Photo

Aquarium Mass Extinction

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 eds0328

eds0328
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:28 PM

Hi guys over the past week I have lost more than half of my livestock. I have a 220l tropical community tank including discus, various tetras some Rams and a pleco.(loaches unfortunately fell victim) I am at a loss for what is wrong. All my parameters are perfect

Ammonia 0.25(but my test kit always reads 0.25, api)
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
pH 6.8

I have observed some of the fish swimming erratically and brushing against aquarium decorations.

The only thing I have changed in the last week is slowly raising the temp and replacing an underpowered heater to increase my temp to 28C

Any ideas?

Eds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:27 PM

I would recommend getting your water double checked (get it tested by a reputable store - add your location to your profile so we can advise you where to go)
Getting a nitrate of 0ppm is concerning with that number of fish - either the test kits are not in date or the methods of testing are not in line with directions.... Or you might be right... But best to get someone else to double check it... If conditions are perfect, then post up more info.... We will find a cause and then a cure.

#3 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:17 AM

I have in the past noticed that the ammonia test is quite suspect and subject to low readings when it is older.

What is the expiry date on the bottles?

#4 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:25 AM

nitrate readings are way out if you dont shake the bottles long enough and hard enough :)

#5 eds0328

eds0328
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:00 AM

I have tested again this morning and still all readings are zero. Expiry is 2018. And I'm located in Kalgoorlie.

#6 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:52 AM

Im not sure who still operates out there.... But go to your local and ask if they can test using their kits.
Tap water in your area will have ammonia (from chloramine).
You will need an appropriate water conditioner to begin with such as API Stresscoat plus, Prime or similar - it must state that it binds ammonia.
Get a sample of bottled drinking water and test that for ammonia - expect 0... This will assist in identifying whether you do have a low level of ammonia or not.
When you use the API nitrate kit - shake bottle #2 vigorously (it is a powder in suspension - you need to get the powder that has settled on the bottom of the bottle to stir up) - you should expect at least 5ppm if the tank has been established for more than 6 weeks.

Any level of ammonia or nitrite will cause the fish discomfort and they will tend the flash and scratch.

If that is all clear, then check for whitespot (google images)

Let us know what you come up with - we can go from there.

#7 25GTT

25GTT
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

Certainly not as much of an expert as some of the other comments on here, and please take my suggestions with a grain of salt, but do your fish have white spots or a sand like grains on them?

White spot wont change parameters but does make fish brush themselves up against decorations etc.

I had it years ago and managed to put a blue chemical in the water which fixed it.

I dont think white spot kills them but it does weaken them to a level which any chemical in balance in the water can then kill them....

Hope you understand my logic in my suggestions. When i read brushing up against the ornaments its the first thing i thought of then the normal levels seconded my thought.

#8 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:01 AM

Spot on GT, the "rubbing" can be a sign of irritation from parasites or bacterial infection, the blue liquid your referring to is methylene blue, a good multi cure. i use a product called ichonex for treating white spot and once a month I use bactonex in all my tanks to control any nastys :)
It's also possible that the tap water has changed in chemistry slightly and this is affecting fish health

#9 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:59 PM

The occasonal fish scratching is the first sign of your water being off. Do a 50% water change and lift your aquarium maintenance.

#10 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

I would agree 100% with Docfish. The readings you describe do not sound right for an established tank. Regular water changes are always a positive. From my understanding any town west of Northam uses chloramine iin the water supply, so as mentioned ensure your decholinator is effective on Chloramine as well.

Tony

#11 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2014 - 12:05 PM

East?

#12 eds0328

eds0328
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:00 PM

Okay guys to enable me to properly clean out my tank I have removed all ornaments and half the gravel. Wow was it filthy.

I have also done a few water changes and am now treating with iconex as a precaution.

Hopefully my tank is up and running by the end of the weak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users