Photo

Unheated Tandanus Tandanus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:13 PM

last winter when the temp was at it's coldest one of my Tandanus broke out in large blisters - I put them both in a cichlid tank at about 26c and it cleared up pretty quick and have left them there ever since- they have grown a fair bit and would like to put them back - i've read they can take down to 5c but i'm not sure i can put them back outside in the pond - what do you recon????  ps: they are about 40cm -  thanks mal

Edited by malbone, 02 April 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:58 PM

How cold did the pond get?
They dont do well much below 15 degrees same as the other large hardy MDB species (cod, silvers, etc) but they are tough enough to survive around 10 degrees for a period of time. Below that and you will have disease and death sooner or later.

#3 malbone

malbone
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

From memory around 3c - it had the water from a down pipe which seemed food idea at the time as every time it rained it did a water change and had no filter or bacteria - the day I moved them inside it rained for hours and it was a very cold day. - now I do have a filter and hardly any fish in it now but from what you are saying it's going to be too cold anyway. - without rain I can't remember how cold but it was but it was under 10c  - the pond is 1000lts and can't think of heating that outside..................

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

Also they are very big fish for an unfiltered pond.

#5 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:07 PM

How cold did the pond get?
They dont do well much below 15 degrees same as the other large hardy MDB species (cod, silvers, etc) but they are tough enough to survive around 10 degrees for a period of time. Below that and you will have disease and death sooner or later.

Damn!! This info guts me MM. I am in the process of taking tropicals of the patio into the shed because of the fading temps [ 2 n.aters, 2salmontails,5yoyo's,2rainbows,god knows how many bn's and endlers,and bumblebee gobies] Was hoping to leave tandanus and cod on the patio but that temp range doesn't look good for winter/early spring. Whats your thoughts on the desert gobies? Have had a couple of generations of danios ,rosy barbs and mtw survive here but it does get bloody cold here sometimes. The gobies should be ok do you think?

#6 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

I reckon. Might not all survive big/rapid temp fluctuations.

#7 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:39 PM

i have had close to 5 degrees in outside tank and ponds - surely cod will survive that - had some perch survive that no problem and fed every other day when i fed them... brasilliensis survive those sort of temps... they dont thrive by any means by survive till water is warmer and then they thrive.... also had platys and white clouds survive cold winters and then when it warms breed like crazy

#8 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:24 AM

Thanks guys.

#9 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

The cod, silver & tandanus might survive but the reality is mortality rates are way, way higher for these species in Aquaculture below 15 - 11 degrees. As you know with tb's, they cant be replaced like a breeding group of platys or white clouds. To me that means the risk isnt acceptable.

Johnno,

I seem to recall you had a bad year with your pond not so long ago on account of a sudden cold snap and that was in a comparatively stable volume of water... not worth the risk with big, hard/impossible to replace fish in smaller volumes.

#10 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:26 PM

I've experimented with bristle noses over the full 12 month cycle and found that they couldn't handle the one coldest month (last month of winter). So although they might seem like there making it the coldest month will sort them out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users