Photo

Archers/Brackish water questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kenshin

Kenshin
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:45 PM

hi there i currently have 4 archers that i used to keep in lightly salted water i decreased the salt in order to move them to there new tank which was a mature fresh water tank which is where they currently reside

my question is in the last 2 months the archers are hardly ever there nice silver colour they are almost always a blackish colour now when they were in the salt water they were always theyre charicteristic silver colour with black bands unless unhappy or upset. so does this mean i should start increasing the salt level again gradually until i geto 1.005 salt level?

another brackish water question i have that ill need answers for if im to increase there salt levels again are as follows.

1. does anyone know where i can get a hydrometer that reads the low salt levels needed for brackish water the ones iv found in fish shops all start at 1.010 which is to high?
2. what plants do you guys know of that will survive in light salinity water?
3. are there any fish or snails availible that will graze on alge in brackish water?

cheers for your time guys

#2 Kenshin

Kenshin
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:27 PM

i also forgot to mention that the archers are fed well on a varied diet and have grown heaps fast they get fed formulated sinking cichlid pellets, crickets, the odd bag of glass shrimp, the odd bag of gambusi, occasionally i give them pinky mice

the mice and crix are easy cuzz i already stock heaps of each for my reptiles they go nutz for the pinkys

#3 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:56 AM

Archers start off in fresh water then migrate to the ocean for spwning. Their adult life is in brackish water where they will thrive - you need to add salt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users