Photo

Limestone Rock

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brado20

brado20
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

A few weeks ago i bought a limestone rock to put in my Malawi tank that i'm setting up when i got home i realized that the rock was a marine rock it smells a bit like salt water and has some beach sand through the rock. I have had this rock soaking in freshwater for about a week and take it out every day change the water and hose the rock before putting it back in, it still has some sand through it but it appears that i wont be able to get all the sand out. Will this still be ok to put in my Malawi tank?

cheers brado

#2 kevy73

kevy73
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:02 PM

I wouldn't have thought it to be too big an issue... if you can get a salinity check on the water to find out how many parts per whatever the measure is I guess that would be an idea. Try your local LFS to see if they can check the salinity of the water.

#3 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:31 PM

I can't see there being enough salt in there to be a hassle, especially as you have soaked & washed it.

After all, salt is the first line of defense in treating many ailments.

Col

#4 brado20

brado20
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

Ok thanks, i thought it would be alright but i thought it would be best to check first.

Brado

#5 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:28 PM

To avoid importing anything nasty, I usually douse the limestone in boiling water as well. I don't know if it's effective but it's peace of mind for me and doesn't require much effort.

#6 mdk54

mdk54
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

Don't mean to Hijack the thread, but thought I'd put it in here as it's related.
A friend of mine recently picked up a heap of good looking driftwood from the beach. What should I do to it to be able to put this in my tank? Boiling water? Will any salt absorbed by the wood have an adverse effect?

Cheers
Ian

#7 Warby

Warby
  • Validating

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:52 AM

MDK: Give it a good clean, douse it in boiling water, soak it for a couple of weeks, replacing the water every 3-4 days, douse again in boiling water.. that's what I would do anyway. May or may not be what others would suggest heh.. Might be worth giving it a bit of a chlorine or bleach bath too..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users