Photo

Dazza's Dual 1.5' Cubes

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 MrOrange

MrOrange
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:33 PM

Hi Darryl - Your tang tank looks amazing. I know you said you don't look at your receipts, but could you make an educated guess as to what the background was worth? What size is it bought in? I need a piece 60 * 42 so hoping I don't need to buy 4ft of it.

Also, could you please tell me what rocks you're using there? I've not seen those before, did you get them from a landscape supplies place?

As they say, imitation is the best form of flattery, If I could end up with a tank that looks half as good I'd be doing alright I reckon.

Thanks.
James

#42 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

Hey James

Thanks for the flattery! blush.gif

The background would be about $30 (just guessing) per 18"x18" sheet. It's from Aquotix so give them a buzz or a PM to clarify. Else pop in there to check out all the fish, you know you want to! LOL

No idea on the rocks sorry. I sourced them from a fellow PCS member. Perhaps someone can clarify the ID? It has small white veins throughout.

Daz

#43 MrOrange

MrOrange
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

Well I made the trek out to aquotix, first time out there and a pretty impressive shop. Not big on the tangs but hey can't please everyone biggrin.gif

I came away with a 3D foam background and some black mortar fill as you used Darryl. Everything went together great, the mortar fill was a little hard to control, came out in spurts, but it looked great and matched the background really well.

I left it dry for over 24 hours before adding water.

Came home today to find this (see image below).

The 'mortar' is dissolving into the water, I can see it leeching in, made the water black!! All that gets left behind is the sand, whatever product/chemical that was holding it together has dissolved into the water! blink.gif

The product label says it dries in 30 minutes and it's completely waterproof... fooled me.

(my water is alkaline, PH yesterday was 8.2)

I'll need to strip this tank down again now, I won't be using that product again.

Attached Files

#44 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

Yep I definitely wouldn't be using the 30mins drying time as a guide if it's going to be fully submerged. Even the 24hrs is a bit hit and miss depending on how thickly it has been applied. I was a bit too eager when I first did mine (only waited 19hrs). Wasn't as cloudy as yours though. A few water changes and 2 doses of Api Accu-Clear sorted mine out.

Daz

#45 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

You will need to let it dry for more than 24hours if the bead is thicker than a few mm...... it has to thoroughly dry before you fill the tank.

We used the same stuff on Cawdors tank

and let it dry for nearly a week I think it was (had to transport it to his house after we put the background in.

The cloud is 100% non toxic, and any fully cured mortarfil will not dissolve. You can either waterchange it out, or better still, use Accuclear by API.

Dazzabozza had a similar problem when he first used it (less than 24hour curing time), and I gave him a small bottle of Accuclear, and it has cleared up.

Unfortunately, the product (and therefore the label) was not originally intended for the aquarium industry.... but I am going to have to get new labels put on the next batch to outline the best directions for use when using it in the aquarium. The inventors of this product have assured me that this can be fully immersed (when fully cured) and it will not break down. You just have to give it a bit more time to cure fully, particularly when the bead is thick, or it is used behind a background, where the moisture takes time to get out for it to dry.

In regards to Tangs.... we normally do have a good range (we still have more than 10 varieties in stock) but we have sold a lot of them off recently (many have gone over east).... we are importing some new stock shortly, and we will get more from interstate breeders after that, so check in regularly to see what is new....

#46 MrOrange

MrOrange
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:29 AM

Thanks for the updates guys. Yeah understood re: label, definately an idea to apply your own, I never would have thought it needed a weeks drying time. I thought I would be safe with 24 hours.. so an additional label would be useful.

Mine was hard enough to scrape and cut away, but I suppose it is conceivable it wasn't 100% dry in all places.

I stripped down the tank and removed all of the mortar and re-assembled with out it. Oh well.

#47 MrOrange

MrOrange
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

Talk about thread hijack biggrin.gif Anyway, today I decided to give this Mortar another shot. I will fill with water on Friday, so thats 3 full days of drying time.

Will let you know how it goes.

#48 OrangeBemba

OrangeBemba
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

Fantastic tanks.

They look really good.

Not sure if someones already written it. But the black/grey rocks are basalt rock.

I've got these in my 6foot, look really good but are ultra heavy. :-)

#49 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:18 PM

Updated pics and vid. There's a lil bit of brown algae forming, I've added 2 small peppie cats to tackle it.

Daz

#50 MrOrange

MrOrange
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

Update: Mortar allowed a full 72 hours drying time outside (In this heat). Filled it with water today, again it is dissolving into the water.

If it can't dry in 72 hours in 35+ degree heat then there's something wrong with this product. Doing water changes now, hopefully it will stop dissolving and I won't have to remove the whole thing again.

#51 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

much aggression in the tank??
Comps look amazing

#52 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

Aggression aint too bad, none of the fish try to dominate the entire tank. The gold comps push each other around a little but are agile enough to miss the attacks. The cyclindricus pester each other. All good otherwise smile.gif If any of the fish start breeding I'll look at removing the remainder of that species. Still waiting to form some pairs.

Daz

#53 mattt

mattt
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:39 PM

very nice

#54 cichlid4lyf

cichlid4lyf
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

hey daz,
tank looks great so far.
comps look beautiful.

anything happening with the planted side yet?

cheers,
phil

#55 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:39 PM

Not yet Phil but I've been tempted! Does that count?? lol wink.gif

#56 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:46 PM

Once you go planted you will not regret it! Trust me wink.gif

#57 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:54 PM

A bit like "once you go black you won't go back??" (talking about substrate of course wink.gif wink.gif)

Ollie's plant talk @ last night' ANGFA meeting opened my eyes up a bit..... there's a whole new realm outside of just keeping fish.

Daz

#58 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

Yeh....substrate....i know what you meant hehehehe

Yep....there is a lot more than African Cichlids. Natives, Rainbows and Plants.....Its all you need to fill that shed up with!

#59 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

Looking good Dazza.
Keep an eye on the Cylindricus.. They can be very agro.

I've never done a planted tank or even played around with one at any shops Ive worked at. Something I would love to have a crack at, Some of the tanks that Takashi Amano does are amazing.
I think Oliver posted some pics of his tank awhile back and looked very cool.
Do you still have a planted tank Krystal?

Maybe one day I'll pull my finger out and get one up and running.

#60 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

Ive only got a small nano planted HERE atm Az but keep an eye out for my new planted tank.....1500 litres and fully plumbed to hot and cold water and a dedicated drain just to give you an idea.

Sorry Daz....dont mean to jack your thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users