Photo

Bloodworm

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

Please fill out as much as possible below and give us a description of what is wrong with your fish.

Type of fish:frontosa
Symptoms:dead
Other tank mates:pleco
Tank size / capacity:450l
Type of Food fed:nls/bloodworm
Feeding frequency/amount:2x day
Substrate:play sand
Type of filtration:eheime 2217
Frequency of filter cleans:1x 7-10 weeks
Frequency and % volume of water changes:40% week
Last water change:2 days ago
PH:8
KH:
GH:
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:7
Ammonia:0
Phosphate:
Water temp:24-27
Medications used recently to date:prime on water change
Any recent changes..new fish/filters/power outages etc etc:new food:bloodworm

hi. i have had a thew fish die in the past 2 weeks! i have had 2 frontosa at 4cm and 1 pleco and 4 brichardi and 1 bn
i was feeding my fish nls and when i went to my lfs to get more food he said to get some bloodworm for your fish so i got some... i was told by a thew friends to not feed them that so i stoped... but my fish are dead i stoped feeding 2 weeks ago and my last death was today... why dose bloodworm kill fish????

Edited by fishking123, 29 June 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#2 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

thats crazy ! we have almost the same setup. in my 300 litre tank with a eheim 2217 i have 5 frontosa fry, 7 brichardi fry and 2 albino bristlenose and sold my plecos about a month ago. i dont care what people have to say about this but i feed them bloodworms everyday since i had gotten this new tank (4 months ago) and nls and everything is fine i havnt had 1 death. strange how you lost so many fish the same as me with a very similar set up unsure.gif

#3 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

yeah sad.gif i was very sad! i lost lots of fish

#4 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

The blood worm is no good for fronties

#5 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

is it really ? everytime i look on various forums its always a 50-50 response either people saying they always feed their fronties bloodworms to keep up with high protein diet or people say they never do at all :S

#6 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

That's a good call mate,
I lost a few fronties at the start,since Iv stopped feeding them blood worms not a problem now,
Brine shrimp. Is the best I find,
My guys get fed sera flora,nls,fresh raw prawns and human grade white bait

#7 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

i think i will go by what you do with your fronties in the future when i get some fry off you, you seem to have the best fronties around so whatever your doing must work a treat haha

#8 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

I treat bloodworm for fish like chocolate for humans, good as a treat but not good as a regular thing.
I've been feeding my fish one or two small blocks of bloodworm once a week. no probs as far as i know, but maybe i should stop after reading this?

#9 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

dont buy crap quality bloodworms..... steer well clear of the cheap and nasty stuff....

bloodworms have a hook on them - so smaller fish can sometimes choke on this if it gets caught in their throat... solution - dice it up before feeding....

i suspect more of a water quality issue is the cause of your problems.... i bet you didnt even test the water and thought you'd just quote a few numbers to assure yourself that you werent the cause of the deaths... and it is something more sinister.... over 90% of all fish related problems/deaths is caused by ammonia.... smile.gif i'd even say very close to 100% water quality issue is the root of your problems....

#10 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

They definately don't.

I've been throwing 3 cubes in a 120L grow out every day and one in my sump for some P Bass fry. Weekly water changes. No deaths. Doing something else wrong I think...

#11 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

When fish are effected by the excessive consumption of bloodworm, it only really tends to be tangs and Malawi. Bloodworm is quite rich.
I keep Burundi, and have bred and sold well over 1000 individuals. At the beginning I did lose some numbers due to over feeding, but treating them like all other fry. Just a slight reduction in food consumption sorted it out. So, the bloodworm being quite rich must be kept at a absolute minimum. I see it a little like plants, a fast growing variety of plant can take a lot of fertilizer. But a slow growing variety will die with to much fertilizer, and smaller amounts must be given. Frontosa are slow growing and take almost three years to breeding maturity. Most other tang, Malawi take 5-12months !. After all this I to think its a water quality thing, keep food to a lower frequency to reduce water fouling.

#12 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (bigjohnnofish @ Jun 29 2012, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dont buy crap quality bloodworms..... steer well clear of the cheap and nasty stuff....

bloodworms have a hook on them - so smaller fish can sometimes choke on this if it gets caught in their throat... solution - dice it up before feeding....

i suspect more of a water quality issue is the cause of your problems.... i bet you didnt even test the water and thought you'd just quote a few numbers to assure yourself that you werent the cause of the deaths... and it is something more sinister.... over 90% of all fish related problems/deaths is caused by ammonia.... smile.gif i'd even say very close to 100% water quality issue is the root of your problems....

ohmy.gif jeez if you dont trust me i will take a pic of the test!

#13 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

see

Attached Files

#14 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:04 AM

Your not shaking your nitrate solution properly mate, your not getting a reading. You need to really shake the bottle a lot before adding it.

#15 Jeff

Jeff
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

I know if fish are acclimatised to different pH levels then pH isn't usually an issue. Having said this your pH looks to be up at 8.6-8.8. Appears quite high to me?? Could this be a reason?

I also only feed bloodworms sparingly. Once a week and no problems. Even to my JD fry.

#16 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

Don't start spinning out at all the things that could be wrong. Start again, buy more. One feed a day, no bloodworms, NLS only, NLS has all your fish diet requirements, make sure their bellies are not round after feeding. Bellies should be flat or very slightly bulging. Together with water changes there is no reason for any problems. You could even throw away your test kits if you do the right things.

#17 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (Bowdy @ Jun 30 2012, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your not shaking your nitrate solution properly mate, your not getting a reading. You need to really shake the bottle a lot before adding it.

i am.... it is low all the time is that good or bad? i shake it realy good but it dose not change it

maby its the flash? i turn it off

Edited by fishking123, 30 June 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#18 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

Most African species are more plant/fish eaters, eating high protein foods once in a blue moon.
Their intestinal tracks are just not built for it.

Bloodworms should only ever be fed as rare treat!!!
Yea some of you will get away with feeding them all the one now, but wait until the fish ages and see what changes. Bloodworms, beefheart etc have been linked to HTH and many other problems.
Why feed it if you have a quality dry food?

A test for you that like to feed your fish high protein diets, start cooking yourself every night for one month:
Steak, eggs, bacon & black pudding.

See how much weight you gain & how crook you feel.
You will become unhealthy REAL quick.

Brine shrimp are good but don't have much nutritional value.

IMO pH for Frontosa should be around 9.0 & GH around 300ppm
Temp 24c
Nice deep tank with plenty of open swimming space.

IMO the best thing for young Fronts is small regular feelings throughout the day (auto feeder)
Hope that helps. All info is from my own experiences.

From memory, the nitrate bottle should be shaken for 30secs and then once added to the vial, the vial should be shaken for 1min.
Wait for a couple mins for proper reading

#19 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

i did give them bloodworm so it is like 'real' food... but i feed them nls 2x day..

#20 Guest_Fish-lips_*

Guest_Fish-lips_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

My ph gets tested every 6 months and every time it sits at 7/7.5
I'm breeding all the Zaire's colonies these fish are better kept on our local ph with no buffers,because when someone buys these fish and dont have much experience with these fish they have more chance of survival in their new home tap water is the best and API water conditioner
And if you want to get all fancy with the buffers good for you,frontosa are a very hardy fish
I feed sera flora 2/3 days a week the other nls 2/3 days the other days fresh prawn,human grade white bait,peas,brine shrimps

Fry get sera flora for the first 6 weeks daily only,
From there on I feed daily a mix of sera,nls only

Edited by Fish-lips, 30 June 2012 - 04:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users