P. nyererei - Python Island?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 oo fish styx oo

oo fish styx oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2003 - 02:50 AM

Hi all

I inherited these little beauties from a friend, who simply told me they were "nyererei" I don't know much about Victorians, and all the pictures I saw of nyererei were much redder and less gold than my guys.... pictures of them are at

au.photos.yahoo.com/styx_oz

I've done a bit of research, and the only ones I can find that are even close are Pundimilia nyererei "Python Island" but I'm not sure if these guys are on the import list, or have ever been. Can anybody throw any light?

Cheers

Colleen

Edited by: oo fish styx oo at: 11/5/03 6:51 pm

#2 John West

John West
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2003 - 02:59 AM

Very nice pics, what a great photographer....lol

#3 oo fish styx oo

oo fish styx oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2003 - 03:14 AM

Yeah, not a bad photographer - but fussy!!!! You should have seen the ones he rejected! :lol

#4 Guest_sajica_*

Guest_sajica_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2003 - 03:57 AM

Those are nice looking guys collen but they aren't you're average flamebacks
www.gcca.net/fom/ Xystichromis_phytophagus.htm

try this instead, well that's what my eyes are seeing maybe my glasses need a clean.

BTW I haven't been to meetings lately due to tafe commitments (grumble) On tuesday nights i have tafe till 9pm. Thought i'd let you know before you think i've abandoned the PCS, not to mention piles of assignments

#5 oo fish styx oo

oo fish styx oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2003 - 04:43 AM

Thanks Chris

We do miss you.

I couldn't look at the picture you posted, the link didn't work, but I still believe this may be a "python island" Have a look at the pictures at this site:

users.kent.net/~lisab/Flamebac.html

at the one from Python Island, to my eyes, he's a dead ringer.

Cheers

Colleen

#6 Guest_sajica_*

Guest_sajica_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2003 - 01:56 AM

They do look like a positive match
www.cichlidae.com/article...108-01.jpg

but so does this guy, well similar enough
pub80.ezboard.com/fthesyd...forumsfrm3

The same fish is the little guy in the top left. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. Next time you're at the LFS there's a relatively new book out on Lake Victorian Species, maybe check it out if they have it :)

#7 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2003 - 08:51 AM

If they arent to aggresive i wouldnt mind some fry..

But would help if you could work out what they are :)

#8 oo fish styx oo

oo fish styx oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2003 - 03:00 PM

Chris,

I couldn't open the first link, and the second one gets me to one of the forums at sydney forum, but not the topic.... sorry

Colleen

#9 saudukar

saudukar
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2003 - 05:00 PM

Sorry for my 2c I think I kept these fish about 7 years ago.

Back then the fish on the page posted As P. Nyeri "python island" looks more like the old
Hap. zebra obliquidens which from my understanding got reclassified under X. phytophagus.

Classification of these species is always under review.
But if your fish looks exactly like that posted as H. Nyeri "python island" that is a dead ringer for Hap. zebra obliquidens that was being sold in bulk in Perth around 6 years ago.

Lovely fish. Breeds like rabbits. Males are nasty as they come.
Haplochromis, Astotilapia(?), Xytochromis(?) Pyndamila(?) are always hard to define. (?=spelling).
Geeze im lazy I should look up the spelling.

#10 oo fish styx oo

oo fish styx oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2003 - 02:21 PM

Thanks Saudukar

I couldn't find any photos of Hap zebra "Obliquidens" on the web that look anything like my fish....

This is so confusing. He is an awesome looking fish, and yes, breeding like rabbits, but I don't want to be keeping the fry if I don't know what they are.

I think I can find out who the breeder was, maybe I'll see if I can give him a call and ask.

#11 me

me
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2003 - 05:24 PM

Colleen pedigree might be a person to ask, he is curently breeding a species similar to this one here and he may be able to help you out with some of there scientific name!

#12 oo fish styx oo

oo fish styx oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2003 - 01:48 AM

Thanks Blake - I'll keep that in mind

#13 chuckmeister

chuckmeister
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2003 - 10:04 AM

Hey Colleen, I was asking about these fish a number of years ago. The general concensus was that flameback is the generic name for these and if you've got the stock that have been going around Perth for a while thats all you can call them!. I've got some nice flamebacks but I dont think I could pull a location out of them. I'd like someone to prove me wrong though ? There was some new blood for sale on the forum recently. Maybe they can help!!

Charlie

#14 oo fish styx oo

oo fish styx oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2003 - 06:13 PM

Thanks Charlie, not a problem, I was only asking because the ones I have seem to have the really gold sides and the irridescent blue dorsal fin, which don't really seem to appear in the pictures of flamebacks I've seen.

Anyway, if thats what they are, then I'm quite happy - beautiful little fish, and breeding like rabb errrrr convicts

Cheers

Colleen

#15 saudukar

saudukar
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:12 AM

home.columbus.rr.com/baumancichlids/

www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/other/haplochromis_obliquidens.html
www.sydneycichlid.com/alatifasciata.htmlwww.victoriancichlids.de/latif.htm

Nature commits no errors; right and wrong are human categories. | Perth Joondalup, WA | saudukar.owns.it

Edited by: saudukar  at: 11/11/03 4:14 pm

#16 oo fish styx oo

oo fish styx oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2003 - 01:56 PM

Thanks Saudukar

Definitely not an obliquidens, wrong shape and wrong stripe. I will have to get hold of the breeder I think, although the general consensus at Sydney forum is that they are a "Flameback".

Cheers

Colleen

#17 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2003 - 04:31 AM

Those are very intersting fish. If you have some fry i wouldnt mind a male tongue.gif PM me if you have a fry you would like to let go for an agreeable cost smile.gif

#18 oo fish styx oo

oo fish styx oo
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2003 - 06:48 AM

Hlokk

I have a spare adult male if you're interested.

Email me cjbsATkisser.net.au

Cheers

Colleen

#19 reesy1

reesy1
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2004 - 07:38 PM

I have these fish at the moment and they are breeding like rabbits , the males aren't that aggressive (bark worse than bite):lol i have mine with peacocks which are also breeding. I have heaps of fry at the moment so will post pics of them soon. Good easy fish IMO

PS i purchased mine as nyeri flameback but have done alot of research since and hard to tell. You find that colours vary greatly depending on food, mood and water and no two are identical.

#20 wysiwyg

wysiwyg
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 January 2004 - 11:40 PM

Hi Colleen,
Just looking at your pics. I used to breed a lot of Victorians. The fish is definately H. nyerei or "flameback". As to the locality name I wouldn't know (and good luck trying to find out). It is not Xystochromis phytophagus (nee Haplochromis brownae) or Astatotilapia obliquidens. I just sold the boys at Fish 'n' Stuff a batch of really good quality "flamebacks" if you wanted to run new blood through your group. Nice photos BTW.

regards wys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users