• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kristle

kristle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:21 AM

(Peckoltia)
Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri

these are one of the coolest looking fish ive seen.

how much are they, are they fresh water and how hard are they to keep
8O
i just watched a you tube wich had one in with cichlids

#2 kristle

kristle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:21 AM

#3 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

they will eat the cichlids lols they are easy to keep and one of the best types of fish you can keep i dont have a tiger as i cant get one big enought to last in my tank but i have an ornate with is much nicer looking imo and still hit around the 2 feet long i also have a saddler with is very nice thye love eating fish but will eat almost any thing

#4 kristle

kristle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:02 PM

i just watched a heap of you tubes on them. most were of them eating fish
i think ill stick to cichlids for now
im about to move house and when i do im getting a 6foot X 1.5 foot tank
would be a shame to have only endlicheri in there even though they are extremely cool looking

#5 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:06 PM

you just have to put other cool fish in there that will not fit in there mouths or the problem im facing soon is they fit into my other fishes mouths :?

#6 kristle

kristle
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:35 PM

wich fish do you have in with them ?

#7 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:01 PM

rtc, tsn, rtc x, large bgk, large sailfin gibbie, a spotted gar

ill have to seperate them soon as the tsn and rtc is growing way faster then any thing else the rtc,s are growing faster then a 1cm a week and the tsn dont grow for a while then one day you wake up and have a look and its like omg.

if you want to know what a rtc or tsn is just have a look in utube very awsome cats imo the rtc x is blastic they will eat tripple they boddy wait a night if you let them they just dont stop

very nice fish they are all fish ive wanted from way back but thay arnt cheap except for the sailfin gibbie and the bgk

#8 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:47 PM

(benckie)
they will eat the cichlids lols they are easy to keep and one of the best types of fish you can keep i dont have a tiger as i cant get one big enought to last in my tank but i have an ornate with is much nicer looking imo and still hit around the 2 feet long i also have a saddler with is very nice thye love eating fish but will eat almost any thing

I have to disagree. Ornates have a good colour scheme when young. But they tend to wash out alot as they grow. Tigers have a certain presence about them that only gets better with age. The protruding bottom jaw is also unique!

Here is mine, grown alot since the pics were taken-

#9 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

well i would disagree as yes the ornates do have a smugged look when they get bigger but imo still look more nicer imo its funny in away the tigers are bland imo when young but as you same gcome along nicly when they get older as the ornates are nice strate up and to me stay the same ive see ones around 2 foot pluss and they look just as pritty as mine, the ornates have a bottom jaw the tiger are an upper jaw if i rember corectly ? they do look a little meaner i quess but afer seeing alot of tigers and a few ornates and looking at mine a couple hounderd times i day i think ornates are nicer by far. tigers look to much like sadders (now that will stire up the tiger lovers)

heres a crap pick ill take some more of the markings and colour on the head and tail or when it gets im a funny mood and darken right yp

sorry for the poor pic

ps bare with me ill have a decent camera soon other then my cap digital the film camera,s

#10 MONSTAF1SH

MONSTAF1SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:32 PM

I diagree as you already know Benck since weve debated this before,
Heres some pics to compare when they get big.

errr! pics by Loubard

NICE!pics by Loubard

NICE!

errrr! laugh.gif
This is what alex is talking about by the colours washing out when they get big anyways i suppose it just comes down to personal taste. 8)

#11 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:37 PM

yeah thats not a very good expample of an ornate it looks realy munted like some of the others in the thread you got the pic,s from, i think you picked out the worst ornate then put the best pic of a tiger. as i have seen some realy nice 60 cm ornates in real life face to face and they are much nicer then that reject in that photo, any way im going to say ornates are the best cause i have one you guys are going to say tigers are the best cause you guys have them so realy its a never ending story. any how i might change my mind if i could get my hands on a nice large tiger but we can only get small tigers but i know whats theres some nice large ornates as soon as wifey drops her buddle ill shoot up and get some if they arnt gone

sorry arron i had this replie sitting there for ages befor i posted it

#12 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:31 AM

i'll let my pics do the talking... laugh.gif sorry benckster... im jumping on the lower jaw and more specifically the endlicheri band wagon... although ornates are nice, id only rate them around 4th/5th... endli...hmmm... top 2! :twisted:

One things for sure... If the specimen is a "Tiger" you can be sure it is an aswome creature!
siamese tiger datnoid, tiger shovel nose, african tiger fish... endlicheri "tiger" bichir! :twisted:

Heres a few of my examples, just incase u missed them earlier kristle :wink:

#13 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:23 AM

^Tiger barb :?:

Endlicheri looks nicer to me, its not all about the colours, it has a better shape IMO, have kept ornates, but not the tiger.

#14 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:26 PM

nice pic,s ernsta they are very nice tigers you got its good we all have difrent taste or we would all keep the same stufff how dull that would be. i would rate tigers in the top 3 and you cant beat them smashing back a gold fish

#15 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:30 PM

for those who havnt seen a bichir here is a delhezi hes pritty cool one of my top fish in my tank apart from the ornate :wink:

#16 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:43 PM

Yeh den even tiger barbs, prolly top of the list as far as barbs go... ( for feeders that is ) laugh.gif

and yes i agree the structure of the lower jaw species( flatter sharp head ) looks better, much more prehistoric and aggressive in comparison to that of the upper jaws ( rounder head )...

but you are right benckster, it would be boring if we all thought alike..."each to their own" :wink:

#17 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:16 PM

like i realy like the pamas pamas i think they have nice colouring and head shape but they are the lest popluar and one of the cheapest bichir around (when they are around that is) but no one likes them, but as any one who likes bichir i think the ultimate bichir is from the congo group wouldnt you agree the meanest largest but rarest

#18 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:21 PM

hmmmm yeh, who am i kidding...i love them all! long live the polypterus! laugh.gif

i wouldnt say that the palmas would be the cheapest though... that award would go to the senegal... followed by the albino senegal imo... :wink:

i really like my longfin varieties aswell... anyone else here in perth own longfin bichirs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users