Photo

Nice Addition

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 shane427

shane427
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:24 PM

Look forward to brousing through future posts in this section. Will one day set up a marine tank biggrin.gif

#2 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

A marine section was requested by a number of people so we have decide to put one up to give it a try. Hopefully it becomes another active board with plenty of usefull information.

Tony

#3 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

*listens to the crickets*

#4 temptazn

temptazn
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:13 PM

did u see that tumbleweed go by? or were u just sleeping just then? haha

yeh i bet this will be an interesting board (hopefully)

*crossed fingers for lots of pics!!!*

#5 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:52 PM

come on guys give it time, its been up for what 2 days,
theres plenty of other boards that havent had posts in that time

#6 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:03 PM

Aight...

I'll be the "brave"! I have a spare 2foot tank, sitting around and doing nothing...

So, I'll set it up and test the result of a "nano" saltwater aquarium in about 2 weeks time. I'll post pics when completed...

I hope more people will set up marine tanks soon.... lolz

Kevin.

P.S: Hints and input would be most welcome!

#7 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:34 AM

nice work kevin!
I was planning to do the same thing with a spare tank...but now i might wait and see how it goes for you smile.gif

make sure you keep us updated with the progress

ado

#8 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

Ado, thanks for your support!

Anyways, below is a list of the equipment I'll be using:

60cmx30cmx30cm tank
Aquaclear 30 H.O.B filter
100w heater
Cook Industrial substrate (I'm using these in my cichlid tank, and they look awesome! Thanks to Les from Malaga Aquarium for recommending them!)

* I won't be using a skimmer because I'll be using live rock.
* The tank will only have about 3 fish so the filter will be suitable.
* I'll be using fake coral

Remember guys, this will only be a "test" tank, so don't expect great barrier reef stuff!!! LOLZ

I'm quite busy at the moment, so please give me a bit of time... 2-3 weeks and I'll upload photos.. i'll also upload photos of my 5ft "reef" cichlid tank.. which I've set up about 3 weeks ago.

Cheers!

Kevin.

#9 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

Just as you have liverock dosent mean u dont need a skimmer, actually it works more the other way.
I would deffenrly recommend using a skimmer they are a wonder in marine tanks

also why use fake coral?
with not to much more work or to much more price you can get some easy low light corals like zooanthiads.

Regards
Sam

#10 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

Hi Sam!

I appreciate your advice. This is going to be a "test" tank using stuff I already have. I'm sure there's heaps of fishkeepers with standard equipment lying around gathering dust that if my experiment works, people might be able to setup nano marine tanks with minimal effort. When I buy a new home sometime next year, I'll be going all-out on a marine aquarium, with a budget of $15k - $20k, with all top of the line saltwater equipment and livestock (sump, skimmer, timed powerheads, live coral etc..).

But at the moment, I have a spare tank and dont know what to do with it, so I'm experimenting with marine fishkeeping.

Thanks for your advice though Sam! smile.gif

Regards
Kevin.

#11 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

if your going to delve in to the world of marine go to this site before you start. http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB2/
it will help, and just a thought remove the hob filter and just throw in a couple of powerheads.
Another thought is if your not going to use a skimmer you may want to have weekly water changes.

#12 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Neakit @ Apr 15 2008, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if your going to delve in to the world of marine go to this site before you start. http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB2/
it will help, and just a thought remove the hob filter and just throw in a couple of powerheads.
Another thought is if your not going to use a skimmer you may want to have weekly water changes.

Geez guys!

I really appreciate all the help and advice but....can I please make this clear... I am not setting up a full marine tank! I'm only experimenting with "Basic equipment" that many fishkeepers might have lying around. If my experiment works, it might help others try their hand at simple marine fishkeeping. I

Regards
Kevin.

#13 Ado1968

Ado1968
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:25 AM

Kevin
i can see where you are coming from...i did a similar experiment with a 4 foot tank i used basic gear i had lying around but i did invest in a skimmer and some more upmarket lighting...worked real well . basically the conversion cost me around $300-$400 which i thought wasn't too bad for a reef tank..

#14 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

if your only going to experiment with out research you will be fighting an up hill battle, go to the site and ask around or you may be making more dramas for yourself than you first thought.

#15 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Neakit @ Apr 16 2008, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if your only going to experiment with out research you will be fighting an up hill battle, go to the site and ask around or you may be making more dramas for yourself than you first thought.

I'm going to prove some of you guys wrong... tongue.gif

P.S: I'm not having a go at you ok? Just want to prove that it can be done with basic equipment...(FYI, I've tried this while spending 6mths overseas. 2foot tank with just a chinese-made top-mount trickle filter...fish were doing well..... 1 clown fish and 3 blue/green chromis)

Cheers!

Kevin

#16 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

U can easily get away without using a skimmer in a fish only tank. U can also get away without using one in a reef tank assuming u have the right stocking levels and plently of flow with live rock. Both Gav's tank and my tank are currently running without skimmers.

Dazza

#17 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Apr 16 2008, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
U can easily get away without using a skimmer in a fish only tank. U can also get away without using one in a reef tank assuming u have the right stocking levels and plently of flow with live rock. Both Gav's tank and my tank are currently running without skimmers.

Dazza

Thank you Dazza for pointing this out! That's exactly what I'm trying to prove! Having a basic marine tank with basic equipment...on a smaller scale though!

Cheers!

#18 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:37 PM

it has been proven before many times, the older way used to be with a under gravel filter. not having a go at you, just trying to make it a bit easier for you

#19 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Neakit @ Apr 17 2008, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it has been proven before many times, the older way used to be with a under gravel filter. not having a go at you, just trying to make it a bit easier for you

Yeah bro.. i know you're trying to help and I appreciate it.... i really do.

However, this discussion is relatively new (marine) on this forum... and not many people have posted about their set-up etc.. and I have a spare 2footer lying around with a heater and HOB filter, so I thought I'd set-up a basic marine tank. I'm also going to order a top-mount filter from Age of Aquariums (similiar to the filter unit i used while overseas).

I'll post detailed pics and information, so if i'm successful again, it might give others some thoughts on setting one up as well.. I'm sure there's plenty of people who dream of having a marine tank but thought it'll be too expensive, too demanding etc..

I'm on a mission (at my own expense and time! lolz) to prove that simple marine fishkeeping can be done so others can have a try at it!

Cheers all!

Kevin.

#20 aqua86

aqua86
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Apr 16 2008, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah bro.. i know you're trying to help and I appreciate it.... i really do.

However, this discussion is relatively new (marine) on this forum... and not many people have posted about their set-up etc.. and I have a spare 2footer lying around with a heater and HOB filter, so I thought I'd set-up a basic marine tank. I'm also going to order a top-mount filter from Age of Aquariums (similiar to the filter unit i used while overseas).

I'll post detailed pics and information, so if i'm successful again, it might give others some thoughts on setting one up as well.. I'm sure there's plenty of people who dream of having a marine tank but thought it'll be too expensive, too demanding etc..

I'm on a mission (at my own expense and time! lolz) to prove that simple marine fishkeeping can be done so others can have a try at it!

Cheers all!

Kevin.

hows the tank coming along, got pics ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users