and will usually drop a lot of colour.

Anyways I'm getting off topic and I'm not sure if there are any M.bosemani left in stock, I think they might be all gone and no trifasciata either. Was there a specific location variant of trifasciata you where after? I'm not currently keeping or breeding any tri's or bosemani atm.

#6 daniella

daniella
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:45 AM

Yes the Jewel Rainbow is M. Trifasciata. No I'm not after a specific variant of Trifasciata but one of the ones from close to neutral PH & not too hard water would be prefered so it is easy for me to find tankmates & do plants wit co2.
I have the patience to wait for the fish to color up, that's no problem. My problem is that the only rainbows I have seen for sale in the aquariums I go to all have injuries & don't look at all healthy. To me color always comes down to the right environment, plants,lighting, substrate etc. Along with good food & compatible fish for breeding. Color comes with time as with most fish.
Forgive me as the book I'm working from might not be up to date with the latin but the main rainbows I'm looking at are the Boseman & the Trifasciata as already established. As well as C. Axelrodi, M. Lacustris, M. Parkinsoni and I want to find out more about the splendida varieties as well to see which of those that I like.
The result I'm after is a school of colorful (eventually) rainbows, a smaller school of something like the congo tetra & a smaller plec variety. Probably a Clown plec. I would like the rainbows to be able to handle water around about 7.0PH & 10 GH as that's what I end up with after the addition of co2.
I'm very open to suggestions on stock as long as the rainbows are of the more colorful varieties, (main display tank), & finding compatible tankmates/plants is not too hard. The tank is just sitting on its stand empty with the background in place, so nothing is set in stone yet. Any ideas on stocking & set up are more than welcome.

#7 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hi mate

If you want to have a good read on rainbowfish try this
http://members.optus...on/Contents.htm
That is website has been written by respected Rainbow people

If you have your heart set on some Boesemani (http://members.optushome.com.au/rainbowfishes/Boesemani.htm ) send me a pm and let me know how many you want.
I can show the parents so you can see the blood line your getting.

Graeme

#8 Wet Dreams

Wet Dreams
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:59 PM

Malaga have some nice rainbows in atm, even some M. Trifasciata that are coloured up.
Graeme has some nice rainbows and is a pleasure to deal with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users