Sushi
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:59 AM

Here are the old photos when i put the first bits of live rock in

#23 Sushi

Sushi
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:01 AM

Since then i have added in about 10 more kilo of rock, and changed it around.

Attached Files

#24 Sushi

Sushi
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:03 AM

The photos of what it now looks like, with the BTA and the 2 clowns should be up soon. Thanks again to Boof86 who sized down my pictures. This is a snap shot of the purple stuff i was talking about way back before, i'm pretty sure its corraline, but please correct me if im wrong, lol as i dont want to leave crap in my tank that isnt supposed to be in there

#25 aqua86

aqua86
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2008 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (Sushi @ Aug 25 2008, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The photos of what it now looks like, with the BTA and the 2 clowns should be up soon. Thanks again to Boof86 who sized down my pictures. This is a snap shot of the purple stuff i was talking about way back before, i'm pretty sure its corraline, but please correct me if im wrong, lol as i dont want to leave crap in my tank that isnt supposed to be in there

looking good mate, keep up the good work
Ian

#26 Sushi

Sushi
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:52 PM

Thanks Ian, new photo's will be up soon!
My BTA is growing so fast hey, i've been feeding bloodworms everyday (whats the best food for them?) and he's grown like a fifth bigger then what he was less then a week ago

#27 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

try to avoid blood worms with your marine, they introduce large amounts of phosphate

#28 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 26 August 2008 - 11:28 PM

Gday Sushi

U'll find that the BTA isn't growing from the food but is taking in more water and therefore swelling up more. A lot of soft coral also do the same.

U can feed small pieces of prawn and whitebait if u like. Weekly/fortnightly should be plenty.

Dazza smile.gif

#29 Sushi

Sushi
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:01 AM

Here is my tank nowadays new and improved.

Attached Files

#30 Sushi

Sushi
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

I took these photos yesterday after i gave the skimmer a clean out, you can see one of the crabs in the center bit of rock up the top. I have more photos but it wont let me put them up for some stupid reason. But you can see how much better it looks now, and the anenome and clowns. As soon as my phosphate gets a bit lower I can start adding in the corals. It was suggested to me to use reducers or something like that to get phosphate and nitrate levels down? are these any good? are there any way to get these levels down???

Attached Files

#31 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:17 PM

phosphate sponges, Rowaphos, there is a few but be careful when you do it, you don't want to rip the phosphate out and shock your tank with rapid change.

#32 Sushi

Sushi
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (Neakit @ Aug 28 2008, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
phosphate sponges, Rowaphos, there is a few but be careful when you do it, you don't want to rip the phosphate out and shock your tank with rapid change.

Thats a good bit of advice thanks Simon. Today i put in my first corals, just a small organ, and a very nice anchor coral. and im in the process of a water change. and hopefully the corals will be out and displaying themselves soon.
pics should be up soon

#33 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:56 PM

Get a hold of some corrillamorphs great hardy little things , if you kill them they do come back trust me, i had one i injected with hydrochloric acid cause it was in the wrong spot, it died and went away but 6months later the exact same one was back in the same spot. Resilient little things and they can be quite beautiful.

#34 Sushi

Sushi
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

HCl? damn, weren't you worried about the effects that could have had on the rest of your tank? yeah i was looking at getting some of them but i want some nice "display/showroom" ones first. Next thing i want is a hammer coral, anyone know where to get one/want to sell theirs lol. or something that looks somewhat like a hammer coral, cause i google'd it and there were heaps of different sorts under that name or said "similer to the hammer coral" and looked like it.

#35 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

if you look into the makeup of sea water i think you will find hydrogen is abundant in it and there is some chlorine in there too. So there was no over all effect on the tank just in the small localised area of that morph

#36 Sushi

Sushi
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

Hey guys, the tank is going swimmingly, *shakes head* i'm having a problem with the algae, as im sure everyone has, i had it perfect for like a week, but it just keeps growing, and i see all these glamouros tanks crystal clear, and while my water is clear i keep getting these different sorts of friggin algae everywhere. any hints tips or suggestions, if its a process i have to wait out or what i can do to get rid of it??? cheers

#37 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

wait it out they do go away eventually but keep manually removing it

#38 Sushi

Sushi
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:44 AM

ok cheers Simon, could direct sunlight be an issue? i might keep the curtain shut over it from now on... also would anyone not recommend getting a small niger triggerfish for a reef tank setup? A learned marine fish keeper said they slay corals? i want one but if thats the case i'm happy to go without. Also he said the same for emporer angels, and i really wanted one of them
cheers

#39 kuhni

kuhni
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:46 AM

angels and triggers are known coral eaters, like all fish though there IS a tiny chance your individual may differ. However having said that, fish often just decide to start eating corals after 8-10 months and continue to do so till they are removed.

#40 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

direct sunlight can be an issue but i don't think im the best person to be talking to about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users