Photo

What Is Wrong..?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:35 AM

Ok well it's happened I know what to do next time.

I did the water change 2 days ago, plus I have 2 boops in there at 5cm so not much waste.

The best theory is stomach infection or bacteria problems.

The fish were heavily breathing in a cool well aerated tank with low ammonia, the only other cause would be bacteria problems in the stomach no?

Cheers for all the help, I might just clean out the tank and in a month put my Ngara flametails in there and get some kandeensis to breed or something like that. What do you think? Will the problem come back?

Might do a 90% change when no fish are in there.

#42 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:00 AM

You have no nitrate reading, it partially tells the tail along with other instances.

Your primary issue was ammonia spikes,,, secondary issue possibly internal bacterial issue.
Ammo spike would have caused the sickness.
Fish don't get sick for no reason.
So there for after starting fresh,, there is absolutely no reason for further issues unless primary issues or reasons pop up that cause the fish to be sick....
Don't allow yourself to bi-pass things you don't want to hear.
Patience and follow all steps necessary.

Unless your not just using time as a excuse for sick fish,, if you really don't have time, why set up what you can't manage (little bit of contradiction going on there).
Settle then for one tank, so you can manage and give attention that's needed.

#43 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2015 - 09:11 AM

Well looks like all my fish are too far gone... Some of you wouldn't believe how much money that is to me... But I treated with metro for their bacteria in their stomach, sadly I think none will make it!

When I say I don't have time I mean, I have time to look at them for 3 minutes (when I walk past the tank through the day) I then had time to clean the tank, glass, filters ect. I don't have time for problems like that, now you will all day I should only care for one tank but to be fully honest I don't have much of a life WaterPolo and fish keeping and I want to get the most out of both.

I'll move my Ngara flametail colony up to the 4 footer and get some other peacocks in the 140L.

Thanks for all this help and advice, I'm lucky to have you guys, I really am.

#44 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

Trust me you have the time it's just you prioritise everything else before your tanks which is fine to do but don't complain about it ....... Many of us on here work full time and have kids with multiple tanks and manage them fine so maybe you need to sit back and really think about if breeding fish is really what you want to do

#45 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:51 AM

Yeah fair point mike, looks like all of my tangs died ffs I am done with tangs!

#46 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:05 PM

The fact that they were Tangs had nothing to do with them dying, anything would of died due to Ammonia poisoning. Learn the nitrogen cycle and appreciate the importance of beneficial bacteria in an aquarium as it's your life line to basic fish keeping. Good luck with your next project and remember patience little grasshopper.

#47 benno87

benno87
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:10 PM

Lol I think you should just start breeding guppys man. Few nights ago when your fish first started droppin off you were sookin about people on here not giving you enough help and information, and now that they are trying to you are just shrugging it off and blaming it on a bacterial infection and not the lack of reading you've obviously not done on the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a tank properly. I know your only young mate but trying to tell 90% of the members on here that you just don't have the time is never going to sit more many reasons explained above. Tangs are easy to keep when attention is paid and the proper care is given. That tank wouldn't even take an hour a week to keep in tip top shape. Not havin a crack mate but please admit that things have not been done properly and ensure it doesn't happen again instead of blaming a mystery illness. We've all experienced this before.
Lol you beat me to it by 3 min sandgroper

#48 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

Ya snooze, ya lose.lol

#49 Tonster76

Tonster76
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

Geez man, at least sell some of the equipment and get some of that hard earned $3K back. ouch

#50 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:43 PM

I'm not saying it's anyone's fault just annoyed for all the time effort and sweat put into this and got nothing out...

I'm just annoyed that the tangs died not saying it's the tangs fault...

There all gone so I'll just get some peacocks in there or something...

I have been told by someone else that they died because of a bacterial problem in their stomach!

#51 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:34 PM

It could very well be internal bacterial infection,,, as I keep saying,, it's usually a secondary issue.
Those bad bacteria species are always present in aquariums,,, even sanitary perfectly kept aquariums.
Buuuuuut, it takes a primary issue which is usually the aquarists fault to trigger the issue.

If you have little ammonia spikes all the time, this will full on stress your fish and lower their immune systems.
Now that the fish have become weakend, the bad bacterias take hold of the fish inside the gut,,, and the fishes immune system is to weak to fight it off,,,,, HAYPRESTO sick fish,,,, not much of a mystery at all.

It doesn't nessesarily have to be ammonnia causing the issues, it could be any other number of issues to trigger the problems.

Don't do it to yourself and keep going around in circles,,,, take it all in, and use it as the best way to learn "through your errors" which is the best way to obtain knowledge by far,,,,,,, expensive way ? Yes, but trust me buddy, your not the only one,,, and you've likely still got many losses to come yet.

It's quite common for entrant aquarists to have a little success and become a bit to complacent thinking they are close to full bottle.
I know you havnt rushed into anything and you've thought about decisions before making them.
But you seem like a fighter,,,,, so maybe start to look at the sciences, and accept that it's going to take a little time to grasp,,, as it was for the rest of us.
Ask about common rules and laws about fish,,,, for example, furcifers shouldn't be in groups less than six,, others may have different ideas but thats up to you which you decide in examples such as this.

If you can't follow the rules and laws due to cost or time, then don't go there it's simple.
Easy does it,,,, so you know, myself as young fella, I learnt everything the hard way.
And it's a test to see how much of a fisho you really are,,,, sticking with it, or giving it up.
Nothing wrong with moving slow and taking your time mate,,, everyone has restraints.
I won't even bother rambling my daily routine/duties, no one will believe me. :)

#52 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

contrary to your sig you can't become a ninja overnight.

lots of good advice from ppl in the above posts.

I might add this suggestion: start a fish log. write down everything. water changes. test readings. décor changes. the lot.

since you are computa literate you could do something there - I use excel spreadsheets (and they have got pretty sophisticated now with summaries of maintenance and fish stocks/tank loadings/capacities, female spawn intervals... )

Attached File  spreadsheet slice.PNG   85.69KB   11 downloads

you will be amazed a what a good reference it will become when you want to see what went wrong, or right.

never know, you might turn it into an app and make a fortune selling it. you were looking for an idea weren't you?

#53 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:57 AM

^^^
Excellent idea.
Every single movement getting recorded,,, even something like forgetting or falling behind a filter clean by a week or two.

Example below how a combination would equate.
Time of year with temp and feeding amounts, which would all be relative,,,, cool water = slower metabolism = less food needed.

Extremely successful fisherman that go out in their boats and landbase fish that I know, run diary logs and for the past 30+ years !!!!, book after book after book.
There are Definetely some rhythms they have discovered leading them to only go fishing when fish are most likely to be on the bite.
And rhythms of when not to go at all.
Theses loggings can reveal a lot.

Even if you think its to much effort for what you'd believe to be minimal knowledge gain (which isn't correct as you should learn a lot from),,, is that gives you train of thought and increases thinking of tactics also inducing pro-activeness

Edited by Buccal, 31 December 2015 - 07:59 AM.

#54 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2015 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for all this help guys, I kinda feel like I'm wasting your time seeing as I'm copping paragraphs from everyone haha!

That app has so much potential.

Make the app for diseases in the tank get the person to enter all their different parameters weekly then depending on the chemistry depends on what disease they might have when it comes to fish dying or looking sadly...

Seeing as you all have busy lives as well yes ok maybe I don't have the toughest life but I'm young and some stuff isn't as easy for me as to you... Arguments aside without the PCS tone fully honest I don't know how any of this fish keeping would have turned out its great to know I have a big community that enjoy what I do which I though was unlikely, seeing as at school what I like seems like a waste of time to others!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users