Photo

Ack's First Marine Tank

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Acko

Acko
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:13 PM

Neakit ... I have put the brakes on like you said ... resisted the urge to visit a shop now for two 'whole weeks!!

One thing I wanted to ask is whether corals add to the bio load?

Since starting with the Kalkwasser on day 43 (it's now day 52) my parameters are:

PH: 8.4
Alk: 10dkh
Calcium: 440
NO3: 0

All fish and corals looking good so far (touches wood)

Neakit ... Magnesium ... right ... that's the only thing I haven't tested for so far ... don't yet have a kit. Might send the wife in to get me one so I don't get tempted by visiting a shop myself ... not sure I am strong enough to resist just yet biggrin.gif

#22 Acko

Acko
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

Scarab ... my phosphate has always read 0.5mg/l since day one ... is this okay or do I need to have zero?

Won't feed the corals for a while now even if they beg me !!

No crabs (other than the hermits) seen since day 39 (it's now day 52) so all good there I think.

Will definately get myself a magnesium testing kit this weekend ... I've read anwhere between 1250 and 1350mg/l is what I should be aiming for ... ?

One think about kalk, should I be dosing continuously overnight or does that purely depend on PH, alkalinity and calcium levels ?

Thanks for your rely.

Woo hoo ... it's day 52 and I've noticed my first coraline algae growing on my powerheads ... I'm thinking this is a good thing and deserves a little dance and celebration ... maybe biggrin.gif

#23 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:59 PM

congrats mate, that first bit of coralline is a milestone wink.gif

#24 scarab

scarab
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:26 PM

From my experience, algae like hair algae and diatoms will grow on the rocks, sucking up the phosphate directly from it as it leaches. So what i would do is to have phosphate remover to remove whatever phosphates so as to reduce the problem. However, I must say that if the rocks are aged nicely and did not epxerience much die off, there may not be much phosphates in it. From your pics i saw diatoms forming on the rocks. so just do keep a look out and make sure it doesnt bloom. If it stays the way it is then you should be alright.

Yes, your mag should be kept around those levels

Dose kalk only depending on your pH, alk and calcium levels. Theres no need to dose overnight, dosing too much will raise your pH and/or the excess might just precipitate out and choke your pumps.

Congrats on your coralline algae!! Shows that things are going well!!
Do note that coralline will take up calcium so do check back on your calcium when the coralline starts to take off. Else just sit back and enjoy the tank!!

#25 Acko

Acko
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Coraline algae = good biggrin.gif
Nemo found dead on floor this morning = bad angry.gif

There's always something !!

Why he didn't want to stay in the tank is anyone's guess ... and as he found out, it isn't always greener on the other side ... not when you're a fish anyway !

Maybe I should invest in some glass covers ...

Again, cheers for taking the time to reply guys

#26 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

glass covers are bad, they stop light penetrating and also slow evaporation so the tank heats up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users