Photo

Cichlid Food

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 kylie85

kylie85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hey guys I want to add a bit more variety into my cichlids diet, what other food besides frozen food and pellets are good for them?

Thanks Kylie

#2 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

Mine get nori on the rare occasion.

What pellet and frozen foods are u using at the moment?

#3 kylie85

kylie85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

i feed them new life spectrum pellets, and i was feeding them frozen shrimp but im all of that now so will have to wait till i drive to perth to get more

i found the list of the fish names that kev gave me from malaga that he thinks i have in my tank

red Empress

Venustus

Moorii

Peacock /jacobfreibergi or /and benga

#4 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Spectrum (NLS) is a good staple diet. Adding a vege flake or pellet into the mix will be good for your Africans. HBH 8 Vegg and Sera Flora are both popular. There's also a new product I've seen locally (Vebas) called Ocean Nutrition who do a cichlid veggie flake/pellet, I plan on trying out the pellet soon. http://www.oceannutr...id-vegi-pellets

For frozen food Posaqua have some vege products (Pure Vegie and Complete Cichlid) here - http://www.posaqua.c...u/products.html

Daz

#5 kylie85

kylie85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

cool thanks for that daz, i will have a look. what about just normal veg? someone i know feeds their cichlid green frozen peas??

#6 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

Yep peas are well known to be a good laxative since their high in fibre.

Not sure if there are any veggies that should be avoided though, hopefully someone else can pipe in smile.gif

Good practice to give them a good rinse in case of pesticides etc.

#7 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

Algae waffers (hbh) and zuchini in a vegi clip, allows the fish to graze on them. cheers Steve

#8 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Never use outer leaves of veggies (due to insecticides) or get some veggies from a hippie organic mob.... no probs then...

#9 mattrox

mattrox
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

And when New Era Rift Lake Red is available, use that. The soft pellet is awesome and fish go crazy for it!

#10 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

My malawi haps get hikari massivore/carnivore aswell as some frozen foods (whitebait, fish fillets).

#11 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (mattrox @ Feb 2 2012, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And when New Era Rift Lake Red is available, use that. The soft pellet is awesome and fish go crazy for it!

laugh.gif Mine are like piranha's, they go crazy over anything ( flies ,moths, fingers you name it ) chomp, chomp

#12 mattrox

mattrox
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:14 AM

Wait till you feed New Era..... The fish go to a new level of frenzy.

#13 kylie85

kylie85
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (mattrox @ Feb 3 2012, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait till you feed New Era..... The fish go to a new level of frenzy.

When and where can't I get some??

#14 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

Riverreef aquariums in Port Kennedy are currently in the process of trying to source it

#15 sue

sue
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

MAttrox - are the New Rift Lake Red pellets mainly carnivorous fish or can other fish eat it too?

#16 Furnix

Furnix
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

My Peacocks get HBH veggie flakes, shrimp pellets, dried blood worms, a cheap-o fish flake (to bulk it up a bit) and have recently added spectrum pellets and the alpha male has exploded in colour! On the odd occasion they get a chunk of zucchini (which the BN like more)

#17 mattrox

mattrox
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

sue, The rift lake red is designed for Carnivorous fish, haps, peacocks, front, neolamps etc.Rift lake green is designed for herbivores. My mbuna smash that too. It is really a professional quality food. I'd be interested in other people's impressions. It hits the shops this week apparently.

#18 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

Has anyone tried Sera Granured or Sera Granugreen? I want to add more variety in the diet of my tangs, and saw these foods at a sponsor store today. I currently feed my tangs NLS Thera A and Hikari Sinking Cichlid Excel every day, and a couple of blocks of frozen bloodworm once a week. Anyone used these foods? Is it worth me getting these to mix up the foods?

#19 garlic shrimp

garlic shrimp
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

i like nls and sera flora,cheers

#20 waruna

waruna

New Life Spectrum

• Sponsor

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hi Mattrox, are you a sales person or have a vested interest in New Era? biggrin.gif

Since you seem to know quite a bit about this food, i have a few questions if i may..?

1. Why does New Era have such a high Ash content? On almost every single formula the Ash content is at 20%, this is the highest i have ever seen. A reason for this would be the low starch/carb inclusion rate, the rest i assume comes from left over fish/shrimp ingredients. When one uses ingredients such as fish meal that comes from processing plant waste which is a common practice in fish feeds the end product usually has a very high Ash content, mainly due to the heads, bones and scales. If this is not the case with New Era can you please explain to me the reason what it could be?

2. With a water/moisture percentage of 19% in particularly the red formula what synthetic preservatives does New Era use? New Era does not list any preservatives on their labeling, maybe you could explain how this is possible?

New Era also claims to process their food with this " Revolutionary Cold pressed process". Aus government (AQIS) has specific processing/manufacturing temperature requirements for all imported dry fish foods in to our country. Either that or the food will be Gamma radiated (yes fish feeds are allowed to be gamma radiated in AUS, but not Dog and Cat foods), there are no exceptions. I have been importing for 7 years now and the regulation requirements are getting more strict by the year!!

Don't be fooled folks, ask questions, specially if they would put their money where their mouth is... If you buy something (anything for that matter) for your aquarium almost everything comes with a warranty or a guarantee, so why shouldn't a fish food be any different?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users