New Fish Room

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:53 AM

Hi All

I have been busy building a new fishroom. What started as the idea for a fishroom has kind of turned into a house extension.

I took advantage of the extra patio area I have so the floor and roof where already there, but the person who built the patio was an absolute shonky bugger and I have had to fix many leaks and design flaws to ensure the room stays perfectly dry and that the roof didnt eventually collapse!

Main aims of the fish room design are:
Minimual electricity usage and automation.
Plan to use as much natural light as possible.
Trickle filters covering multiple tanks to reduce number of pumps and heaters.
Double insulation in roof and walls to maximize heat retention in winter and keep heat out in summer.
Automated water change system.

Many thanks to Ronny who has helped me alot with this project. smile.gif

The patio area

First put solar triple core sunpal panels up for skylights, I want to get as much free light as possible while keeping room insulated. Ronny is putting it up here.

Putting up roof and outer wall, couldnt fit other half of the roof yet as I was waiting on custom brackets to attach the patio roof to the house rafters because the shonky patio builder had just attached the patio roof to the outer gutter facia with 2 little screws.

Roof Brackets fitted and roof insulation completed, R1.5 polyacrylic batts and then 75mm thermal panels used to insulate the roof.

This 2.4meter window has been removed to create 2 doorways, a shoppers entry on the garage side and then an entrance to the fishroom, you can see the back of the 9 foot tank, which will be moved into the new room when its ready and thus opening the doorway openings.

Back wall is up seperating the garage from the fishroom.

The view from the backyard, the large window you can see facing the backyard is the one removed from the side of the house, sliding door fitted too. I had a bunch of spare bricks that the original builders left behind, so I figured that using them in this highly visible area would make the room look more like part of the house, I was about 60 bricks short to do it, and the brick style is obsolete, but luckily I managed to track down the last 66 bricks in existence.

View of the sidewall between the boat garage and fish room.

View from the inside facing the backyard, the brick areas will be panelled with 75mm thermo panels for insualtion

Next step I plan to gybrock the entire room, I may possibly tile it too, tiling is still not decided, and then I will start on the tanks and plumbing.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#2 Brett93

Brett93
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

looking good Den smile.gif

Looking forward to the updates xD

#3 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:59 PM

Wow, you've done heaps in a week!
Sorry I coulnt be there to help put up the back wall and doors.

It's really starting to come together biggrin.gif

I'll try and give you a hand with the gybrock when I get back, even though I too am vertically challenged lol.

#4 ado

ado
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

looking great!

keep those photos coming!

#5 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (Ronny @ Oct 3 2009, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, you've done heaps in a week!
Sorry I coulnt be there to help put up the back wall and doors.

It's really starting to come together biggrin.gif

I'll try and give you a hand with the gybrock when I get back, even though I too am vertically challenged lol.

Gees den that is looking great. If you need any help that isn't vertically challenged give me a yell.

#6 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:10 PM

Awesome job Den, Cant wait to see what goes in it wink.gif

#7 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Hey Ronny Ill probably take you up on that offer, laugh.gif

Thanks for the offer too Highlucks but I think Forrestfield is too far to travel, Ronny lives just around the corner from me.

I've never done gybrock before so it will be a bit of a learning experience for me, because of the roof shape and other funny wall angles I think it will be trickier than an average job.

I can wait to get all the tanks up and running in there smile.gif

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#8 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

Looks fantastic, geat job!

Tony

#9 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (Den @ Oct 3 2009, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Ronny Ill probably take you up on that offer, laugh.gif

Thanks for the offer too Highlucks but I think Forrestfield is too far to travel, Ronny lives just around the corner from me.

I've never done gybrock before so it will be a bit of a learning experience for me, because of the roof shape and other funny wall angles I think it will be trickier than an average job.

I can wait to get all the tanks up and running in there smile.gif

Cheers
Den smile.gif

Don't worry mate we drive all over the state to see what is available at the LFS's it isn't too much trouble to go for a drive and help out a like minded person. If I can be of assistance at some point let me know.

Gyprocking isn't too hard just make sure you have fasteners strong enough or an adhesive that is up to the job. Sikaflex 297 would be a good option as it is a urethane adhesive that allows for some flex its a bit pricey but will never let go.

#10 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the advice highlucks, I have been using some sikaflex to seal up the sliding door.

#11 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:00 PM

Looks great Den! What sort of set up with you have inside, multi-tier racks or display tanks? What sort of fish?

Daz

#12 STEVEGREEN

STEVEGREEN
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:24 PM

Den that looks amazing mate , my advice is work out where the tanks are going to live , decide on the filters and plumbing before you do too much more , especially before tiling or floor coverings.

looks awesome mate , thats one hellova project youve got going on

Cheers
Steve Green

#13 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

Lookin good mate. I'll have to come around for a sticky beak when it's all done.

#14 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:41 PM

For starters Im putting in the 10 & 9 footers against one wall and on the opposite side of the room a 10foot breeding rack containing 5 tanks 1 6x2 & 1 4x2 on the top row and 3 3x2's on the bottom shelf. Im also planning on putting a kiddies pool/ pond somewhere in the middle of the room, not sure if I will put more tanks in, I think thats enough for now, maybe more later.

Everything will be plumbed into trickle filters which will have automated waterchange systems.

Inlet fresh water pipes will come through the roof area and I already have a drain on one side of the room that goes into a large under floor soakwell and you may notice an opaque panel in the window, this is where the holes will be drilled for outlet drains where old tank water from the other side of the room will be directed into the garden.

Fish will be mostly south americans, wouldnt mind a few tang and malawi tanks and a marine tank if I can find the space.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#15 Brett93

Brett93
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:05 AM

That sounds great!!! Alot of tanks ohmy.gif
Cant wait to see updates and most of all the end product!

Brett

#16 Bluey

Bluey
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

Den,
Thanks for the guided tour.
Plenty of room for what you talked about, including the water fall.
Ray.

#17 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

Gybrock starting to go up, getting there - slowly, the roof was a bit challenging for me. huh.gif

Edited by Den, 31 March 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#18 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

Fish room is finally finished, 14 tanks and a pond and Ive already run out of tank space.

#19 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

Nice work mate.

So its flower horns ago go then wink.gif

#20 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (highlucks @ Oct 12 2010, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice work mate.

So its flower horns ago go then wink.gif

Thanks, yes its mostly flowerhorns in there, but I have about 6 species of central Americans in the pond, and Im also breeding a few pairs of leucosticta.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users