Photo

Royal Whiptail

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 posiedon

posiedon
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

Just found out my male whiptail is guarding a small batch of eggs in my main display tank on the back glass just under the inflow/outflow tubes

What would be my best solution for survival as the tank mates its with are far from peacefull if they were to be left alone.

#2 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:50 AM

to be honest i think they are already feeders..... just they dont know it yet....

they arent easy to raise anyway so unless you want to put in the hard yards i wouldnt worry too much...

they'll spawn many more times in the future.... sometimes they get into a routine of laying every 7-10 days....

#3 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:34 AM

It's easy to get them out if the tankmates leave them until they hatch. When the first one hatches simply use a razor blade and a siphon hose simultaneously to get them out. They will all hatch immediately, then you can watch them gradually die over the next week or two instead of right away in the main tank.

Advice on how to raise them varies but generally includes having them live on a layer of food, as they won't move 2mm to get to food.

#4 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (theonetruepath @ Jan 9 2011, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They will all hatch immediately, then you can watch them gradually die over the next week or two instead of right away in the main tank.

Advice on how to raise them varies but generally includes having them live on a layer of food, as they won't move 2mm to get to food.

It sounds to me like they are hard work.
I couldnt stop laughing when I read this.
Good luck with them all the same.

#5 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

yep, agreed, leave them be, let them be food. better putting them into the food cycle than killing them and then disposing of them. Out of the last 2 batches i had over 40 young, i have 2 that have survived and are now 1-2 inches. Alot of heartbreak with these little guys

#6 posiedon

posiedon
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

theres gotta be a way to do it otherwise they would be be rare as hell. Ive got a few small tanks set up with algae im gonna try survive them.

#7 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

yeah i feed mine crushed wafers and zuccini daily....i stuffed up last batch and fed them a mix of vege and meat and the meat gave them bloat so i lost 5-6 to that, soo steer clear of meats!!!!

i have a log in a bucket out in the sun that has dechlorinated water in it that will hopefully get some algae happening on it and i will stick the little log in the saver....have heard also people feed them amazon sword leaves and they survive....

#8 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:34 PM

What fish do you have in with your whips mate.

#9 posiedon

posiedon
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

5 Riverlatus
3 Electric Yellows
3 Ghost Knifes
2 pleco
3 pictus
8 bristlenose

#10 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (posiedon @ Jan 9 2011, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
theres gotta be a way to do it otherwise they would be be rare as hell. Ive got a few small tanks set up with algae im gonna try survive them.

they arent rare as hell as occasionally a smart ass like myself breeds them and keeps them alive in good numbers.....

i have plenty of fry if ya decide to give up trying to raise your own.... you can buy mine.... tongue.gif

#11 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:06 AM

More patience than me Johnno , i must have watched 10,000 die by now and raised 3 smile.gif

#12 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

mine are in with 6 L333's but there only around 5cm, once the 333's start breeding (fingers crossed) they will get moved. There are also about 40 cherry shrimp and about 15 apple snails. Mine breed over near the filter between the intake of the canister and internal filter, snails cant get there which is good and the 333's havnt srtarted hunting the eggs yet. I have 14 in a saver at the moment, pretty sure the 333's sniped about 20 before i could catch them, they hatched through the night the buggers.

ps. ive nagged jonno for information but he wont easily give hehe.....jjks thanks for all your help jonno!

#13 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (Scat @ Jan 10 2011, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More patience than me Johnno , i must have watched 10,000 die by now and raised 3 smile.gif

yeah but i bet they were 3 nice looking fish..... lol... the more survivors you get the more you get the odd deformity or melted fin disease (my name for it) when their fins look melted and munted...
sometimes you get 50 good ones in a spawn... but they can still drop off at anytime from 1cm-7cm without too much of a reason....
bigger than 8cm and they are almost bullet proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users