Photo

Pond Algae Problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

My pond (photos in off the wall) has a major algae problem. It was starting just before I went away, and when I got back from overseas yesterday for two weeks, the pond was full on green matty algae covering everything. Not sure exactly what caused the problem, it had been running fine even with sunny days for a couple of months.
I've completely emptied the pond now, and saved the couple of fish that were still alive. Pygmy perch are tough little buggers, but only one black bream still alive.

I'm looking for advice from Sponsors or experienced pond people.
What is the best way to prevent this happening again?
UV or chemicals?
I'm thinking I need a UV filter of sorts. I don't want a biological filter as I am using a small aquaponics setup to deal with that issue. I dug the pond myself, but I'd estimate it was about 1000L.
Anyone have any suggestions for the best thing to use to prevent these algae outbursts?
Ideas and prices from Sponsors are welcome.

Cheers,
Ado

#2 Ricksta

Ricksta
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:44 PM

hey mate i dont have a great deal of experience with pond's but i do have one my self it's approx 700ltr

my filtration is 2x 2400lph pumps both feed into 2 filter box's at each end of my pond one of witch has a built in uv light, i run the uv light for 8 hour's a day on a timer

the pond is in full sun and has shade cloth over it i still have problem's with algae, but since i added the filter with the uv light it's slowed it down alot

i also find those Chinese algae eater to be pretty hardy in my pond and the help with the algae too

my pond is not heated it usually sits between 15-19 degrees

HTH

#3 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:04 PM

I get that too. My mate who has had a pond for many years says he gets that stringy algae every Spring, and it gives up around late December but comes back in Autumn ready for the Spring explosion again.

The more food/fertiliser you put in the pond the more algae you get. The more Sun the more algae. Even with no Sun, just daylight is enough.

More plants, less algae. Less fish, less algae.

But at the end of the day, you get algae in ponds!

I noticed my glass shrimps nibble on it during the night. If I had about 25 million of them I reckon they'd about wipe it out.

#4 fishfingers

fishfingers
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:28 PM

I have a sump on my pond and i run a UV light on that and it is crystal clear year round. You can run one it inline with your current pump. Just make sure you compare the flow rate on your pump to the max flow rate on the UV light, the pump can be slower that the max flow rate of the UV light but not vice versa.

Purchased the UV light from Vebas

Pete

#5 barratoga

barratoga
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:48 PM

Ado...Have been there big time with algae a few years ago. Only solution for me was an" oasis " or" velda" itronic. Solved the problem to perfection. I am going to set them up again tomorrow for the summer. One in the pond and my smaller one in my 600 ltr black tubs..Oliver at aquotix can probally head you in the right direction if you want. No chemical, no uv, no problem....Cheers Ray

#6 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

thanks for the info guys. i think the algae bloom was caused by a nitrate spike when my filter stopped working for a short while. the water looked like pea soup...no algae eater was going to sort that out!! smile.gif
once my filter is all back up and running properly, i shouldn't have too much of a problem again, but I'd like to install a system to prevent it getting that bad again.

What else can you tell me about the itronic system Ray? Sounds interesting.
I'll probably pop into aquotix or vebas one day this week for a chat with the guys.

Cheers,
ado

#7 Rod

Rod
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

My pond has never had an algae problem.....but I have lots of plants

Water iris in pots in middle of pond

filter is a terracotta pot .....geofabric on base...100 mm charcoal,200mm zeolite,large gravel the rest
pond pump takes in water via sponge filter.....water is then pumped to bottom of terracotta pot and overflows back into pot

Pot is planted out with bog plants.....
lots of bacopa around edges

I don't have a lot of aquatic plants......the bog plants use up all the nutrients(and grow like mad)
nothing left for algae to use....I dump in my excess duckweed but this is quickly eaten by Goldfish

#8 theonetruepath

theonetruepath
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Rod @ Sep 28 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My pond has never had an algae problem.....but I have lots of plants

Water iris in pots in middle of pond

filter is a terracotta pot .....geofabric on base...100 mm charcoal,200mm zeolite,large gravel the rest
pond pump takes in water via sponge filter.....water is then pumped to bottom of terracotta pot and overflows back into pot

Pot is planted out with bog plants.....
lots of bacopa around edges

I don't have a lot of aquatic plants......the bog plants use up all the nutrients(and grow like mad)
nothing left for algae to use....I dump in my excess duckweed but this is quickly eaten by Goldfish

Well jeez, this was a pond thread not a rockery thread.

Seriously, if you can't see the water then the algae can't see any light!

#9 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (barratoga @ Sep 26 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ado...Have been there big time with algae a few years ago. Only solution for me was an" oasis " or" velda" itronic. Solved the problem to perfection. I am going to set them up again tomorrow for the summer. One in the pond and my smaller one in my 600 ltr black tubs..Oliver at aquotix can probally head you in the right direction if you want. No chemical, no uv, no problem....Cheers Ray

Aquotix has sold quite a few of these units and all I can say is they work a treat! As Ray mentioned he has had heaps of success with his units, and his pond isnt exactly 'small' tongue.gif

The iTronic is an inline unit that has a removable copper anode installed, the iTroinc also has an inbuilt controller that you can set the intensity of the unit, lower settings for a small string algae outbreak or for maintenance....a higher setting for large outbreaks. Eventually the copper anode needs to be replaced (much like U.V tubes do) but the replacement time will vary, depending on the application.

Best of Giving Aquotix a call on 9455 1411 or pop into the store because like all hardware, its not suited for all pond set-ups.

#10 Guest_Davo-B_*

Guest_Davo-B_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:55 AM

Hey Guys it could be food that your feeding your fish and the best way to clear your pond is to buy a pressure filter from bunnings about $110 and a small pump.In winter fish need to be feed only once a day or every 2 days, koi mainly do there growing in summer months, i breed these guys have for about 15 years so i have a little knowledge but im still learning that the only tips i have Cheers Davo

#11 Sparky

Sparky
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (Krystal @ Sep 28 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aquotix has sold quite a few of these units and all I can say is they work a treat! As Ray mentioned he has had heaps of success with his units, and his pond isnt exactly 'small' tongue.gif

The iTronic is an inline unit that has a removable copper anode installed, the iTroinc also has an inbuilt controller that you can set the intensity of the unit, lower settings for a small string algae outbreak or for maintenance....a higher setting for large outbreaks. Eventually the copper anode needs to be replaced (much like U.V tubes do) but the replacement time will vary, depending on the application.

Best of Giving Aquotix a call on 9455 1411 or pop into the store because like all hardware, its not suited for all pond set-ups.

will these affect my shrimp and tadpoles and frogs in my pond??
how much do they cost to buy and roughly what wattage are these units

#12 Guest_Davo-B_*

Guest_Davo-B_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2009 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (Sparky @ Oct 6 2009, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
will these affect my shrimp and tadpoles and frogs in my pond??
how much do they cost to buy and roughly what wattage are these units
They normally are 9w uv or a 11w uv if you use these really cheap use good quality food like hikari koi food this problem should clear up in 2-3 Days make sure you keep the filters running 24/7 cause on hot days the collected muck will go sour and could kill all your hard work my pond is 5000 lts and never get stringy alge

#13 lightning

lightning
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

string algae is a curse, it is actually an aquatic plant rather than an algae. When removed from a pond and allowed to dry out it releases spores. These spores become airborne and if they land in your pond....bingo. A pond that never had a problem before has now. The copper injection devices are effective as is oase string algae control granules. It prefers alkaline conditions like concrete ponds and if you do get it, please dispose of it in a bin rather than baking it in the sun and spreading your misfortune to your neighbors. I have found the guys at watergarden world balcatta extremely helpful in the past.

#14 taipan

taipan
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:16 AM

I stumbled across this site while looking for something else. I haven't got a pond to try it out on but it seems that it would work.

http://www.skippysst...om/biofiltr.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users