How To Move Two 1 Footer Tank Into A 2.5 Footer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sschen

sschen
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

Guys

I have two separate batch of cichlid fry in two separate 1 footer tanks.  The first batch of fry is 3 months old, and the 2nd batch is 2 months old.

They are both at the stage I really need to move them to a bigger tank.

To cut the long story short, I need the space of both 1 footer to put the 2.5 footer tank. So I can't really cycle the 2.5 footer tank.

Is it okay to transfer the water from both 1 footer tanks into the new 2.5 footer tank, and top it up with new water???  Would that work?  Temperatures of both tanks are set the same at 26 degrees.

I have one sponge filter in each of the 1 footer as well, so I will be transferring both sponge filters into the 2.5 footer too.

Thoughts?

#2 Bailey

Bailey
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:25 AM

Go with all new water as long as it is the right temperature and ph with no chlorine etc... Move any filters, substrate and ornaments that may be in the tanks already as beneficial bacteria will be on the surfaces, not in the water. The water in the other tanks is just dirty water that you can get rid of, just keep the temp and ph consistant as well as making sure you keep as much beneficial bacteria as possible so you don't have to wait for the tank to cycle.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

I dont like going all new water in case there is a problem with water from the tap... it happens. Also familiar water conditions will reduce the stress of the move.
Just chuck them all in together with the two sponges and they should be all good.

#4 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:40 PM

That's exactly right sschen.

#5 sschen

sschen
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:56 PM

Guys, thanks very much for your advice. I will have to find some time soon and get the water and sponge filters from both tanks into the bigger tank.  Hopefully I don't lose any of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users