Photo

What Products To Use After A Water Change

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 emmz-cichlids

emmz-cichlids
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:21 AM

Hey guys now I am well aware how basic this question is but I'm wanting to know when you do your water change what products do you use to condition the water. I no everyone has their own way in doing this and I would love to expand my knowledge within this area, I have an 8x2x2 with mostly African cichlids but do have 3 Americans in there as well which are very placid fish, my peacocks are actually running the tank atm.... So please share info if you can, I would appreciate it sooo much

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:00 AM

Prime as per the instructions. Thats it. Any decent water conditioner is really all ive ever used for malawi's, tangs, a few americans, the usual community fish and a wide variety of native fish.

There was a point where I didnt use water conditioner for africans just used to leave water over night but I think it was Ollie who posted something here once that convinced me to go back to water conditioners.

#3 JimmyTheFish

JimmyTheFish
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:38 AM

I have tried lots of different water conditioner's and found the liquid ones to be expensive and almost useless.

I use Aquotix's water conditioner. It's a powder that has various chemicals that directly remove chlorine and chloramine as well as chelating agents to remove heavy metals. I add it as I begin to fill my tank back up and have never lost a single fish during a water change or after.

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:48 AM

"Almost useless"... Can you please explain that. If thats the case Im sure a lot of people would be keen to hear your findings..

#5 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:02 PM

I had a similar question a few months ago. The final answer I got was try out Prime.

http://www.perthcich...topic=60095&hl=

#6 Stuey

Stuey
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

two days before I do a water change I run water from the garden tap to two 220l barrels, add my buffers to match the conditions to those in the tank and age and aerate (and in the winter I heat). Just before I pump the water out the barrels and into the tank I add Prime to lock up the nasties. In my experience this is the best way to ensure stress levels stay to a minimum during a change.

#7 emmz-cichlids

emmz-cichlids
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:31 PM

So are you guys just using Prime and nothing else?

#8 Leigh

Leigh
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:56 PM

I do prime and a couple of handfuls of pool salt.

#9 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

I throw in some Prime or a Prime clone, and from time to time some lake salts.

#10 emmz-cichlids

emmz-cichlids
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:18 PM

Yes I always use salt, does wonders when it comes to healing, does prime have aloe Vera as well?

#11 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

I use API tap water conditioner and a bit of conditioning salt

Saying that there's been times where I've done many a water change with no products at all with no undesired effects

#12 TJ__74

TJ__74
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:05 PM

Is Stress Coat + ok to use?  I currently fill a 20 litre bucket when doing a water change, and put 3-4 mls per bucket.

#13 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

Yep its good stuff... not all that economical though.

Can I ask why you are filling a bucket?

#14 silverscreen

silverscreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

50% water change and full cap of stresscoat...couple of days after that a tablespoon full of api salt....been working for me...might not work for you.

#15 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

didn't use anything for about 3 years, but I bought a bottle of API water conditioner and started using it, haven't noticed any difference. I know guys who breed and keep exotic fish with no use of conditioners or nothing, different things work for different ppl.

#16 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:22 PM

depends where you live and what has been added to your local water ... it varies over the state  also some people age there water in a barrel for a week or so with airstones etc running

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users