Metriaclima Estherae, Minos Reef

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hey guys,

Got a few Minos reef here which were purchase at the last 2 auctions. I've heard all sorts about the colouring of the males but as yet I'm yet to see any major colour change. From what I have discovered there are a few variants available. Red x red, red x blue, blue x blue. What I'm wondering is what variant are common here? It looks like I have 2m 3f but none of the Males are showing any blue colouring. Is the red x red strain more common? Does anyone have pics of any of the other variants? Also does anyone know who put the fish in the auction? I'd love to see the colony they came from smile.gif

Cheers
Rigs smile.gif

#2 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

red/blue is hard to come by, most of the ones i see are red/red.

#3 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

So the males are predominantly orange then Nicko?

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

If your fish are red-red or orange-orange now, don't expect them to change. As the males and females of the blue/orange varient are sexually dimorphic from a 1cm juvenile.

#5 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Of your after blue M and red F I may sell my colony soonish.

#6 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Riggermortis @ Apr 17 2012, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the males are predominantly orange then Nicko?

from what i have seen, nearly all of them

#7 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

Beauty thanks for the info guys, much appreciated smile.gif

#8 Guest_TrentV_*

Guest_TrentV_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

A bit of info I found as I've been searching for the Blue/Red variant as well, if anyone may know where I may be able to find some juvies would be much appreciated?

While this fish is found in a number of locales in Lake Malawi, it is principally collected from Minos Reef for the aquarium trade. The majority of the males at this location are a bright blue colour, with a hint of barring at times. There are also Orange/Red males at this location, though Ad Konings suggests this is only about 1% of the population. In addition to the Blue and Orange Males, there are OB males. Ad Konings has only ever seen one in all of his dives at Minos Reef, and suggests that this colour represents only about 0.1% of the natural population of estherae at Minos Reef. Ref - http://www.cichlid-f...et_estherae.php

Supposedly only 1% of the males from Minos reef are red.

As I'm new to Malawi's I purchased some 1 inch Minos Reef juvies expecting them to be the Blue/Red variant it's not until a few days after I realized the males should be already blue.
With only 1% of males Red from the Minos Reef collection point begs the question, is the red/red variant sold over here as Minos Reef really from Minos reef or from somewhere else in the lake?

#9 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Sorry guys, I was on my phone earlier.

I have a colony of true Metriaclima estherae Minos Reef. Males are dark blue when they are born females are orange.
As the males get older they turn a lighter blue with some barring at times as said above.

Mine breed constantly, but I don't get many fry from them as they are my hosts for my cuckoos.

I was thinking about selling the colony soon.
I do have fry from them, but I am growing them out at the moment. I'll try to get some photos up soon.

#10 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Nice one Az, thats great to know, I'll PM ya smile.gif

If not the Minos Reef Variant what are the Red/Red or Orange/Orange variant? I'd love to find out who bred these guys..... Questions questions lol smile.gif

#11 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

there are red zebras from pulu pt. also from what i have heard in the american hobby, the same might apply here... with the minos reef type ... because the red males were so rare they became highly sought after. the blue males became worthless and everyone wanted red males. eventually the blue males became like extinct in the hobby. something i read on the net, not sure if the same thing has happened over here?

#12 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

WOW the amount of PM's I just received is amazing LOL

I will answer them all here:

I wont be selling them just yet (Fry or Adults)

If people are genuinely interested, I will pull the adults away from the cuckoo's and start breeding them properly.
They breed all the time so it wont be long until they get to decent size. I have some that are about 2 weeks old so they will be ready in a couple of months.
I will not sell fry unless they are at least 2 to 2.5mths old so please don't ask.

#13 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (tranced @ Apr 17 2012, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there are red zebras from pulu pt. also from what i have heard in the american hobby, the same might apply here... with the minos reef type ... because the red males were so rare they became highly sought after. the blue males became worthless and everyone wanted red males. eventually the blue males became like extinct in the hobby. something i read on the net, not sure if the same thing has happened over here?

Yep, Thats exactly what happened here, the BLUE/RED variant were so common about 15yr ago, then the RED/RED variant came in and everyone wanted them and stopped breeding the B/R sad.gif
It took me until last year to finally find some B/R variety.
I got one male from NSW & 1 from QLD

This is a video I took the other night, you can see the B/R fry in the tank. These are the ones that are growing out

#14 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Hop to it Az.....we all want the blue / orange varient. biggrin.gif

#15 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

+1 on that Fitzy smile.gif

Nice one guys thanks for clearing that up, cheers for all the great info smile.gif

#16 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

QUOTE (bradfitzy @ Apr 17 2012, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hop to it Az.....we all want the blue / orange varient. biggrin.gif

LOL I'll move them to another tank this weekend and get them started wink.gif

#17 Guest_TrentV_*

Guest_TrentV_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

Be keen to see some pics of the colony once you separate them.

Cheers.

#18 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Yea I'll try to get some spare time this weekend. Ive been working heaps lately, no time to do anything sad.gif
But the money is good biggrin.gif

#19 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Got this today when I moved them from the IBC to a tank, They are a bit shy from being in the IBC but will come around in the next few days.
There is also a Blueberry in the tank.. Not part of the colony wink.gif

I will start breeding them away from the Cuckoo's so I can get some fry happening for you all.

#20 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

Nice one, good on ya Az smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users