Algae algaecontrol cleantank fish clear water fix

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FishKid

FishKid
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

Hi all,
Ive tried and tried to get rid of the different types of algae found in the average fishtank without success. Now, i know some algae is beneficial but when you can see sheets of it, it becomes unsightly. Ive used flourish excel ( worked but took a while and effects didnt last long. Algae came back pretty quick), algaefix, algaecure and various household remedies but to no prevail. Except with one chemical. HYDROGEN PEROXIDE! I put in about 5 capfulls (about 25mLs total) in my 200L tank and it worked a charm! Within a few days i noticed massive improvements and its natural so it breaks down into hydrogen (evaporates off) and oxygen (oxygenates the water). So thats a handy tip for anyone else struggling with algae or anyone whos just sick of it.
Thanks

#2 insanechilly

insanechilly
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

is it fine with the fish??

#3 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

Don't forget that certain soft leaved plants are VERY sensitive to Peroxide. It's safe for use with fish and shrimp. If you're spot dosing with shrimp in the tank, be sure you don't have any shrimp near by as it can kill them.

I personally like spot dosing snails with the stuff too :P

#4 YIN93

YIN93
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

One of my mate got a 6x2x2 discus tank. Most of the driftwood and plants are taken over by black beard algae. Can he use HP with out harming the Discus?

Edited by JP07, 06 May 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#5 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

Having used peroxide before, you may want to warn people of the dangerous affects it also has. ( filter bacteria death due to misuse or over use )

Also it comes in various strengths, what strength are you recommending? ( I buy 40% and dilute just before using )

#6 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

from all the research ive done using any of those chemicals to control algae usually dosent have the best interests of the fish at heart, ive read stories of people dosing their tanks with some of the different algae removing chemicals and their entire tanks died, as i mentioned on the FB page ive found good clean water and some catfish/pleco's/siamese algae eaters will control the algae very well, 5-8 Bristlenose in a large tank seem to keep it pretty clean, also things like golden apple snails will eat algae aswell

#7 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Used peroxide and flourish as well. The effects are not lasting IMO.

The one thing I did find that had the most effect over time was just changing the light spectrum. I bought a couple of new tubes and algae died away.

#8 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

i switched from a tropical globe in my oscar tanks 4 footer to a marine blue globe and that helped eliminate a lot of algae too, also dont forget you can get a UV filter fairly cheap which also helps towards removing algae

#9 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

Best off working out why there is so much algae in the first place

#10 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Really the only long term solution is to remove what causes algae to grow in the first place: light and nutrients.

Keep nitrates as low as you can by doing frequent water changes and cut down on feeding. As Kleinz said, changing the light tubes to a different spectrum will help, as well as reducing the amount of time the light is on.

Everything else is just a temporary solution.

A UV will only remove algae floating in the water. Algae growing on substrate/glass/rocks etc will be unaffected.

also dont forget you can get a UV filter fairly cheap which also helps towards removing algae

#11 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

and its natural so it breaks down into hydrogen (evaporates off) and oxygen (oxygenates the water). So thats a handy tip for anyone else struggling with algae or anyone whos just sick of it.
Thanks

Umm, this is wrong. Hydrogen peroxide dissociates into water and oxygen. There is no way that hydrogen will form as a gas under conditions pertaining inm an aquarium (at least, not with any living inhabitants surviving).

Syd

#12 FishKid

FishKid
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

hi guys,
yes i was fine with the fish and also the shrimp. The plants were also fine. I have some soft leaf natives and also hygros. As for the concerntration i think its a fairly mild strength. Around 6% or so. As of yet i have had no negative effects. However not all tanks are the same so others may get varied results.
Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Algae, algaecontrol, cleantank, fish, clear, water, fix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users