Photo

Help - Bloat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stuey

Stuey
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:18 AM

I noticed when feeding late last night that one of my tropheus had large puffy eyes and was segregated from the rest of the colony. This morning, sadly, I fished out his body.

After testing the water this morning and observing the rest of the colony eating veraciously, the only reason i can determine is aggression.

My question is should i treat the colony with metro or is it better to hold off? i don't want to overuse metro in fear that it will lose it's effectiveness.

As stated the colony look fine, feed fine and the water quality is as it should be. It was just that single fish that showed symptoms.

Just checked my DMZ and it went out of date in May 2008....

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:24 AM

I got meds if you want it

What do you feed the tropheus?

I have never kept T's, but with my fish I don't feed them on Wednesday and on Sunday. Maybe give that a shot

#3 Stuey

Stuey
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I'll take you up on that offer if you don't mind.

I am feeding NLS Algaemax and I'm always careful with feeding but I do feed a small amount twice a day as I'm trying to condition the colony to breed. The only thing I can think of feeding related is that when I drop the food in the wavemaker pushes whatever the colony initially miss towards the back corner and it gets stuck behind the filter, I had noticed one single cunning but clever little bugger who would always head to the back corner to clear it up, maybe that was the one who died? I just would have thought that if I was overfeeding more than one would show symptoms.

Honestly I hadn't really noticed any increase in aggression as a whole but I did see the alpha male go a bit hyper aggressive a couple of nights back, maybe he just wore himself down trying to fight every fish in the tank. My bets are on that being the cause.

right now i'm likely to come down with bloat because i'm stressing that the whole colony is going to start dropping like flies. Right in time for Christmas too.

Edited by Stuey, 24 December 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

Stuey how did you go mate? Tropheus all good now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users