Beginner Learning The Hard Way

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GreenStreet

GreenStreet
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hi All,

Like most of you always wanted fish never really had the opportunity.  Purchased my first tank in Jan a little 50 L Aqua one put a couple of dwarf Gourami and a few tetras Pretty little tank I 

Attached File  tank1.JPG   138.78KB   0 downloads

things went well for the first month, then I found a few fish on and bench next to the tank, lid didn't cover everything. Found a Gourami dead on at the bottom of the tank like he had been eating stones.  Had an out break of algae, I liked the tank to be clean, and maintained it religiously once a week turns out the filter shouldn't be included but that lead to a clean up squad of 4 bristles .  Went on a 2 week holiday spoke to my LFS got the good oil on plants and a weekend food block came home to happy healthy all accounted for Fish.  Like the plants some much jumped to to the City farmers just down the road and grab some more.  A couple of days later I started to notice white spots on everything, followed the standard treatment via google experts.... lost a large chunk of my 12 originals one glow light and 2 Black neon's was it.  Since then the 10 neon replacement did well and the Bristles have breed so ended up with 30-40 BNs swimming around the tank.  

Time for an upgrade, any excuse really....

from this

Attached File  tank2.JPG   79.69KB   0 downloads 

to this

Attached File  tank3.JPG   107.39KB   0 downloads

While I I love the location it has certainly provided me with a few technical challenges that I am working my way through,  everything from my old tank is in the new one for now..  Any advise would be gladly accepted.

Tank is 4 x 14 x 18 I have internal 900 lph and my old clear view 200, will be picking up a Canister in the next day or so

10 neon tetras

2 black neons

1 glow-light

30-40 bristles.

and a recent addition of 5 Juvenal latifasciata, I am shifting to a Cichlid tank.

Attached File  photo 5.JPG   117.67KB   0 downloads

2 days after this shot and a week into the new setup I have the demon white spots on my new additions, I am guessing the filtration is not up to the task and too impatient... I had been doing a 2 bucket water change every night about 20 liters, do I put a new filter in while there is white spot in my tank?

In the end I will have it looking like it was built into the wall but all in good time my wife tells me.

Attached Files

#2 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

1) Welcome!

2) For white spot, make sure there is plenty of air via venturi or airstone bubbling into the tank, then feed less while turning the heater up so the tank sits at 32 degrees. This will help a lot.

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:49 AM

Species like neons are apparently quite susceptable to white spot. I only ever had white spot once and it was some neons id chucked in with some shrimp bn and royal whiptails.
Lost 2 whiptails out of the ordeal... As Kleinze said, get the temp to over 30 and keep it there for the maximum life cycle of white spot... If you are not the full bottle on white spot my advice is to read up on the life cycle. Its a complex disease but really quite simple to treat if you catch it early

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

Also for what its worth my experience buying fish from city farmers isnt great. I have bought fish from them on three occasions and each time had at least one die within 24 hours... Never had this issue with fish from Vebas or Aquotix... Not slagging them off, its just my experience.

#5 GreenStreet

GreenStreet
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, after the last episode I had I did a lot of research search on white spot so as soon as I noticed the Temp went up, air pump stays on venturi was going anyway. I also have a bottle of Water life Protozin, so followed the dosing instructions of 20ml for 200 litlers day 1,2,3 and 6

Also re-reading my post the timeline wasn't very clear my first lot of spot was 8 months ago, the New tank is 2 weeks and the latifasciata a week. I thought having a low stock level I would get away with it perhaps all the 2 month old BN have a much higher bio load than I realised. I had been checking water morning and night and changing 10 % a day because I was not sure I had sufficient filtration, no fish where purchased at City farmers.

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

Given you are changing water regularly i dont think your filtration is that bad... 40 bn is a lot though.
Also, i cursed myself with my last post above when i said i had only had white spot once... I came home from work tonight to see spots on some of my perch... now i gotta try and get a 1600ltr outdoor tank upto 30+for the next week.

#7 GreenStreet

GreenStreet
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

1600ltr is massive good luck with that malawiman, all my little guys have cleared right up!  Time to thin out the BN herd a little I think, found another bunch of eggs.... Might have to separate the horny little buggers. 

#8 AXIS

AXIS
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

I liked the tank to be clean, and maintained it religiously once a week turns out the filter shouldn't be included but that lead to a clean up squad of 4 bristles

You probably have worked this out now but just to make sure you understand what to do now, you can clean your filter. (although don't need to do it very often).

But rinse out anything to do with the filter in tank water, not water from the tap.

Edited by AXIS, 28 October 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#9 GreenStreet

GreenStreet
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Yeah thanks mate that is exactly what I was doing at the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users