Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Journal: My first marine tank (update Page 4)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:27 PM

(NicholasC)
Craig have you noticed thats your tank i bought from you?

I can say all that has changed is the hard coral has come to life, I have tube worms and some little lice. Ill get my Digital SLR out and get some detail shots. I might buy some shrimp tomorrow and ill update then lol

The 'lice' are probably pods of some kind. Look up amphipod and copepod (maybe isopod). A lot of fish will eat them so they are good to have.

#22 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:16 PM

they are deep sea amphipod, and they bred all over my glass :evil: there is like 200 little spec baby lice lol

#23 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:38 PM

I'll gladly take them if you dont want them biggrin.gif

edit: how long was it til you noticed some, until there were lots and lots?
I've got a few in my tank, but i'd say about 1-2 big ones and 3-4 small ones. Not hundreds like I want tongue.gif

#24 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:12 PM

I was just watching my tank even though nothings in it ahah lol

Then these little shrimp things where fighting each other i freaked out even sent a jar with one in it to steve scubasteve lol i thought they where mantis lol.

When they get bigger just before my lionfish goes in ill scoop you out some and you can call by and pick up a jar full. Also you can have some convict cichlid's lol mine breed again 400 fry!

#25 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:46 PM

Ah, thanks, that will be cool. Hopefully I'll have a sump up and running so I can stick the pods in a fuge.

What lionfish did you end up choosing? If you get a chance before you add the lionfish add some more live rock. Would be cool to have caves for the lion to easily hide in, even though there would be a large swimming space in the middle. It would look cool if you put rocks against two walls relatively steeply (but stable), then had the rest of the aquarium as swimming space.
Plus, with live rock you can just watch it for hours with all the random little things you find on it.

#26 saari

saari
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:12 PM

nice mate, i have a high 2ft marine tank setup aswell, its been running for a good 8 months now, its home to a ocellaris clown, a dusk blennie and 3 turbo snails.
a good site for checking out hitchhikers and wether there reefsafe or not is this one:
http://melevsreef.com/id/

also reef central is a good forum for fast answers and replies.

#27 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:38 PM

Oh no!

Thanks for the link, my little white specs on the glass are actually Copepods 8O

Apparently they are still food for fish so you can still have some i guess biggrin.gif

However, one day I noticed tiny white specks on the glass of my son's tank, and there they were! Copepods are part of the food chain, and you can purchase them online and then add them to your refugium where they can breed in safety. More than reef-safe, these are reef-desirable. They eat small planktonic-sized foods, and are part of the food chain that consumes detritus. Dosing live phytoplankton to your tank will feed these little bugs, which increases their population for your fish to later feast upon. Reef-safe

Looks like there really good.

#28 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

thats definately gonna look fantastic when its complete

cheers
kyle

#29 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:49 PM

Thanks mate,

Yeah i am doing some aquaculture, work experience with a guy in pickering brook right now. But as soon as i get the chance ill get some shrimp then my lionfish. I give it a few days until the shrimp are gone but i want the tank to look nice and tidy for him biggrin.gif

#30 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:01 AM

(NicholasC)
Oh no!

Thanks for the link, my little white specs on the glass are actually Copepods 8O

Apparently they are still food for fish so you can still have some i guess biggrin.gif

Copepods are just as good as amphipods biggrin.gif

Heres a picture of one of my amphipods

Its probably about 5-6mm long. Theres a few smaller ones that are 2-3mm long as well. I think I saw some copepods on the sand once, but they were super tiny (smaller than a grain of sand, so about 0.5mm). I think copepods tend to be smaller, probably getting no bigger than 1-2mm long.

#31 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:34 PM

Update:

Just got today 2 of the coolest fish i have ever had, Blue-Green Chromis. They are like mini Black Bream and they have a magnificent green metallic look to them.

I will post some pics once they have settled in, also i am using a Mac prefer to upload to my comp. :roll:

#32 ant747

ant747
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:54 PM

nice, green chromis are one of my favorite marine fish, i mean they are a bit plain as far as others go, but they are in my top ten,

#33 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:43 PM

Nice Nic smile.gif

I started with 2 chromis to cycle my tank. One ended up in my lionfish's tummy after the first nite I put the lion in. The other is still living with 4 lionfish, stonefish, frogfish etc LOL hehe

Dazza

#34 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:19 AM

Lol how big is he? Surprising how they haven't eaten him 8O

Mine are only 5cm or so

#35 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:20 AM

By the way

These fish are awesome biggrin.gif

I describe them as little firecrackers.
They dart around my tank and i woke up to them both trying to swim into the outlet of my hang on filter lol :roll: they failed miserably but its funny how they work in teams.
One guards the cave i made for my dwarf lion fish while the other swims out.

(ill post some pictures soon)

#36 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:00 PM

Here is he pictures:

Sorry for the Blur they move very fast. Always on the go. I used to just put some sinking pellets in and see them gone by morning but luckily i saw them guzzle up the pellets i just fed them. They are really full of energy and loving my tank biggrin.gif I would have to say thats probably the worst photos on this website... where is my award lol laugh.gif

#37 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

looking awesome smile.gif

#38 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:11 PM

lol
i love green chromis my favoirite marine fish biggrin.gif
green-chromis is my username for photobucket

#39 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:49 PM

Recently had Hlokk over to pick up some Copeopods and he gave me some great advice, I just moved the liverock to make two corner structures and open space in the middle.

One of the first things he said to me was something i was dreading "buy more liverock" something i have been pushing away more and more trying to put it at the back of my to do list but i hate paying $15 per kilo :roll: arr well it is so worth it in the end.

My chromis love the new layout they have two big caves to choose from and hlokk's idea to make a corner cave which i can see in on was great they love it and i get a fantastic view of them.

Ill get some pics to show it soon.

#40 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:50 PM

Also i am thinking of getting a Blue cheeked goby, Also know as a Sand shifting goby.

I know i don't have much substrate but at the rate this red algae is growing on my sand i will desperately need him. Also if the substrate fails they also eat mysis shrimp and brine shrimp so i can keep him fed.

Best to get some of your opinions first don't want to jump right in and cruelly starve a fish because i cannot feed him :roll:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users