Photo

An old friend - tsn

• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#41 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:41 PM

Nah they usually just flop... not much walking...

#42 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:43 PM

i meant you clarias, i here that when there lakes dry up the get out and walk to other waterholes upto 12hrs away

#43 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:45 PM

Sorry misunderstood. No never got out of the tank, always have my lids bricked down.

#44 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

There very nice silvers, i really like the red they get in them, not quite as red as this guy though
blood red

#45 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:56 PM

My favorite fish of all
R.I.P puff
not so much of a tank buster as a rock buster

#46 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:03 PM

Nice dog faced puffer.

I was actually going to get one last week. Great fish.

#47 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:30 PM

Have been doing a bit of reading on the lungys growth rate, and have come across alot of contradictory information.

Have you kept any for an extended period of time?

Alex

#48 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:05 PM

People who have posted the pics of the Monsters, Do you mind if I post them on my forum?

I want to show my members what is available around the world.

Cheers
Aquatic Dreams™

#49 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

As long as you reference them to me. Alex Kantor.

#50 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

Can & will,

Thanks..

Cheers
Aquatic Dreams™

#51 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:58 PM

Yeah same for me az, just tell em to contact newtown who can contact me if theres any interest
cheers mate
thanks for the plug on the rays to, again im happy to sell to newtown first who can on sell to people overthere win win in my books

#52 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:32 AM

Thanks Steve,

No probs on the plug..

Cheers
Aaron

#53 nomis

nomis
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:09 PM

nice fish

#54 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:19 PM

Nice pics guys. I remember that TSN Alex and was quite an impressive thick fish. Agree that the tank was merely a growout for such a large fish though!

Nomis, how many silvers have you got in that 8 footer? I'm thinking of a 10x3x3 in the new house I'm building and would appreciate some input from people who have kept a few silver aros together in the past...

#55 nomis

nomis
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:41 PM

silvers can be a bit nipy at times but ok i hav kept 6 30cm silvers together before with no probs and they looked cool not sure how they will go wen they get bigger. keeping them in a 10/3/3 you should hav no probs i have my 2 in my pond atm with 4 red belly pacus and my bass and it looks alot more natural and they seem to like it but the gold fish dont laugh.gif how many silvers are u thinking of geting

#56 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:28 PM

Lets see some pics people.

Vincent- Your best bet would be to buy a group all as youngesters and growing them up together. Having said that I have had success with just the two in a tank with absolutely no agro shown at all. I think a big mixed bag of aros would be great, and something that I have been seriously considering. A couple leichardti a couple silvers and an Asian or two. Would look magic IMO. But a group of silvers is always a magestic site. Also from my experiences with tankbusters you will regret making such a large tank only 3' wide. With my 8x3 I have always regreted not going 8x4, I just tend to find the 3' width just not enough. I would also be careful with making your tank 3' tall. Both my 8'ers are 2.5' tall and I have enough difficulty getting to the bottom as it is, at times having my face in the water, which can be a bit daunting when you have 2-3' fish cruising around!!! wink.gif I think a 8x5x2.5 would be an absolutely mint sized tank, although their is nothing wrong with a 10x3x3! wink.gif

Nomis - Ripsaw cat, very good taste you have there. Would love one myself, but for the price i'd rather go a M tigrinus.

After a bit of a break from FW and tankbusters in particular, I have to say that I am quite excited at starting my collection from scratch. Exciting times ahead.

Alex

#57 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

Good points Alex I think 2.5 is probably a better bet, saves on glass costs too.

4 foot width would be nice, I'll have to see if it is practicable or not. Haven't seen many tanks around that width. I imagine extra thick bottom glass would be needed.

I figure 4-6 silvers would be nice. Leichardti would also be great but I'm wary of the aggressive reputation of the Saratogas... If I can get away with 3 or 4 silvers grown up from scratch that would be good - I know how big they get and don't want to overcrowd. I tried that with 2 little ones but that did not work out well. One was far too nippy.

Asians would be good too, and they are getting so much cheaper for the reds and stuff with certs. I am still a bit sceptical on the real quality of the fish for that price though, seems pretty cheap to me considering how much they cost in Singapore and such. I figure there is a real risk of buying a red and getting something else... after all, certs can be forged...

Eventually the 10 footer should be host to a pair of rays as well. I will probably make up an auto water changing system with the sump, to minimise maintenance - just don't have the time to do too much at the moment... Planning this tank will be the key I think, but I'll keep you guys updated in case there are flaws in the plan.

Cheers
Vincent

p.s. yes more pics would be great please wink.gif

#58 nomis

nomis
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

i would have gone for a one but none available atm but wen they come back on the scene i will get 1. i agree with peckoltia on the tank size dont worry about the hight just go as wide and long as you can i will get some pics up tomorow night if i get a chance 8)

#59 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:11 PM

I think Sooty has some Tigrinus for sale at the moment for $2000. Roughly the same price as a ripsaw.

Yep some rays would be great.

#60 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:35 AM

I have put pics on my forum, I have also put your names on them and the posts, Thankyou for letting me do that. Cheers

Steve you may get some interest from it.

Cheers
Aaron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users