Ground Covering.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:46 PM

Hi folks!

For the more experienced members here, what do you suggest would be good for covering the substrate (plant wise)? I am after something very short and covers the substrate quickly. Lighting is LO T5, and substrate is laterite mixed with natural river gravel.

I am very bad with plant names, so if you have pics that'll be great!! biggrin.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#2 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:54 PM

for a short carpet, try HC (Hemianthus callitrichoides)
or a bit taller try glosso or hair grass

do a google form some pics.

#3 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:02 PM

Thanks Jezza. smile.gif

By the way, where can I get HC? Do they require strong lighting? My tank will have Discus and i'm using Lo Output T5, so any brighter lighting will make my "future" Discus unhappy...

Cheers!
Kevin

P.S: Az, if you're reading this, are you able to get some in for me? biggrin.gif

#4 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

Seaview's got HC, and I believe AAA as well

And so do I tongue.gif

It needs medium to strong light to grow... and CO2 for it to really flourish

#5 Jezza

Jezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

if you want some good info on planted tanks, join aquariumlife.com.au
there is heaps of perth people on there too, so its easy to get plant cuttings etc...

jeremy

#6 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:05 PM

I'm on aquariumlife already... but havent posted.. biggrin.gif

If HC needs strong lighting, which cover plant will be suitable for LO T5?

Cheers again.

#7 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:28 PM

Why don't you try Chain swords......they are extremely hardy and go great under T5's. Have another look at my planted tank pic and that is what I have as a foreground plant.
Best beginner foreground plant and very under-rated

#8 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:30 PM

Hi Krissy,

Where can you get them in great enough numbers. Everytime I go into my LFS they are never there......is there a good time of year for them?

Regards,

Donna

#9 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for that Krystal. Do chain swords send out runners etc..? Also, how much are they? I need to cover 5ft of substrate... biggrin.gif

Cheers! smile.gif
Kevin

#10 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

Donna,
Aquotix can get them just about any time you need (give us a call first so we can let you know how many we can get hold of).............They usually sell quite fast in the shop, give us a heads up and we can put some aside for you.
I'm on holidays so best call the shop and they can help you out.

Kevin,
Yes chain swords send out runners.........dont worry about buying heaps to start with, as with all planted tanks it takes time to fill in.
I will pm you

#11 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:16 PM

I'll suggest something else while I'm at it.....

Crypts are quite good for foregrounds along with Lilaeopsis smile.gif

Kev.. Chain Swords will grow fine and happily under a T5LO

#12 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

Well, because Krystal has helped me heaps on this topic I'll come and grab some chainswords off her, to go with the Laterite that Jack sold me, to go with the T5 that Chris B. sold me.. LOL! biggrin.gif

All I need to do now is to buy a school of rummynose tetras off Oliver and i've pretty much bought off most Aquotix staff..... tongue.gif

#13 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Nov 23 2008, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, because Krystal has helped me heaps on this topic I'll come and grab some chainswords off her, to go with the Laterite that Jack sold me, to go with the T5 that Chris B. sold me.. LOL! biggrin.gif

All I need to do now is to buy a school of rummynose tetras off Oliver and i've pretty much bought off most Aquotix staff..... tongue.gif

Ollie did you read that? tongue.gif

Glad to know you love the shop tongue.gif

#14 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

No probs! tongue.gif

My favourite LFS are: Midland, Aquotix and Aquarium City... wink.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

#15 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:39 PM

I have just bought a pile of Lilaeopsis Braziliensis for my Amazon style tank. It is looking good. I have lined the river rocks with it. I could still do with some chain sword at the front though. I am getting impatient waiting for the LB to fill in. (its been all of a week)

I saw your photo Krissy with the chains in the front. Looks awesome. My dwarf acaras would love that smile.gif

Regards,

Donna

#16 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the comments Donna... Lilaeopsis look nice when its filled in, but i find the chain swords much hardier.....i like the broader leaf as well.

golden_dase has nearly cleaned us out but if you would like some just pm me and ill see what i can do for you.

#17 Donna

Donna
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

Kevin and I are competing? smile.gif

Actually, speaking of that, I was considering working on a couple of entries for next year's AGA contest. The biotope category is not very well done and I reckon I can do better. Would be awesome if a group of us all aimed to enter next year's comp and see what we can come up with. It could be a real coupe for the PCS Forum Members if we did well.

Krissy, I will be on holidays soon and will PM you closer to the time. I think I have actually met you before in the shop, but unlike Kevin, I don't know everyone's names etc. My tank is only a metre long and I have the LB so I would probably only need around 7 chains.

Thanks for the replies,

Donna

Ha ha, just checked today's top twenty posters. Guess who the top two are....competing again biggrin.gif

Donna

#18 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

Yeah, whenever you are ready just let me know and ill try and help you out.
I have met sooo many people that I too am terrible with faces, name i can remember but faces get me everytime lol.

#19 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

You won't forget my face after seeing me! I'm the coolest Vietnamese "Bogan"!! LOL!!! tongue.gif

BTW Donna, if you really want some of the chain swords that Krystal has set aside for me, I can allocate some to you? smile.gif
Apparently, they grow fast so I can do with less, if it helps make your tank "greener"! wink.gif

Cheers!
Kevin

P.S: I dont compete with anyone and dont really take notice of how many posts I do.. I only post coz I want to say something, not for post count... tongue.gif

#20 Sazabi

Sazabi
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Nov 24 2008, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
P.S: I dont compete with anyone and dont really take notice of how many posts I do.. I only post coz I want to say something, not for post count... tongue.gif

*cough cough*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users