4ft Discus Tank

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jordan58

jordan58
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:37 PM

hi all

i have just started my 4ft discus tank so it is not finished yet but i thought i would share it with you all to see what you have to say so far.

Tank: 4x18x18
Lighting: 8x54W T5 (thanks Matt(lawdog))
filtration: 2x power head filters (thanks again Matt) (hope to add eihem classic 2217 soon)
substrate: silica sand (hope to change to aqua soil in a few months)
Inhabitants:

40 or so cherry shrimp
pair of orange spot BNs
hope to add 5 juvie discus

Plants:

java moss
hope to add some swords,java ferns,anubus and some others

please feel free to comment.

thanks

FTS
Attached File  PC050030.JPG   693.99KB   191 downloads
Some java moss with one of my holding females (all the rest are hiding)
Attached File  PC050041.JPG   32.56KB   93 downloads

#2 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

Looks great so far. 2 main things I think you should expect are the 1. You'll need a bigger tank eventually (watch them sometimes they don't like the strong current too, you can always face filter outlets towards the glass) and 2. When the Discus get bigger, the shrimp population will get smaller...

Look forward to seeing lots of updates! smile.gif

#3 jordan58

jordan58
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

i know that the discus will eventully out grow the tank so i hope to only have a pair in there.
lots of updates are to come so don't worry wink.gif

ThanxSmiley.gif

#4 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:14 PM

Jordan, looking very good. The stand came up well and there is a surplus of available lighting, forgot to mention me on the stand though (haha) I will send you through a discus book, so keep an eye on your messages. I have bought another 2 discus this week (Fourdapostle has much to answer for). If there is anything else you need let me know. Still have heaps of the black basalt if you want a stony contrast.

Cheers Matt

#5 jordan58

jordan58
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

thanks matt

congrats on the new discus smile.gif

#6 jordan58

jordan58
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:32 AM

hi

i am sorry to inform you that this tank is now for sale due to my parents not being happy with such a big tank (for me) being in the house.

but however don't worry cause i will be getting a new tank (next year hopefully) this one will be larger and hopefully more better looking than this one, as soon as i can convince my parents that i won't make a mess anymore dry.gif

thanks

#7 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:38 PM

Ouch. SOrry to hear that man.

#8 jordan58

jordan58
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:23 PM

ok good news now

i just talked to my dad about it and he is now ok with me having the tank again so i will be continuing with this project. biggrin.gif

thanks

#9 the pulpican man

the pulpican man
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

sounds good! good luck with discus, they are picky fish! lol

tom

#10 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

Things that will improve your life when the discus go in:
- Some of those 20L white plastic reinforced trade buckets (about $10 each)
- Alternatively some 25L water storage cubes. These are the type you can take camping to bring your own water. They stack, have a place to put in a tap, and most importantly they have a screw on lid that seals. Invaluable in your case it seems if you'll be carrying large amounts of water through the house. You can use these to age your water and bring it up to the right temperature, add trace elements, etc. (about $25 each)
- A length of large hose (I sell food grade stuff at BCF) for when you just want a water change, rather than a gravel vac. My hose will fill a 20L bucket in about 30 secs but isn't so large that the fish get stressed (about $5) You are going to be doing a lot of water changes if you want to grow those juvies up to big, tasty adult discus smile.gif
- Indian almond leaves are a cheap alternative to peat (or an RO/DI unit) if your water is particularly hard (containing metals) and you want to soften it. There are a couple of documents around the web for what's in the water of each perth suberb. You can order the leaves from a couple on here or probably mooch some from some of the other Discus keepers on here smile.gif

With the juvies to grow them big and strong you want to be feeding them frequently and vaccuming up the leftovers after a little while. It really depends on how old you go for. Some keepers feed their little discus 4+ times daily.

There are a few people here who keep or have kept some beautiful discus. Have a look in the photos and ask lots and lots of questions.

I know you probably have heard these things before but it always helps to say them just in case... smile.gif

#11 jordan58

jordan58
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

thanks kieran

will take that into concideration.

thanks

#12 jordan58

jordan58
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:22 PM

project has been put on hold for a little bit cause i am not so sure i wanna do that many water changes a week so have sorta change to large American cichlids for a bit until i get another upgrade. i'll be making a journal in the tankbuster section.

#13 tha_krust

tha_krust
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

if you can afford to buy discus, you can afford to move out of your folks house and have as many tanks and whatever size you want...i know i just bought another 15 tanks to ad to the 20 i already had and they will all soon be full of discus!!!....mind you when i first started keeping discus, i flushed $800 worth of fish in the first month!!!!

#14 jordan58

jordan58
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

well i just need to wait 1 year before i can move out and then cool.gif

#15 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

Hey it's ok man. I moved out when I was 18 and I keep discus smile.gif So there's living proof!

#16 jordan58

jordan58
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

a least i know i have a chance now ThanxSmiley.gif

#17 jordan58

jordan58
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:51 AM

well people the project is back online biggrin.gif

only this time it is on a smaller scale of 3x18x18 and i will be getting some discus tonight.
will post some pics up asap when the discus go in.

thanks,
Jordan

#18 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (polleni @ Nov 22 2009, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Out of interest how much are you changing on juvi tanks kieran?

I built a water pump with a long hose using a pump from a boating store that can run dry without damage. Lets me do water changes two or thee times a week no problems smile.gif changing 30-50% in the 300L tank with buckets got old fast.

QUOTE (jordan58)
This time it is on a smaller scale of 3x18x18 and i will be getting some discus tonight.

Glad to hear it's up and running again smile.gif You will need a bigger tank eventually. Harsh I know but it's just the truth. Just remember to do lots of partial water changes with that small volume. And when you buy them, these guides might help.
Selecting Tips
Choosing the Good from the Junk
What NOT to Buy
There's another really good one but I can't seem to find it...

I've had a good experience with Craig's home made discus food. He's got the recipe here. While you don't have to make your own discus food, if you keep track of your budget it'll probably be cheaper to make it than to buy something. Plus you don't know what's in fish processed foods, just like people processed foods smile.gif

And finally there are some nice articles at SimplyDiscus. Happy tanking smile.gif

#19 jordan58

jordan58
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

hi all

thanks Kieran for the advice, i now have started my collection with 2 juvie red neon turqs and a breeding pair of blue snake skins, i will post some pics up soon.

thanks,
Jordan

#20 Kieran

Kieran
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:29 PM

Congratulations! It's nice to see another discus keeper smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users