Photo

Port Jackson Sharks

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:07 PM

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone keeps these guys?

cheers, fish

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:36 PM

they are in the display tanks at Cicerello's in Fremantle, look cool but i think they are too big for fish tanks

#3 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (Jason82 @ Oct 4 2011, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they are in the display tanks at Cicerello's in Fremantle, look cool but i think they are too big for fish tanks

that would really depend how big your tank is.... port jackson would have to be one of the smallest sharks i've seen.... quite cute!!!

bad news when your fishing though... cause if its managed to get your bait theres nothing else in your vicinity to catch... may as well pack up and go home....

#4 kuhni

kuhni
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

Get quite big and like all sharks are suited to shallow pools in which they have a large bottom surface area. Epaulette Sharks are smaller but still get to a little bigger than a metre.

#5 Lachy

Lachy
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hey mate i have got a friend who's boy friend is a fisherman, i forget exactly what he does but anyway they brought a small one up in a net and got it back home.
I haven't seen it but she has had it for a while now and says it does fine in the aquarium but is no where near full size.
It would be possible to keep them happy but it would be a setup that wouldn't really be suited for a house, possibly a massive circular tank or something like the stingray pool at AQWA if you have seen it.

#6 cozza2000

cozza2000
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

I've caught heaps if port Jackson sharks, they grow large up to 6' long!

#7 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

Ive researched and they grow up to about 5' in the wild, have seen them for sale and was thinking of getting a big triangular tank for one

cheers

#8 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

The other thing you need to consider with these guys is they don't handle heat well. In summer you are going to have to keep your house quite cool, or invest in a chiller.

They are a massive pest off some WA beaches, the Cottesloe area is a breeding ground for them. If you snorkle near the reef there you will see hundreds sitting under ledges waiting for the sun to go down. I think they may also be protected in many areas.

Would make a pretty cool pet, but you will need a massive aquarium or pond for an animal that can potentially reach 150cm in length.

Alex

#9 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:35 PM

how big do you think the tank should be?

#10 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

It is all subjective to what peoples opinions are. Simply bigger is better.. If the max size is 5' then expect it to get to atleast 3'. So i'd say a tank around the 8x3 + mark. Get away with something smaller while it grows but if history is anything to go by most peeps don't end up upgrading.

#11 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

I've got a 7x2x2 and was thinking of starting it off in it and then upgrading to maybe a pond or an 8x3x3 maybe a little larger?

#12 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

I'm not the best person to help you with this. As I have never kept PJ's before, only have experience with FW tankbusters and Salwater Morays and kept a pair of bamboo sharks for about 12months, although the concept is much the same. Best bit of advice I can give you is do your research read, and then read some more. Ask on the MASWA forums.

Your plans sounds good. Read into their needs for cool water. I'm not sure if a chiller is 100% required.

Maybe even look into some bamboo sharks. I had a pair of them and they were some of the coolest aquarium inhabitants I have ever owned.

#13 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

ok cool, cheers for the help smile.gif appreciate it

#14 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:45 PM

Hey mate,

I've just invested in my first shark so it will be a great learning experience for both of us smile.gif I'm going to upgrade and go with a few more so I'll let you know how things go ey smile.gif

Cheers
Riggas

#15 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:09 AM

Yeah I saw the little guy, looks awesome smile.gif

I've gotta save a bit to get mine coz It's not gonna be cheap to set up a tank for one haha

#16 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

Yeah sweet man smile.gif mine is nice and settled now, had a big feed of occy this morning and seems happy as, last night he was all over the tank checking it all out smile.gif during the day he's just chilling smile.gif

#17 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:36 PM

He's awesome! Can't wait to get one smile.gif how big is he/she?

#18 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

not sure bout the sex but he's just over 25cm smile.gif he ate heaps this morning, greedy little sharky!!

#19 fish

fish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

awesome, very good price for his size smile.gif thought they were quite expensive

#20 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

reasonable price I must say smile.gif I'm all ready on the hunt for another smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users