Photo

8x2.5x2 tank journal

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:56 PM

this will become my worklog for my new malawi biotope. hope you can enjoy it as much as i will building it:)

#2 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:12 PM

When do u start giving scuba tours?? :wink:

#3 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

i promise a pic of me swimming in this tank:) :wink:

#4 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

So whats the biotype going to be? I'd be interested to see how accurate its going to turn out. What species are you thinking of?

My malawi tank is almost a sand-dweller/sifter tank (8 phenos, 1 peacock). Though theres also 3 borleyi and an eb though. I need a bigger tank so i can get some rostratus and lethrinops biggrin.gif. Some phenos and rostratus in that tank would be perfect! Oooh, ooh and a C. caeruleus cruising around the top biggrin.gif

#5 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:51 PM

Nice tank!

In summer you can invite all the members to a barbecue and swim! biggrin.gif lol

What malawi do you plan for it?

#6 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

(Andrew)

There's no going back now! hahaha biggrin.gif

#7 Dramat1c

Dramat1c
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

yea i am looking forward to see that too! HOHOHO!

#8 KrAmEr

KrAmEr
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

nice tank, but how thicks the glass looks like 10mm which might not be enough..

#9 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

got the bulkeads and sump pluming nearly complete. will post up some pics soon:)

#10 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:07 AM

40mm pipe:)

#11 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

I'm assuming the bulkheads are made of one threaded to pipe connector inside another? Did you have any problems with it not being a tight enough fit (because of only having a few mm extra around the hole)

What kind of gaskets are you using for the bulkheads? From the pictures, it looks like you just siliconed them in, but i'd be worried about moving the outside pipe which would act as a leaver, breaking the bond. With separate gaskets you dont get this problem.

Also, you still havent mentioned what your biotype is going to be.

#12 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 June 2007 - 04:38 PM

(hlokk)
I'm assuming the bulkheads are made of one threaded to pipe connector inside another? Did you have any problems with it not being a tight enough fit (because of only having a few mm extra around the hole)

What kind of gaskets are you using for the bulkheads? From the pictures, it looks like you just siliconed them in, but i'd be worried about moving the outside pipe which would act as a leaver, breaking the bond. With separate gaskets you dont get this problem.

Also, you still havent mentioned what your biotype is going to be.

i have used the same setup in my 8x2x2 for over a year, with no leaks or any problems. the setup i have in the 8x2x2 relies on a product called duraseal which is some nasty stuff. its is extremely viscous at room temperature, and takes a long time to fully set. i used it in my 8x2, and also plan to use it in this tank to seal around the bulkheads. thsi ensures a great seal.

i have scrapped the idea of a biotope, as i feel if i were going to do it, i would want to do it to perfection, and i currently cannot achieve it with the fish i want to stock, so this tank will just be a mixed malawi tank.

iam currently debating whether or not to use limestone in it as feature rcoks, as i think they have been done to death, and i would like to look into some more authentic, such as darker coloured rocks for the tank.

ps where can i get some of that nice CIM sand for this tank? i think it may be called coral sand or something?

#13 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:07 PM

(Andrew)
i have used the same setup in my 8x2x2 for over a year, with no leaks or any problems. the setup i have in the 8x2x2 relies on a product called duraseal which is some nasty stuff. its is extremely viscous at room temperature, and takes a long time to fully set. i used it in my 8x2, and also plan to use it in this tank to seal around the bulkheads. thsi ensures a great seal.

I doubt you would get a leak unless you moved the pipe, but moving the pipe (say accidentally) would be my worry.
Are the overflows just stardard? Will you be fitting an overflow box? I'd suggest turning the heads on the inside of the tank upsidedown, then drilling the cap for form a durso. Even better, use an internal weir for heigh regulation, then use a siphon as a main drain, with a durso a little bit higher. Will give you quiet normal operation, and if the siphon breaks, the durso will kick in. Just make sure the durso can handle the load though. A weir box will stop fish getting in, remove noise and make it easier to skim the surface.

i have scrapped the idea of a biotope, as i feel if i were going to do it, i would want to do it to perfection, and i currently cannot achieve it with the fish i want to stock, so this tank will just be a mixed malawi tank.

Ahh, i'm dissapointed sad.gif. What biotype were you going for anyways?

iam currently debating whether or not to use limestone in it as feature rcoks, as i think they have been done to death, and i would like to look into some more authentic, such as darker coloured rocks for the tank.

Try granite type rocks, the larger the better. My GF has a tank with brown rocks she got from her garden and it looks quite natural. Go to soils aint soils or similar and go through their moss rock pile. You'll need to wash the dirt off though. If you use large rocks and pour the sand in after (pour over the rocks, it will settle eventually), it will give you a very authentic looking lake malawi. The next step is to paint or cover the background and at least one side with black paint or film, then set the lights as far foward as possible so the back of the tank is shadowy. Will look really cool. Remember to put down some grating first, before you put any sand in. Either use egg-crate/light diffusor, or get some plastic drain covers from bunnings and put them in the tank, arrange the rocks, fill with water, then fill with sand several centimeters deep. Remember, the larger the rocks the better, you want boulder rocks say 30cm+ with some smaller ones.

ps where can i get some of that nice CIM sand for this tank? i think it may be called coral sand or something?

Try ringing CIM laugh.gif. For my marine tank I setup, I used authentic live coral sand. Though the shop I got it at (Ocean Reefs) sells it at $2/kg dry (wash it and it'll be suitable for freshwater). Though, seeing as you need 23kg to get 1cm of sand it will be a bit pricey, but it is actual coral sand. I'm guessing you dont need an exact sand though. For my tanks I used pool filter sand (from CIM), cost $12/20kg. Very uniform grains though. CIM do random grain ones but they are larger grain size i thought.
http://www.cimonline...au/minerals.asp
Alternatively get some sand delivered from soils aint soils (may need a bit of washing though). For large quanitities, you can put it in your tank, then run a super-fine wool filter and keep stiring it up, should be clean in a week or two depending on the particles (dont quote me on this).

edit: if you can, put down a thick sheet of plywood on the stand before the foam and tank so the really heavy rocks (they will weigh 10's of kg) will not be spanning a large distance.

#14 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:10 PM

i should probly just ring him, but the substrate iam thinking of is used in mark at atlantis's display tank? anyone know if it is cim? he has bags of cim below the tank fs, but i have never asked him if the are the same, and if so how much:)

#15 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:33 PM

Hi Andrew
The CIM place is just around the corner from my place in Jandakot.
If you go int the office they have a heap (no pun) of samples to look at and you can choose from there.
From them its around $16 or so for a 25 kg bag. (or there abouts anyway)
Mike

#16 keleherr

keleherr
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:58 PM

i thought cim stopped selling to the public unless you brought a whole pallet?
the ones at marks shop are just normal gravel.but the stuff he has in his display tank he had about 20-30L spare last time i was there

#17 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:02 PM

any idea what its called james?

#18 Noddy65

Noddy65
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

As far as I know you can still buy bags...although it has been a few months since Ive been to CIM. It is much cheaper by the pallet. I got a bag of coral sand from there a while ago, not sure if you can still get it.
Mike

#19 Craig79

Craig79
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 June 2007 - 09:28 AM

(monobono)
(Andrew)

There's no going back now! hahaha biggrin.gif
any updates on this Andrew laugh.gif

-Craig biggrin.gif

#20 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

I'll be needing some crushed coral or limesand soon. If you wanna lower ur costs by buying in bulk let me know.

Dazza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users