Photo

Vegetable Flake

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 angelbaby

angelbaby
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

What do you think is a good vegetable flake for mbuna?
what do you feed yours?
I've been using nls and sera flora flake.
Where can i get some sera flora wholesale or cheaper than LFS ?
They do love it, and colours are beautiful and breeding profusely...just wondering what others use.
and is Spectrum a good safe food?

Attached Files

#2 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

1. Sera flora or HBH
2. Sera Flora
3. Don't know. Keep in mind sera flora is cheaper when you buy larger quantities. Go halves or thirds with some friends and split a 2 kg bucket.
4. Yes, spectrum is a good safe food. Do a search on here and you will come up with a number of discussions about spectrum and other food brands.

#3 angelbaby

angelbaby
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

Thnks.
Yeah just got a quote from vebas
210g by weight (proper packaging) they are around $70
about $350 kg...!!!
mmm only fishy friends I have are on here.lol

#4 pacco

pacco
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

That's why most people buy the 1L tubs or the 2kg buckets (which are $185 btw)
If you want wholesale prices you could always open a LFS - with the margins we make we are all mega rich you know wink.gif

Cheers
Pacco

#5 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

As with any product, if you buy in bulk you save money. For fish food, this can mean a LOT of savings. If you don't go through the volumes in a reasonable amount of time, vacuumpack and/or freeze food until you need it.

#6 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

I highly recommend HBH vegie flakes! smile.gif

#7 angelbaby

angelbaby
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (pacco @ Jun 9 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's why most people buy the 1L tubs or the 2kg buckets (which are $185 btw)
If you want wholesale prices you could always open a LFS - with the margins we make we are all mega rich you know wink.gif

Cheers
Pacco

ahhh
Well thats more reasonable.
Giving swpets a call now, to get some down.
Thanks Pacco, better than the first price smile.gif

whats hbh stand for?

#8 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

No idea, its just the brand I think. Anyways, the reason why I highly recommend HBH is because I used to feed my fish NLS (Spectrum), Sera Flora etc. but have found HBH to be a better product! Also, it doesn't have that "fish food smell". Smells more like dried lettuce... lol biggrin.gif

#9 NathanD

NathanD
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Jun 9 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No idea, its just the brand I think. Anyways, the reason why I highly recommend HBH is because I used to feed my fish NLS (Spectrum), Sera Flora etc. but have found HBH to be a better product... also, it doesn't have that"fish food smell". Smells more like dried lettuce... lol biggrin.gif

How about the price for HBH vegie flake 2.5 kg? Is it cheaper than Sera flora? Thanks

#10 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:09 PM

I'm not a fish shop so cannot answer your question, sorry.. smile.gif

I got mine from Aquotix if you want to know where to get them. The HBH was bundled in with other stuff, so can't remember how much it was for the bucket.

#11 keenas

keenas
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:52 PM

Im with Kevin. HBH Veggie flake for me too. I have used the others in the past with good results from Sera Flora second IMO. I wont used NLS again. That said Ill explain why, when I fed NLS I found my filter material and water become dirtier faster, which I didnt like. I also noted with NLS the fish bred alot faster, EY breeding at 3cm... Anyway since going to HBH I have found I can be much lazier doing water changes less frequently and also cleaning filters less often. Thinking about it, I have also had less tank crashes with HBH, especially when others decide to feed my fish... Anywat my preference for "bulk" food product
1 HBH
2 Sera Flora
3 NLS

#12 angelbaby

angelbaby
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

Thanks everyone smile.gif

#13 angelbaby

angelbaby
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:51 AM

would this be the same HBH flake you are talking about?
8 VEGGIE™ FLAKE fish food is loaded with eight different vegetables: spirulina algae, spinach, green pea, alfalfa, kelp meal, zucchini, beet, and carrot. This super veggie blend is ideal for conditioning, breeding or simply improving the diet of herbivorous fish. 8 Veggie™ Flake also includes ChromaColor™, and Health Booster, for dramatic color enhancement, and increased health. Guaranteed Analysis: Min. Crude Protein 35 % Min. Crude Fat 6 % Max. Crude Fiber 6% Max. Moisture content 10 % Max. Ash 10 %

#14 Cicolid

Cicolid
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:48 AM

Fish food is the same as most things.....You get what you pay for.
Years ago I fed my fish on any "El-cheapo" food I could get.
Since changing ( a few years ago) to NLS, Sera Flora & HBH my fish have never had such vibrant colour & they have never been so healthy with far less diseases.

As others have said, buying in bulk is always cheaper. Many people buy in bulk, take enough out for a few weeks & put the rest in the fridge or freezer until needed.

I just reseal the container & store it in the dark & have never had any hassle.

HTH

Col

#15 angelbaby

angelbaby
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:38 PM

'Sometimes' you get what you pay for...old school saying in the new school doesn't always apply now.
I appreciate all the reviews, and will have a fishload of a good food collection.
I made some from the Ed konigs book spiralina prawn, peas, vitamins etc, but it fouled up the tank wicked, cos I didnt have the book yet and was going from memory wink.gif and forgot the lecithin that holds it together, doh!
good way though to medicate fish with any intestinal problem (before they stop eating).
So I ordered the Sera Flora cos I couldnt get the HTH vege in time.
(Hey Pacco, can you swap the 2kg sera for HTH?) smile.gif
biggrin.gif
and I have already been feeding with SLF.
Quite pleased with that, but improving the maintenance load would certainly be appreciated, so will be good to spare it out.
As for wanting to find the cheapest price, I'm on disability with a 20 tank obsession- give me a break lol.

Anyway this has been a good post!
Thanks all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users