Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Can Corals, Inverts Catch/carry White Spot?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 will

will
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

ive run into white spot and I have started treating, but I wanted to know if my corals (daisy coral, and leather toadstool) and peppermint shrimp can catch or will they carry it into new water? Ive looked it up on the net and haven't got much of a straight answer, if some 1 could give me a narrow yes or no thatd be great!! thankyou 

#2 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

I'm pretty sure they will not be at risk

#3 will

will
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

thanks big red terror

#4 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

No worries!

#5 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

what treatment are you using?

just checking  cause copper is leathal to inverts

#6 scarab

scarab
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

Yes there is a risk. The interval between the parasite dropping off to multiply and reinfecting can take up to 28 days. that's why you quarantine the fish for a minimum of 4 weeks and leave the tank empty. So if you will run the risk of that happening if the tank hasn't be void of fish for 4 weeks

The lifecycle of the parasite is interesting and important to understand when evaluating a treatment. The stage where the parasite is attached to a fish is called a trophont. The trophont will spend three to seven days (depending on temperature) feeding on the fish. After that, the trophont leaves the fish and becomes what is called a protomont. This protomont travels to the substrate and begins to crawl around for usually two to eight hours, but it could go for as long as eighteen hours after it leaves it's fish host. Once the protomont attaches to a surface, it begins to encyst and is now called a tomont. Division inside the cyst into hundreds of daughter parasites, called tomites, begins shortly thereafter. This noninfectious stage can last anywhere from three to twenty-eight days. During this extended period, the parasite cyst is lying in wait for a host. After this period, the tomites hatch and begin swimming around, looking for a fish host. At this point, they are called theronts, and they must find a host within twenty-four hours or die. They prefer to seek out the skin and gill tissue, then transform into trophonts, and begin the process all over again.

Taken from reefkeeping

#7 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

In my experience of marines and reef tanks I have owned, none of my invert abates including ornamental shrimp, coral - sps, lps soft etc, hermit crabs, starfish, urchins, etc etc have been affected whilst one of my fish had white spot.

With white spot, I think the best bet is to raise your temperature and drop salinity levels whilst reducing lighting and trying to feed a good amount of food to (keep the fish strong and going), some may beg to differ, but from working in pet stores and keeping marines for many years, I strongly discourage treatments/medications in the marine aquarium, in particularly with reef systems.

#8 K.v

K.v
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

UV steriliser mate, in short no you
Inverts can't catch it but they can carry it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users