Allergy To Bloodworms

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

Tonight I decided to feed my fish some frozen bloodworm. Yes I realise that frozen bloodworm is mostly water, but I don't have any love food cultures on the go at the moment. I put some of the bloodworm in a cup of tank water to melt it, then I pick the worms out with tweezers and drop it in to my tank. Just smelling the bloodworm made my nose itchy. I washed my hands with hot soapy water as soon as I finished feeding the bloodworm, but within 10 minutes my eyes were swollen and I had a sneezing fit. After doing a Google, it seems that other hobbyists have an allergy to bloodworms.

http://www.fishlore....bloodworms.html

Safe to say I won't be using bloodworm again any time. Has anyone else experienced this before?

#2 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:52 PM

Bearing in mind that the freezing process causes cellular rupture, with associated release of intracellular protein, it would be surprising if at least some people did not display hypersensitivity to frozen chironomids.

As noted in your link, this phenomenon has been documented numerous times before; you are just one of the unlucky people who react to the allergens from this useful food.

Syd.

#3 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:18 AM

i hang a net in the water from lid to front edge and deposit frozen cubes of bloodworms in there and come back 15min later and they are defrosted in the net and easy to drop onto your fishes feeding zone - without touching them... but by the sound of it you only have to be in the same room and you'll look like your gone a few rounds with danny green :)

#4 fuggers

fuggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:04 PM

or just by the freeze dried versions. my fish dont seem to care which version they have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users