Photo

Algaecide as preventative measure against algae

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mintox

Mintox
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

Re did my mates pond recently, looks a lot better and I've chucked in some algaecide to hopefully prevent pea soup. Does anyone use algaecide to stop algae growth and how often do you use it?

#2 Plechoe

Plechoe
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

I've got a decent sized pond outside and i buy these little cube looking things to kill off algae and my pond is crystal clear. You should be able to buy them from most fish shops, just describe them and they'll know what ya need

#3 Mintox

Mintox
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:34 PM

Thanks plechoe, I'll tell my friend about these cubes.

#4 fisho

fisho
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

if u got the money buy a uv clarifier it will turn pea soup into crystal clear water in about 2 weeks +- on the size
try the pond place in woodvale they sell cheap pondmaster uv clarifier's

or use barley straw from bunnings it works by some natural chemicals leeking from the straw when it slowly erodes to reduce algae but pond need to be free of algae before uses

or plant filter (ask the guy at woodvale he will give u heaps of info to make it or go to www.backyardaquaponics.com ) but due to the use of algaecide i would tend to wait before using this method due to it might kill off the plants

HTH andrew

#5 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

algeacidies are a expensive tempory soloution as mentioned your best bet is to get a uv, may seem expensive but think about how much your pay for the algeacide block and you must keep adding them, uvs are a 1 off price

#6 Mintox

Mintox
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:29 PM

We purchased a filter with a UV light and forgot to turn it on before we went on holiday, came back with pea soup. Turned it on and it became a lot clearer, but not crystal clear.

The glass casing of the UV light is quite brown and it probably needs to be replaced. My friend was quite lazy with maintenance and the water never really became crystal clear.

We re-did the pond recently and I know the UV light will keep the water column nice and clear. I was just worried about the algae on the pond liner that builds up after a while. Since this is not my pond I can only make suggestions, his choice if he wants to implement them.

Anyways, had to tank the koi as there's a hole in the pond that we'll have to rectify in the near future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users