Photo

Changing large volumes of water..

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 aconnoll

aconnoll
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

Im looking into getting a large tank (fresh water) within the next 6-12 months and have a couple of questions regarding water changes.

I currently have 2 x 2 foot and 1 x 1.5 foot fresh water tanks. I perform 25 percent weekly changes on these tanks. Water changes are fairly easy and routine - I fill a bucket(s), add the chlorine/chloramine conditioner, let it sit for 24 hours then change the water (I also add boiled kettle water to heat it to a reasonable degree closer to the tank) using a gravel vac/syphon.

My question is, on a larger tank ive heard some people just adding hose water to the tank and putting in the water conditioner directly to the tank - as opposed to say filling a 2 foot tank, adding the conditioner, leaving it for a period of time and then changing the water from the small tank to the larger tank. I guess id like to know how most people perform their large water changes and also is the above method safe?

BTW I am prob going to go with Mbuna in my proposed large tank (6x2x2 foot?). I havent kept cichlids as yet.

#2 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:59 AM

I use the hose method for all my water changes no matter what size the tank. I have never had a problem with this method yet. Infact the larger fish seem to love the hose and swim right into the cool water.

#3 aconnoll

aconnoll
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

Ah ok, what kind of fish do you keep? Do you think Malawi cichilds would be alright using this method?

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:10 AM

I have kept just about everything using this method. Malawis are generally a hardy fish, they will be fine. Just don't forget to ad your dechlorinator.

#5 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

i use warm water for the small tanks an stick to garden hose in the big tanks while every thing is runing

#6 teck

teck
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

i got a 8x2x2 and i just put a hose in fill er up and add 15 crystals of dechlorineater and works a treat i keep exotics and tank busters and no probs... but i do recommend u boil some water like u say as well coz but winter tap water hell cold and prob take half a day for 2x250w to heat it back up otherwise the fish tends to breathe heavily

#7 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

Because i live in a 2nd floor apartment, i bought a flexi-hose from bunnings that has rubber ends... I attach one end to the kitchen sink with a gasket ( sp? ) and bobs ya uncle.... insta warm water... and its pretty much the same for removing the water... str8 over the balcony :twisted:

To dechlorinate i use a special formula from aquotix (powder form) that they sell in tubs for around $20 and it is the best ive ever used and lasts forever! hehe...

#8 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

i have a 8x30x2, i use the hose method NO WATER TREATMENT. i have never lost a fish to date with up to 40% changes smile.gif

#9 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:58 PM

Hose for me to. just whach how much you change cause big changes kill off bacteria who are really sensitive to change as does chlorine/chloromine and other nasties in your water.

#10 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:24 PM

wow you let your water stand for up to 24hours 8O thats the amount of time it takes for the chlorine to dissipate with out using a dechlorinate. Yeh I use the hose method on my cichlids or occasionally buckets if its wet outside. Usually I dechlorinate the water but not always. Mainly I do it to because the solution I use also helps with the fishes mucus coating.

#11 KrAmEr

KrAmEr
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

Um why dont you guys dechlorinate?
You do know it can kill off your benificial bacteria and make your tank go into a mini cycle right?

#12 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

Same as KrAmEr

I dont understand why you dont dechlorinate :?

Regards Cobby

#13 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:35 PM

I think it depends Kramer on how much water you change. I don't usually do huge water changes until I clean my filter. Until than I do weekly to 2 weekly water changes varying from 10-25% (10 is when I've decided to do a vac clean in between my usual water changes)

But I agree with up to 40% water change you would at least want to let the water stand a day.

#14 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:27 PM

We do anywhere from 50 to 60% water changes weekly on all our 6fters, including our 6x2x2. We fill up straight from the hose, adding dechlorinator in as the water is going in. No warming up the water, it goes in cold and the fish love it! They swim through the water as it's going into the tank.

#15 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:34 PM

i agree i have no problems with using the hose and the dechlorinator gets mixed with all the power heads in my tanks

#16 Wacker

Wacker
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

I have always used the hose for bigger tanks. I have wondered sometimes whether it is worth adding dechlorinator to the tank as I fill it up (because I figure if the filters are running then the chlorine has already started flowing through the bacteria colony).
Like a few people have said, it depends how much water you change. Even in a standard 6 footer 25 - 30% no problem without dechlorinator... I also believe that it depends on when you last cleaned your filters.. strong bacteria colony = more resistant to the chlorine hit.

for smaller / fry tanks I always dechlorinate and use a bucket.

Oh, and the cold water tends to encourage spawning in malawis anyway.. I think some people who warm up their water scratch their heads wondering why their fish aren't breeding!

Wacker

#17 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

i use the bucket method for my tanks because they are mostly small
with the hose method what if you want to add salts? straight into the aquarium?

on the hose method as wacker brought up, would there be any point of using the conditioner as the chlorine would have already flowed thgrough the bacteria colony
could this be better avoided if you turned off your fuilteration while you where filling uop the tank?

#18 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:39 AM

the chlorine is more harmful to the fish than anything else, bacteria regenerate fish won't if they are dead, and with the salts yes i put them straight into the tank, the fish love them some even have a bite.
it can't be a problem if i can't stop them breeding.

#19 Wacker

Wacker
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:09 PM

I can't imagine there being enough chlorine in a 25% water change to kill fish, outright? I'd be MORE worried about the bacteria colony because the tank may start to cycle again (then the products WILL kill the fish)

Wacker

#20 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

I use the hose for most of my tanks except juvie tanks.

Craig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users