Siamese Tiger Microlepsis

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:16 PM

Hey guys,

Ive just recently bought a Siamese tiger fish (4cm) atm he eats mainly blood worms, i tried chopping prawn up into small pieces hoping he would eat it but almost completely ignored it, after realizing that was all that was coming it got some in its mouth and then refused to eat it. Will he eventually eat other things when it gets bigger?

Any advice in raising these fish would be great!
Cheers :?

Heres a pic

#2 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:42 AM

He looks awesome. Im not expert on these guys but he looks pretty full up and plump in the picture, so maybe hes not hungry :wink:

#3 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

Try some gambusia, dats usually eat everything in sight so it shouldnt be long before he starts eating, like craig said though hes got a fair ol gut him now so maybe he just aint hungry

#4 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

maybe put some live food in there eg new born convicts that might get him into hunting laugh.gif

#5 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:34 PM

no no sorry guys he is eating very well but only blood worms i would like to wean him onto frozen prawns, i dont want him to get onto feeders atm trying to get him onto convienient foods for when he gets big.

#6 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:36 AM

yeh my two lil fellas love blood worm...( same batch as jason )

the bigger of the two is starting to pick on the smaller, so ive added some feeders in hope they will concentrate on them instead...over the 1st week nothing, but today i came hm frm work and three were missing... tongue.gif

looking like i'll have to seperate them soon though... :cry: crap!

#7 piscevore

piscevore
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:35 AM

Feed him as much bloodworm as it can manage every morning and night for a week, then stop feeding it bloodworm and give it prawns at the same time of day. If it doesnt eat the prawns fish em out and chuck em in the bin then keep trying. Dont worry if it doesnt eat for a while After been fed so heavily on the blood worms it will have enough stored energy to last for ages. To put it in perspective when I got my first two barra they wouldnt eat anything for the first month and they were fine. Just keep an eye on the fish and make sure it hasnt started to deteriorate (ie get skinny)

#8 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

How are everyones dats going?

#9 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:36 PM

Cheers for the replies my dat is well, he now eats prawn and has probably grown two and a half times bigger.
I find that he is pretty skittish he definitley holds his own against a peacock bass and arowana but is a little shy with me, hope he gets a bit more tame, he likes to hide alot he only comes to the front when he's hungry then hides again after he gets a bit of food :?

#10 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:42 PM

oh i also found out from monsterfishkeepers and was corrected that its not a siamese tiger fish (d.pulcher) or wide bar its an indo dat(d.microlepis) something new to me 8O

#11 temptazn

temptazn
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:12 AM

wats wrong with just feeding them bloodworms??? do u need to change??
if they seem happy then just stick with it that way i reckon

#12 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2007 - 12:56 AM

You can i suppose but i personally didn't think that its not going to be enough nutrients for this fish especially in the long run. Anyways i have successfully weaned him on to prawn and he has had a nice growth spurt.

#13 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:48 AM

ditto...

mines look at blood worm and think... lets skip the entre, bring on the prawn buddy! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#14 rock_lee

rock_lee
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

This fish looks nice, im curious where can i grab these little guys from in Perth?

#15 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:38 PM

They are pretty hard to get at the moment because they are seasonal. There are none for sale in perth other than the ones at midland aquariums and they are asking $1000 minimum each! Dont think they really want to sell. :roll:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users