Photo

Breeding

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Pedigree

Pedigree
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2002 - 10:03 PM

Hey i am thinking of breeding Labeotropheus fulleborni just to get some experience in breeding and maybe earn abit of money :) . I wanna know some things : 1.how many males/females should i get 2males/5females or what? 2. If shes holding should i transfer her into another tank or will she be fine with the others ? 3. Once she has spat them out so to speak will the others eat them ? Well thats about it . It will all depend on if I sell my other fish . Thanks

#2 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2002 - 10:33 PM

Hi just a bit of info for u. Most of the stuff i know about fish is from fish webpages and looking in books i think u should first search the web about Labeotropheus fulleborni then if u couldnt find any info (u should) then u post a question thats just my opinon 8)

#3 me

me
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2002 - 10:59 PM

You could just put a post here and let other peopel tell you the info ;)

#4 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2002 - 11:27 PM

me u shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 TI

TI
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2002 - 11:50 PM

you can have 1 male to as many females and you have to remove the female from the tank .

#6 Pedigree

Pedigree
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2002 - 12:44 AM

Electric i have searched but i want to get your opinionsd to so dont get cheeky :p hehe. Man i rang veba's about selling my fish OMG rip off's they said $22.50 for my hongi i was like yer so u can make a $70 profit no way mate. Umm i will take reasonible offers on my fish cheaper than before my post in classifieds is "urgent regretifull sale" or sumthing like that so check it out. I was going to move but im not any more so i wanna breed something. Thanks for your help guys !

#7 00 MooRRii 00

00 MooRRii 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2002 - 03:08 AM

Hongi are around 15buks from a breeder... so their price is about right... but yes they do try and make a killing but it is onlts tupid hobbiest who dont look around who buy them.

But i admit i have been ripped a few times.

#8 Pedigree

Pedigree
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2002 - 03:59 AM

Dont tell every one now i wont be able to sell mine for 50 bux
heheh sum one buy my fish !!!

#9 shaperau

shaperau
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2002 - 07:41 AM

what breeders ? im fairly new to the fish world, and the only places i know to get fish are fish shops, this board, and the quokka. where else can we source good quality fish ?

#10 fish styx

fish styx
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2002 - 03:38 PM

Pedigree,

If you're looking for some fullebornis, I have a male and female, breeding (can't stop them) that I need to get out of my tank. email me fish_styx@bigpond.com if you're interested

#11 fish styx

fish styx
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2002 - 03:41 PM

And while we're at it, can somebody tell me the full name of the hongi please?

Thanks

#12 fishman

fishman
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2002 - 04:51 PM

Labidiochromis sp."hongi island"
It is in the electric yellow family originating from the locality of hongi island. I think !

Image by FlamingText.com
Image by FlamingText.com

#13 fish styx

fish styx
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2002 - 05:06 PM

Thanks

#14 00 MooRRii 00

00 MooRRii 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2002 - 05:08 PM

if you were really interested in these fish u could aquire some frominterstate that only if you were willing to get 20-30... to make it worth your while...

The $70 markup isnt alll profit... the shop still has to pay...
All sorts of bills and rent... fish food... wages... so you can see why they have to mark them up so much...

#15 Pedigree

Pedigree
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2002 - 08:24 PM

Yeh i suppose but they are still making the money of it its ridiculous some of there prices . Fish styx id love to buy those if i can work something out with my fish :) someone please buy my fish dammnit !! ok thanks for all ur info :)

#16 00 MooRRii 00

00 MooRRii 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2002 - 08:49 PM

pedigree please register

#17 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 12 October 2002 - 09:14 PM

Hi,

Recently there has been some criticism of stores and their markups. A $70 markup may seem excessive to you, but you need to consider the LFS's overheads - staff, rent, electricity, not to mention losses of stock.

That hongi you are trying to sell may die, or maybe no one will buy them at that price. Fish stores lose a lot of stock and thats just part of the trade. No one can guarantee that the next person to trade in 100 electric yellows wont have some kind of internal parasite that will kill them all in 3 weeks.

Not to mention that though the fish may be expensive, demand may not be high enough for them to sell the fish at a price that will let them earn a little to make a living. Hongis are expensive now, but really they are just another mbuna that breeds readily and are pricey only because they are new. There is a very limited pool of individuals willing to invest their money into new arrivals and rarities. Just look at the incredibly rapid decline in hongi prices over east and still the very low demand for them.

So to put it bluntly, say they pay $15 ea for 10 hongi. Add in staff, rent, and other overheads plus the 2 that died a couple of days later... Then they take a few months to try to sell an expensive fish everyone wants but very few want to pay for. Add in discounts for regular customers and cichlid society members and the margin may not be so large as you would think.. tongue.gif

Remember, the owner wants to make a living as well. They are often working extremely long hours with few holidays due to the nature of the trade.

I would say that many might earn a better rate per hour working as night filler at Coles or something like that...

LFS's provide a service, the rare and not so good looking fish that dont sell all that well are probably not the big money earners. However, the hobby here would experience a big loss if these shops were to only sell what would make them a decent amount of money.. :)

Sorry for the long spiel, i just felt that their side of the story needed to be told.

BTW I dont work for any LFS's .. LOL tongue.gif

#18 me

me
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2002 - 11:45 PM

Okay soa hongi's markup is aroudn $60-$70............you say that isnt much.
Well what about fish liek oscars??
They get like a $10 mark up and yet they eat more, grow bigger and take up more tank space, therefore requirign more water changes, more water conditioner???

if you go by food and water etc woudl the mark up on an oscar be say.......$100 compared to a hongi?
I doubt it, so you cant say that They have to oay for food etc.........That is only a minute fee as fish food is bought in bulk and water changes done not just by each tank but by multiple tanks.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...................... maybe LFS are rippign peopel off, and Hongi's shoudl be worth $30 form breeders??

#19 peddigree

peddigree
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2002 - 11:47 PM

Yer sorry i always take my time :p lol Bought the nice pair of fuelli's today beautifull :) from fish styx they are getting on very well in their new home :) cya

#20 fish styx

fish styx
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2002 - 12:22 AM

They're happy, you're happy, I'm happy

Let me know how they go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users