Photo

Help Plz Updated

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nathan88

nathan88
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

hi all i need help my sailfin keeps swimming rapidly to the top then making a splash then goes and hides can any 1 help me?? or let me know what is happening thnx nathan its doing it like every 5 mins

#2 Robbotheyobbo

Robbotheyobbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

Do the rite thing & sum 1 mite reply , till then bad luck

#3 4x4xfar

4x4xfar
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

What sort of a reply is that Witchy? dry.gif

Nathan 88, dont worry about it, it is quite normal, all my Plecos do it also.

#4 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:38 PM

And what does "do the right thing" involve?

I thought that was a bit harsh....

Nathan, do you have enough surface agitation in the tank, thus providing enough oxygen in the water? My Pleco does this, not as often as every 5 minutes but which is why I suggested about oxygen levels....

Some details about your tank may help other members out in trying to help you out, eg what size tank, what kind of filtration you have on it, water params etc etc

You posted at just after 8pm, is he still doing it?

#5 Fezz

Fezz
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:20 AM

hmmmm, yes i dont understand the first reply also... dry.gif

the only time my plecs seem to do this is when there is not enough oxygen as fishgal suggested.

Maybe check there is enough air, or as a measure throw an airstone in there for a while and see if it stops doing this after some time... might be a warning sign.

good luck
-Ian

#6 nathan88

nathan88
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:26 PM

its a 3 foot tank by 2 foot wide with a airstone as long as the tank .. i never turn it off lots and lots of air in there water levels are fine no ammonia lvls at all all fine and filter is a old eheim cannister not very big thos stands bout 30 cms high .. hope that helps every 1 thnx guys

witchy if you have nothing good to say to people please dont leave any stupid comments thnx

Edited: removed insult.
Cawdor

#7 Johny

Johny
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

hahaha lol...good one laugh.gif

Edited: Removed quoted insult
Cawdor

#8 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:45 PM

Hi there,

My common bristlenose do this every now and then as well and come to no harm, but I don't believe it is part of their repertoire of comfortable behaviours. In fact, make sure your tank is covered because one of mine zipped up to the top and out of the tank on one of it's run to the top! Don't worry, it's ok and about 7cm long now (if you want to know about fish disasters, just ask me)

However, having said that, sadly I have lost a couple of BNs along the way, and the behaviour I observed prior to that happening was similar to the behaviour you are describing. I don't know what causes it, but I would investigate a little further and check that your pH is within suitable limits for your fish and nitrites and nitrates are within acceptable limits. I was a newbie at the time but if I saw that behaviour again over a period of time I would be looking into it straight away.

Regards,

Donna

naf

#9 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

Any updates on your sailfin?

#10 Fish_Legz

Fish_Legz
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hi all, just my 2cents worth but I keep a tank of mystery snails with a bunch of breeding guppies and about 10 b/n.
The b/n in this tank sometimes do that too and that's usually when the int filter's flow slows down and the water is filthy!
I used to think it was the ammonia levels but perhaps if your tank has fine levels of ammonia, it's the sky rocketted nitrite levels!
At one stage, the tank nitrite levels didn't measure anything less than 2ppm, some of the time past the 5ppm (didn't think it could get that dark!)
When it used to then have the filtration slow down, the b/n used to be my indicator for a 80% water change!
So maybe its high nitrites and/or oxygen levels but you rule that one out with the 4ft airstone! Just a thought, oh and since i've put in an eheim 2207 and even with 600 snails and a bunch of rowdy guppies, the nitrites are at 0 and ammonia likewise! Cheers for your time.

Cliff

#11 nathan88

nathan88
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

hi all thnx for the help i done a 50% water change and got a new air pump and new airstone 12 inch and filter small eheim cannister and now hes great but still doing it but only like 1s a day ... thnx all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users