Photo

What Is Wrong..?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

The tank has cycled I got the water tested twice and put some bacteria from my other filter in there incase. I'm an international water polo player hence why I just got back from California. I have to train lots, take care of 2 other fish tanks, clean the house for my mum and help my dad at work. No time... Different hobby... I don't like any other hobbies in all honesty believe me I have tried a fair few... Plus I love fish and aquatic animals with all my heart but recently not so much...

Edited by LexAgate, 26 December 2015 - 06:36 PM.

#22 benno87

benno87
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:51 PM

Lol trust me man when your workin 6 days a week 10-11 hours per day rain, hail or shine you'll be wishing you had the time and energy you had at the age of 14. Chuck in a mrs and kid or 2 and you'll be wishing you were 14 again playin all ya sports running amok etc etc. lf you are really as short on time as what you say you are then maybe some of the more forgiving and hardier species of cichlids may be best for you. Or if you've already invested all this money into the tank and fish a master test kit can't be too much more of an outlay if it saves you hundreds worth of fish.

#23 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

Looks like I'll have 2 male Cyprichromis left... And 5 boops...

So much money then they drop off like flies, the other look 100% and water seems fine...

2 male Cyprichromis looks like dad has to cough up some $$$ to get some more cyps so they breed, I can't because I'm broke...

#24 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:49 PM

Unless you had an ammo spike then the problem isnt your water quality.... given fish are dying so quick though I reckon it is ammo. Cycling a tank is sometimes straight forward and other times it can be a bit of a challenge with recycles occurring for seemingly no reason.
Missing 1 weeks water change in a lightly stocked, otherwise healthy tank doesnt lead to multiple deaths like you have had.
If you can afford fish tanks, you can afford a test kit. If you have time to look at fish, you have time to look after them. Weekly maintenance on 3 tanks takes about 20 - 30 mins if you are pedantic.
Unfortunatly Benno's right... We all get time poorer as we get older... kids, missus, work, uni... it gets harder. If you really are struggling for time then give up trying to breed fish and just keep one nice setup that you have time to maintain and enjoy.
I only have 3 tanks at the moment because any more would be way too hard to look after and it takes the fun out of the hobby. Sure I want more fish all the time but ive learned that there is just no point... some times less is more.
To emphasize that point; The best fish I ever owned cost $2.50.

#25 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:27 AM

Wasn't this tank just set up, if so you have crashed it and it has gone into a mini cycle. You need to learn patience young grasshopper, rushing things just ends in, well you know how it ends. Never a good idea to put pricey fish into a newly set up tank, use cheap common fish for this. Then when the tank is established (not just cycled the bare minimum) you can add a few more and so on until you are confident that it has matured. So what to do now 1. stop feeding 2. small daily water changes (aged water, not out of the tap) for a week. Then very small amounts of food every other day for a week then re-evaluate. The damage has been done now so don't be to surprised if more deaths happen. Three things NOT TO DO 1. Massive water changes 50% or more ( this helps short term but just prolongs the recycle long term). 2.DO NOT clean filters, this will only disturb what little bacteria you have. and 3 DO NOT add anymore fish. Don't give up, it's happened to us all just remember next time when you want to rush it, BE PATIENCE.

Good luck, Fingers crossed for ya.

#26 benno87

benno87
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:40 AM

Water always "seems" fine when you don't have test kits. Just because it looks clear don't mean it's good for fish. Did you have anyone feeding the fish for you whilst away? Possibly could have been severely overfed in your absence and not enough bacteria may have reproduced yet or filters are maybe still too new to take the extra load? Just a thought. Do yourself another favour and read read and then read some more about the entire nitrogen cycle and the way bb works. And also don't bother getting your lfs to test your water it's not fair on them when something goes wrong as the water may show up fine one day then parameters totally different the next day if it's a new tank that's just been stocked. Good luck mate hope it works out for ya.

#27 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

I have 2 Astro canisters with 1330 L/PH

Running 2 won't double your flow rate, it will still be 1330lph, you've just doubled your media capacity :)

#28 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:28 PM

Got the water tested its 90% good, oh just a little high PH but that shouldn't kill fish...

I have the boops and they are meant to be super touchy so they would have died quick if it was water but only 2 of the 6 did.

They have white stringy poo, so the only two ways they could have died is stomach infections (have treated with metro) or they could have not had enough air in the tank... Or maybe just some bad luck.

I don't have much time to admire my fish...

Sad state of affairs of another dies then I'll be doing something like trading them into where I got them...

#29 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

The fish are breathing heavily but the aeration is perfect...

Sadly down to 1 cyp and 3 boops...

Might trade them in...

#30 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

Ammonia.... Id be adding some Prime and some salt. I wouldnt be trading these fish in. They clearly arent in good health at the moment and you dont want to just make it someone elses problem.

#31 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:06 AM

I'll test ammonia I got a kit

#32 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:10 AM

You wont necessarily detect it. The spike may have already passed. Test anyway though, add prime regardless, it wont hurt even if the problem isnt ammonia.
Salt will help with respiration

#33 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:19 AM

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451269122.812480.jpg   330.63KB   11 downloads

#34 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

Just because your ammonia tests zero, it completely doesn't mean that ammonia hasn't spiked at another point of time making fish sick.
Ammonia levels will usually remain when freshly cycling a tank.
Most other ammonia issues come and go fast,,,, but ammonia is so toxic it effects the fish fast.

What is the temp of your water at the moment ?

#35 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:06 AM

The temp is 26 can't lower it any more the heater isn't even on the air keeps it at that...

#36 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

Are you able to test for nitrites/nitrates?

If not bring a water sample down to the shop (I'm here till 5:40) today and I'll test everything we can possibly test for :)

#37 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:28 PM

I'll test everything I can

#38 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:34 PM

Here they are Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451277266.769083.jpg   459.09KB   10 downloads

#39 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hmm 0 Nitrates did ya test right after a water change ??

#40 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:55 PM

^^^^. That's what I also thought of.
The tank temp being 26'c at time of questioning is in this mini heat wave and in summer,,,,,,,, to be this cool, it's either lots of water changes or your house is airconditioned at fairly low temperature setting.

The actual water testing needs to be carried out at the exact time of issue.
Taking various actions like water changing and so on, then testing after water after does not tell the tail of anything....

Not saying this is so,,,, just expressing a possibility in this or any other situation anyone else could have.

Usually what you visually see and notice of poor health (or very sudden poor health) , is most often a secondary issue that is a result of a primary issue,, things that can trigger of a issue is eg,, ammonia,,, another primary issue could be gram-negative bacteria, temperature (associated with oxygen deprivation), food,,,,,, along with a host of others,,,,,,,,
Primary issues can be as seen above,,, as environmental or biological factors can be at play turning into disease which are secondary.

Turning one blind eye to all this will hold one back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users