Tropheus

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 bam86wrx02

bam86wrx02
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hi all

Just wanting to know who our tropheus breeders an collectors are?
How many you have in a colony and what types you have, Ive just made the leap into the tropheus keepers list and wanting to know who is along with me an what we are looking at...
I have always loves this species of fish an finally made the move, stopping me before was the cost an i wasn't ready to hold one type of fish in my tank.
Just did the big move of all of them last night as you guys might have noticed Ive sold the rest of my fish over the last few weeks, i will be uploading pics soon to match Ive gotten a rather large colony of lufubu's(might even be the largest collection in Perth Ive been told)

thanks
Bam

Edited by bam86wrx02, 18 March 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#2 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

I have a few species red ndols,Illangi,fire cracker,not to many just tanks mates for the fronties

#3 mandm

mandm
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

We have colony of bemba breeding (have fry available). Breeding colony of Ikola (with first lot of fry last week), young colony of ilangi, moliro and duboisi. Also love the tropheus.

#4 bam86wrx02

bam86wrx02
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (Fish-lips @ Mar 18 2012, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a few species red ndols,Illangi,fire cracker,not to many just tanks mates for the fronties

Still need to come look at those fronties bro, how is that male going by the way. Can't thank you enough for the contact, I know he was hoping I wasn't a man of my word so he could keep the lufubu's but no luck there.... Great bloke

QUOTE (autolink @ Mar 18 2012, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have colony of bemba breeding (have fry available). Breeding colony of Ikola (with first lot of fry last week), young colony of ilangi, moliro and duboisi. Also love the tropheus.

Very nice auto, sounds like you have had the tropheus bug for a while now. I am also looking into the breeding area of the lufubu's as they will all be F2's and the parents have great colour, I did see them weeks before I picked them up and after being in my tank less than 24 hours an after a long transport there looking pretty damn good. There proven breeders so shouldn't be long, just have to let them set up the pecking order an who's area is who's?

Any hints, tips, problems you have had an fixed will be listened to as I'm all about the troph now lol

(Also any literature you would recommend would be great as before I've been Malawi and American but a species specific book would be great)

Bam

#5 bluemino55

bluemino55
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

I have two colony's of tropheus in a 6 by 2 by 2 tank. About 20 dubosi's breeding with 12 fry and about thirty illangi still about 7cm long. Do the illangi males

have egg spots like other male fish ??? What colours to the females go ??

#6 bam86wrx02

bam86wrx02
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (bluemino55 @ Mar 19 2012, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have two colony's of tropheus in a 6 by 2 by 2 tank. About 20 dubosi's breeding with 12 fry and about thirty illangi still about 7cm long. Do the illangi males

have egg spots like other male fish ??? What colours to the females go ??

Not to sure on illangi's but I only know of one type that gets faint egg spots I could be wrong tho(will be corrected if I am). An the females tend to have the same colour pattern as the males just not as bright. But again I have females with great colour...

Edited by bam86wrx02, 20 March 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#7 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

would like to see some pics of the lufubu colony mate, and good to see more fish keepers down mandurah way too!

Haven't kept t's for years now but have a plan to get a colony of mpwimbwe red cheeks soon once i sort myself out. Interested to see if anyone is keeping this variant locally?

#8 bam86wrx02

bam86wrx02
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (Poncho @ Mar 21 2012, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
would like to see some pics of the lufubu colony mate, and good to see more fish keepers down mandurah way

Hi there Poncho

Yeah not to many of us down this way. An I work in bayswater I'm that bad I have a live feed webcam so the two nights a week I'm not there I can see them from the iPhone xP.... Missus said I've taken it way to far, if I don't have pics up tonight I will have on the weekend or Friday afternoon. Give them a little bit an they will be breeding for sure just need to settle in still under a week in there new home.

#9 MadDocker

MadDocker
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

I have 9 young tropheus moorii golden kazumba in the tank at the moment going well so far. 2 in particular are going extremely fast and starting to colour up. Few of the smaller ones have some red tips on the dorsal fins.

Great fish, should look good all grown up but enjoying them at the moment.

#10 hajo

hajo
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

i got 23 wc red rainbows, 30 f1 red rainbows (bought some local, some from over east) and 10 illangi, none are breeding at the moment and the wc's are currently 2 colonies but if all goes well they will all move into a new tank together this weekend

#11 bam86wrx02

bam86wrx02
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (MadDocker @ Mar 21 2012, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 9 young tropheus moorii golden kazumba in the tank at the moment going well so far. 2 in particular are going extremely fast and starting to colour up. Few of the smaller ones have some red tips on the dorsal fins.

Great fish, should look good all grown up but enjoying them at the moment.

So your fairly new to tropheus then? I've always loved tropheus but like I said didn't want to dedicate such a large space to one type of fish, but the time was right, I had all the stuff (an money) to get a large colony of tropheus that I haven't seen many of in Perth. Any info you had to help you or what pushed you this way? I know I had read there harder to keep but they seem fine to me!! Picker on the water type but extremely happy fish when they have it

QUOTE (hajo @ Mar 21 2012, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i got 23 wc red rainbows, 30 f1 red rainbows (bought some local, some from over east) and 10 illangi, none are breeding at the moment and the wc's are currently 2 colonies but if all goes well they will all move into a new tank together this weekend

Nice one mate thought about WC's but a colony of WC of this size shipped in would have cost a fair bit, have you had F1's? An are they pickier of there parameters than F1's. Do you have pic's up? Would love to see

#12 bam86wrx02

bam86wrx02
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Now I tried to get pics but my cam on the iPhone was not getting nice enough shots. An I've temp lost my card for the digi cam..... So next best thing till I sort that out is a video off the iPhone best I could do for now, sure doesn't justify how they look but I'll show you all better over the weekend..... So this is the 41 F1 colony of my tropheus lufubu's

http://i1071.photobu...withfish102.mp4

Let me know if you have problems viewing

Hope you guys like

Thanks so far

Bam

#13 scottyhooton

scottyhooton
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Funny how iPhone pics and vids don't do justice ..... If ya know what I mean

#14 bam86wrx02

bam86wrx02
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

I think they still look great. For a iPhone video LOLZ, but seriously I'll find or buy a new memory card for the digi an start a post in the picture section. But you get the picture

#15 Ham

Ham
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

cool.gif Nice Ts bam well done
Graham

#16 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (scottyhooton @ Mar 21 2012, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny how iPhone pics and vids don't do justice ..... If ya know what I mean

Pffft excuses excuses!!! biggrin.gif

I'm keeping a few ilangi in with me fronts, tropheus are siiiiick!! Awesome fish to watch

#17 bam86wrx02

bam86wrx02
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (Ham @ Mar 21 2012, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cool.gif Nice Ts bam well done
Graham

Thanks Ham smile.gif

QUOTE (Riggertron @ Mar 21 2012, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pffft excuses excuses!!! biggrin.gif

I'm keeping a few ilangi in with me fronts, tropheus are siiiiick!! Awesome fish to watch

Yeah much more active than any of my last fish I've had over the last 7years, an ill take that as a challenge rigger!!! You just wait not only will I have some lovely pics with the digi but these beauties will be holding soon enough xP

Bahahahahhaha(evil laugh)

Bam

#18 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

Nice one Bam step it up!! smile.gif

#19 bam86wrx02

bam86wrx02
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

I have a ladder tongue.gif

#20 hajo

hajo
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

hey mate, havent got any pics up but may try once they all settle in their new tank, suffered losses with the wc & f1's, but i worry alot less about the f1's, they seem more stable as a group, claiming smaller territory and so far lack a hyperdominant male that both the wild groups have, they all do alright with 1/4 tank weekly water changes, temperature changes, they only get fed every 2nd day, the rest of the time they graze on algae.
to be honest i have no idea what my water parameters are, never tested, seachem tang buffer & prime to the recomended dosage, she'll be right

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users