Photo

Id On This Cichlid ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Danyonn

Danyonn
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:17 PM

Got this little fella today shows some nice colouring just not to sure what he is as he came outta a mixed tank thanks guys :) 425e619d27e257846f9c70b8873ab39d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 dori

dori
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:41 PM

my guess a tropheus, if  it is one i believe they are best kept in schools 

Edited by dori, 23 April 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#3 Danyonn

Danyonn
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:11 PM

Thanks deffs have to get some mates for him then :)

#4 Spiesie

Spiesie
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

my guess a tropheus, if  it is one i believe they are best kept in schools 

Hi Dori, I believe it is rather a Peacock cichlid. I think the angle of the photo can be a bit tricky in seeing the full body shape.

I looks like a Aulonocara stuartgranti (Usisya) or maybe even Aulonocara steveni Hongi Island Tanzania? But this would just be a guess as I am not too familiar with all the different Peacocks and there are so many hybrids around as well which is not helping.

Where did you source this cichlid from?

Cheers,

Spiesie

Edited by Spiesie, 23 April 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:01 PM

100% not a Tropheus. Not even close.

Looks to be a Peacock of some description. I would never be confident in 100% identifying a Peacock that has come from a 'mixed' tank. It's head/mouth looks a little strange also.

#6 Danyonn

Danyonn
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:16 PM

Hi Dori, I believe it is rather a Peacock cichlid. I think the angle of the photo can be a bit tricky in seeing the full body shape.

I looks like a Aulonocara stuartgranti (Usisya) or maybe even Aulonocara steveni Hongi Island Tanzania? But this would just be a guess as I am not too familiar with all the different Peacocks and there are so many hybrids around as well which is not helping.

Where did you source this cichlid from?

Cheers,
Spiesie

Hi there I got him/her from midland pet and aquarium :)

#7 Spiesie

Spiesie
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

Usually a store would have some label on the tank if they can identify a fish. Otherwise it would just be in a tank "Mixed Malawi's" or something as was the case with this one.

Fish which are in a "Mixed Malawi's" tank, usually means that the store was unable to 100% identify the fish, either by the fish's appearance or the source they got it from.

Peckoltia is correct when he says that you can never be certain when it comes from a mixed tank.

I think some good care of the fish would make it a very nice display fish. Only display :)

Cheers.

Spiesie

#8 Danyonn

Danyonn
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:18 PM

Usually a store would have some label on the tank if they can identify a fish. Otherwise it would just be in a tank "Mixed Malawi's" or something as was the case with this one.
Fish which are in a "Mixed Malawi's" tank, usually means that the store was unable to 100% identify the fish, either by the fish's appearance or the source they got it from.

Peckoltia is correct when he says that you can never be certain when it comes from a mixed tank.

I think some good care of the fish would make it a very nice display fish. Only display :)

Cheers.
Spiesie

Thanks helps heaps :)

#9 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:57 PM

Tropheus lol, it's a peacock looks to be a jacobfreibergi variant of sorts but as stated above you will never be certain of the location being mixed up. Lesson to everyone don't mix peacocks, keep them pure

Edited by sandgroper, 23 April 2015 - 10:39 PM.

#10 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:08 PM

You are all wrong. That is obviously an  atractosteus spatula- alligator gar. Either that or Kleinz has been at the shrooms  :rolleyes: .

#11 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:53 PM

You are all wrong. That is obviously an  atractosteus spatula- alligator gar. Either that or Kleinz has been at the shrooms :rolleyes: .

<br />Looks to me like a rare freshwater mahi mahi <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone usin

#12 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:41 PM

Anything  is possible, i saw a pig fly by the other day chasing a hoon.

#13 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

I saw alligator gars two days ago
Cool looking fish

#14 goldenswimmers

goldenswimmers
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

Im not saying this is what it is...but...it kind of looks like a midget rostratus with some peacock colouration...so imagine a runt rostratus :huh:  found a low self esteemed peacock :unsure: had a few brewskis  :cheers: and a lovechild was created looking like this peacock thingy majiggy B) ....yeah these hybrid peacock "no idea of background" fish aren't cool...ok for a display fish but that's where it ends...

#15 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:08 AM

I still think it's a ngara flametails the orange body and white strip on top fin point me straight to them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users