Photo

Geophagus Agryrostictus

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

Ronny wasn't upset with anything you said. I asked you because I value your experience and knowledge in the area.
To say this fish isn't rare is a little undercooked IMO. But I'm entitled to that.

#42 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:25 AM

Got some new LED lights today. 

#43 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

If you can find some UpAqua ZR LEDs they really help to show the true colours.

Also, if you can get the PH down a bit more, you might find some of the reds become more intense. Even on the leucosticta.

I used Amano ADA soil to get my PH down to about 6.5 others have used the Fluval Stratum.

If you look at most leucosticta and then look at the ones Den put up, you'll see what I mean ;)

Edited by Ronny, 30 June 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#44 waxy

waxy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

And waxy, I hope you don't think I as a forum user disregard knowledge or conversation with aquarists of two to five years.
I simply stated the difference between a long time and a short time in relation to actually seeing the cycle of popularity work.
I have learnt much from aquarists in it for a lot less time than myself.

To be honest it did seem like that is what you were implying when I first read your post. Or was it a way of telling people on here (that dont already know) who long youve been in the game. But Ive read it since and maybe I jumped the gun a bit. I for one like reading your posts Buccal as it certainly sounds like you know what your talking about and thats how we all learn more about the hobby. Please do not hold back from posting because the next progression from that would be to not bother posting at all. We have had enough experienced aquarists leave this site already because they are sick of this stuff.

I also think a brief google search can give a pretty good idea of whats available in recent times and is the best tool we have available.

From memory Den was the person to ask anything geo related and what a shame it is he is not here anymore.

What sized spawns do these particular geos have?

#45 knock

knock
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

What sized spawns do these particular geos have?

thats a good question, as once they start breeding they could quickly become 'common' or 'not rare'.   for a while. anyway   :)

Edited by knock, 30 June 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#46 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

Im very aware of how I come across sometimes, it takes to long to soften up and re-edit the info on quick replies.
Sorry to any I have roughed up and in future.
Sharing and teaching info also strengthens knowledge for the sharer, teacher.

Yep, the Arg, which I have never kept, will spawn just like any other geo for numbers.
Like many geo, they all lay eggs on a flat surface and male fertilizers then they are fanned and guarded till hatched.
Many little pits will be dug around the spawning area which the young will be moved about from pit to pit to lessen probabilities of predation.
Most other types of fish will move 1-3 fry at a time into pits,,,,, but Geos have same abilities as malawi mouth brooders in the sense of being able to hold all fry in mouth to move around or even as protection also.
From one type of geo to the next,,, some will use their holding capabilities more than others.

I to saw a few Arg in city farmers at one stage, with the number of fry, some breeders enevatably sell to Bayfish which will make it into city farmers.
City farmers, currumbine and joondalup have fish managers that know the breeders with rare stuff, and are full bottle, so never be surprised at what you see in those shops.
It could be that the Arg is on the cusp of coming out of being rare for now with numbers as said showing up east, and can almost be overnight.
When Bowdy first got these, they were indeed rare.
Like a lot of Americans, Texas, geo, jaguar and so on,,,, lol, one pair can supply offspring to fill the market in Oz. (and it happens over night).

#47 DavidK

DavidK
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Great looking fish and best of luck with the breeding :)

#48 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

I have seen quite a few Geophagus Surinamensis but not many ethers, I'd love to get some Geophagus Tapajos.

Cheers

#49 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Sounds like geos are making a comeback :)

#50 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Yay. I'll let them know.. I'm sure they will be stoked to have such an affect on people.

#51 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

Most fish appear rare here because there isn't enough demand to get them in.
And it isn't worth importing them in the numbers required to make it worthwhile because you can't get rid of them.

Perth rarity is due to Perth tightasses IMO

#52 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

Haha. I'd pay the price! But unfortunately the fish I would fork out big money for are no longer aloud!! :(

#53 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Most fish appear rare here because there isn't enough demand to get them in.
And it isn't worth importing them in the numbers required to make it worthwhile because you can't get rid of them.
Perth rarity is due to Perth tightasses IMO

Perth abroad I strongly agree, the market for rare cichlids in Perth is just terrible, no one wants to pay extra dollars for rare stuff to make things new and exciting,,, we now have been stuck with a small portion of common bread and butter fish.
East people are like seagulls on chips scrambling on rare stuff, regardless the price.
Initial cost, time and effort is not understood here to support exciting scene changing in the cichlid world.
The popularity cycle ticks over here at a snails pace, while east rages.
It never was like it is now, years ago it was great guns here,
So all know,,, a rare 5cm cichlid first few batches for first time ever in the state would fetch $80 each shop price,,, as it does now over east !!!!!! Shops beg for the rare stuff first over there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users