• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 perthcichlid

perthcichlid
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2002 - 06:59 PM

Ancistrus sp.

"Bristlenose catfish "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:

South America (exact location depends on species)

Water conditions:

Temp : 23 - 27 degrees celcius

pH : 6.0 - 8.0

Size:

up to 12 cm

Sex differences:

Males develop extensive bristles on the head when mature. Females have none, or much fewer bristles, and are generally broader behind the pectoral fins.

Top view of tank

Side view of tank

'Peppermint' Ancistrus sp.

Common bristlenose baby

Comments:

The bristlenose catfish commonly available in Australia has been captive bred for years. Most of the specimens you will see in stores are locally bred, as it is an easy and productive fish to breed once mature.

There are two species available in Oz, the 'common' bristlenose catfish and the 'peppermint' bristlenose catfish. They can be distinguished by the peppermint's having a black body colour with white markings, while the common have brownish colours, depending on mood. They can also be told apart by the peppermint's high price!

Following is a description of a bristlenose catfish breeding tank that I have set up for my pair.

Size - 91.5cm long x 35.5 wide x 46cm high
Volume - 150 litres
Filtration - Eheim 2215 Classic filled with bioball media
- Project PJP 101 Internal Power Filter
Heater - Hagen Tronic 300W
Lighting - 30W 10 000K Phillips Aquarelle

Inhabitants - 1 mating pair of Bristle Nose Catfish
- 7 White Cloud Mountain Minnows

Plants - Java Fern
- Bolbitis Fern
- Anubias
- Java Moss
- Riccia
- Duckweed

This tank was a spare tank of mine which up until now was being stored in the back shed. A friend of mine (Vincent Chye), convinced me to set it back up as an outside planted tank. It stayed like this for about 2 months before I decided to take out most of the plants and convert it into a bristlenose catfish breeding tank. After a bit of reading and talking to a few friends I realised that strong current was the best way to setup this tank. I postitioned the spraybard of the Eheim about 1/2 way down the tank and pointing slightly down. I also added underneath this an internal powerfilter to aid with the current. I placed a large peice of knarled bogwood with lots of holes and caves in it fairly close to the outlets as I have read that the most likely breeding caves for bristlenose are those nearest to strong current. Attached to the bogwood in the tank are various low light hardy plants that would be found in this kind of fast flowing environment.

Since I already had a large male Vincent supplied me with a mature female and they are both in the tank hopefully ready to breed. The male has already taken up residence in a cave in front of the bogwood where the strongest current is and I have seen the femle in there and being chased around and interacting with the male.

Potential breeding behaviour in this species of bristlenose involves the male taking possession of a suitable cave and, when ready, extensive 'wagging' of the paired fins to the female in front of the cave. The eggs are guarded by the male in the cave, who drives away the female after spawning.

Though not critical in the common species of bristlenose, most ancistrus and other loricariids prefer strong current, a suitable spawning receptacle (depending on species may be a cave, flat rock, etc), and suitable types and amounts of foods before they will spawn. The ancistrus species available in Australia are omnivorous, and will feed on anything that reaches the bottom like live foods, pellets, and other prepared foods. They are good algae eaters, but will not harm plants.

Article by Jon Hammond

Edited by: perthcichlid at: 5/30/02 11:03:19 am

#2 perthcichlid

perthcichlid
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2002 - 06:23 AM

Heres a pic of a large male. The hand in the picture is that of a well known cichlid society personality:P lol Try to guess who it is:P

Perth Cichlid Society Forums
http://pub79.ezboard...hcichlidsociety

#3 ectodus

ectodus
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 June 2002 - 11:36 PM

Wow I didn't realise that peppermint catfish got so big!!!

I had this idea that they where smaller than normal bristlenose:)

The Perth Cichlid Society

#4 perthcichlid

perthcichlid
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 June 2002 - 12:17 AM

Yeah i was shocked at its size also. Its the biggest one i've ever seen. Its actually bigger than the biggest bristlenose normal cat i've seen:P

Perth Cichlid Society Forums
http://pub79.ezboard...hcichlidsociety

#5 OgTimGr

OgTimGr
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2002 - 03:22 PM

That is an amazing peppermint ancistrus. Do peppermint ancistrus breed as readily as the more common variety?

How would peppermint's fare in a Tanganyikan tank?

I only ask as I am about to stock an empty 4x2x2.5 and would like to purchase some catfish and africans and have always wanted to try ancistrus.

If peppermints will be ok I would love to hear from someone who could put me onto some at a reasonable cost.

thanks, Tim

#6 DoCcMarTin

DoCcMarTin
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2002 - 04:08 PM

Hey Everyone

Nice Forum Man...

Sweet peppermint bristlenose pic I have to say, bristlenose catfish are stil one of my fav cats, I also like the Synodontis family....

#7 Terry

Terry

Life Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 22 June 2002 - 05:55 AM

Thats a nice fish Vincent, whose is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users