Marble Peacocks:- Hybrids

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:35 PM

Up Date biggrin.gif

Lost 4 fry so far using air stone and feading Micro Worms now the egg sack is gone biggrin.gif

Anything else i should do?
Regards cobby

#2 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:13 PM

Cobby congradulations on the bredding success.

I'm not sure if you are aware as Ive also noticed no one has mentioned on this thread (sorry if I'm stating the obvious to you or anyone else) but to my understanding all marbled peacocks are hybrids, usually crossed with BB or OB Maylandia(blotched Zebras) so its no wonder some fry came out too deformed to survive. Those fry may likely turn out to look nothing like the parents, thats if they manage to grow up at all as they are likely to carry alot of genetical defects.

Also being hybrids not sure if they will be able to be entered into the BAP, in fact I think technically your not even allowed to make hybrid posts. If you do get them into the BAP it may inspire me to breed and enter flowerhorn!

#3 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:31 PM

Den biggrin.gif

Idid not relise that Mate i got these from a commite member biggrin.gif

Thaught they were legit 8O

thanks for pointing that out biggrin.gif

Maybe some body can clear this up?

i have no probs with it but if they are Hybrids then i wont be entering them in to the Bap biggrin.gif

Just a learning curve for me mate if they are Hybrids i would have no prob with the commite deliting this post/conversation

As i said before i am just starting out and any advice is more than welcome GOOD OR BAD biggrin.gif

Regards Cobby

#4 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:17 AM

Hi Mate

Personally I think it should be open discussion on Hybrids, if this thread gets deleted it will just lead to more people not knowing whats going on.

Its no wonder you and many members are not aware of these fish being hybrid, it does not help when most cichlid clubs around the world take an ignorant approach towards hybrids and dyed fish by banning discussion on them. How are people supposed to learn what to avoid?

If you look closely at your fish although they have nice colours they have deformed squat shaped bodies(especially your female) when compared to average peacocks. Many people focus on colour and dont notice the head and body shapes that are in many cases deformed in hybrids and old inbred genetic lines, many hybrids are sterile and even if you manage to breed them ugly deformed offspring are usually the result, these are just some of the negatives of keeping hybrids and if discussion was allowed people would know how and why they should avoid them.

Cheers
Den

#5 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:54 AM

Thanks For The info Den biggrin.gif

MMM not sure what to do now Anybody want some free Marble Peacocks 8O

Cheres Neil

#6 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:06 AM

They are still nice fish and theres nothing wrong with keeping or breeding them(IMO) as long as you are aware of what they are and that you tell anyone you pass them on to what they are.

The young will make nice feeders, look at the bright side if they are fed of to a nice fish they get to become part of the nice fish. biggrin.gif

#7 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

Na Mate couldn't feed them the missus would throttle me 8O

would rather grow them up and give them away

Just as nice as some Goldfish i suppose biggrin.gif

Regards Neil

#8 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:55 PM

:roll:

#9 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:23 PM

Hey Guys biggrin.gif

Not sure myself on this i assumed they were just a colour variant?

Craig

#10 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:25 PM

Thanks Craig biggrin.gif

Hoping to get this cleard up soon :cry:

Regards Cobby

#11 Scat

Scat
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:26 PM

Would like to see some more discussion on this myself as its seems i need more educating on identifying hybrids myself 8O

Craig

#12 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

Open discussion on Hybrids is always welcome and a great way to educate people. The problem with a number of people who post allow the topic to degrade into an argument and start insulting each other which causes the topic to be locked or deleted.
Marble Peacocks are regarded as Hybrids as THe OB gene is not found naturally in the Alunocara sp. It is believed as Den has stated that they were bred with OB zebras to introduce the OB pattern. They are therefore not allowed to be sold on the classifieds as part of the PCS T&C and cannot be entered into the BAP or breeding comp. As with all fish it is up to the individual if they want to keep and breed any fish. There are plenty of stunning natural Peacocks around which would be far better to breed IMO.

Tony biggrin.gif

#13 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Tony biggrin.gif

All is crystal clear now Mate biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Did not want this to turn into a bum fight biggrin.gif

It was just ignorance on my Part :cry:

All good now biggrin.gif

Regards Cobby

#14 cichlidnut

cichlidnut
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:59 PM

I agree with den and fish antics and hope i don't sound silly but aren't most discus which are cichlids, actually hybrid's now and we don't mention that fact yet they are not looked at as a hybrid :? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif.

P.S I'm just curious. biggrin.gif

And good on ya with the fry and I'm sure most LFS would give you some credit for them. biggrin.gif

#15 jack

jack
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:04 PM

good point there cichlid nut biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#16 Fish Antics

Fish Antics

Treasurer / Life Member

• Admin

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

Discuss are not Hybrids, but rather line bred. Discuss are one species they just have different colour variations which can be further enhanced by breeding with other variations, not saying this is a good thing, just different to Hybrids. It is the same with Angels. Hybrids are when two seperate species are bred to create a cross such as Flowerhorns or blood red parrots.

Tony

#17 cichlidnut

cichlidnut
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:23 PM

I'm just wondering the marble or ob peacock doesnt it come from the aulonocara family and then crossed with another aulonocara? If so that would that be the same as discus? :? biggrin.gif

#18 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:24 PM

Sorry Tony I'd disagree with you on that.

There are a handful of Symphysodon species, that naturally occur in the wild. Greens, Blue Heckels, browns for example.

Sure Jack Wattley Line bred the aquefasciatus from Lake Tefe' into what we now know as "Green Turquoise" But these have been bred with blues and browns and back to greens, over so many generations to add colour and increase the genetics and to create new "varieties"

Don't forget, you can hybridise within species too with many of your peacocks, different jacobfreibergi or stuartgranti variants for example

#19 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2007 - 10:40 PM

Lol Cichlid nut! Cichlid Societies are selective when it comes to what hybrids are acceptable, hybrids that seem to cop a blind eye are Discus and most Angel fish varieties. Some claim they are acceptable because they are line bred which is partly true but most have been crossed/Hybridised somewhere down the line. laugh.gif

#20 keenas

keenas
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:42 AM

I would agree with Tony on this. Arent Marble Peacocks bred with OB/BB Zebras, that is why they have a different body shape to a normal peacock ie Length to width of a peacock is say about 50% whereas marbles is say 75%(numbers exagerated)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users