Photo

Mullet/bream

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 James Case

James Case
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:16 PM

hey all just wondering if i went up midland way and caught a bream or a mullet or something could i bring the little fella home n chuck him in my tank? if hes small enough obviously haha what would i feed a mullet tho? bread soacked in tuna oil? tongue.gif oh yeah are there any other species of fish like that? up that way?

#2 joey

joey
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:40 PM

i heard that its hard to keep fish from wa waters because of the temperature.
You have to simulate the water temp of wa otherwise your mullet will die, or your other fish will depending tongue.gif
As for feeding it, im pretty sure they eat detritus, which consists of decaying organic material.

my two cents
joe

#3 BIG-PETE

BIG-PETE
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

a small bream would be under size thus illegal to keep
if you want bream go to golden ponds and buy some they are cheap

#4 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

I have looked into doing this with bream from a fresh water system like Moore River (I think even midland/guilford will still be quite brackish/salty).

However, I decided not to...following reasons:

1) Being in possession of a bream under 25cm is illegal.
2) Fish from the wild will often introduce a whole range of diseases that your other tank mates wont have any immunity to.
3) Fish caught in the wild usually struggle struggle to adapt to tank life, may not eat anything and tend to hide constantly.
4) There's a big difference from natural water ways and tap water which wild caught fish may not adapt to.
5) I just don't like the idea of keeping a wild born animal in a little tank in my lounge room.

If you're still keen, I'd go to Golden ponds where their bream are hatchery bread. They're born in captivity, used to being looked at from side on, have eaten pellets their whole life and don't know anything different.

Just my opinion.

Cheers.

Shane H.

#5 James Case

James Case
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

great i can buy them! that saves me hours of sitting on the bank of the swan trying to get one! im not very good at fishing smile.gif

#6 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:16 AM

being some one who fishes weekly, i would highly reccomend NOT to do this. as it has been saids its illegal, there is enough pressure on fish stocks comming from commercial and rec sectors (people not following limits , sizes) and nothing gets done. We dont need another factor contributing to the low stocks of our W.A water ways.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users