Worm Farm Or Bs Hatchery?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Hey all,

I have american cichlids, Plecos and Synodontis and am soon to set up a planted discus tank.

I was wondering if setting up a worm farm and a brine shrimp hatchery would benefit these fish or is it not worth it and better to stick to pellets? I just thought that the fish would like a bit of a change and since I have a breeding pair of jack dempseys it would be good for them to entice them to breed and also the brine shrimp would be good for the fry. Since discus need lots of good, nutritional foods I'd think that the worms and shrimp would be good for them as well.

I am open to opinions to whether it is beneficial to set up a worm farm and or brine shrimp hatchery for my fish or not.

Thankyou.

Edited by Redevilz, 17 March 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#2 Luke134

Luke134
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

From your post I'm guessing that you are thinking of doing this on a bigger than normal scale, so it would be worthwhile considering your project from an aquaculture point of view.

As far as fish nutrition, reliability, affordability, simplicity and practicality, using a high quality, pellet based food is the best thing you can do. Using a high quality processed food ensures that you have met the nutritional needs of your fish, and you are giving them everything they need and nothing that they don't. A downside to using live/fresh food is that you don't know exactly what is in the food as far as nutrients or things like potential parasites/pathogens etc. As a staple/everyday/maintenance food, a pellet is the best option.

The main reasons you would alter this approach is when;
A) the processed food does not come in an appropriate format, eg, a pellet is not suitable for young fry.
B ) altering the nutritional content/type of food will result in a desirable physiological change, eg upping the fat/protein content of a food to stimulate breeding behaviour.
C) as an intermediate food source for fussy/WC fish.
You will really only be worried about the first two. Considering the substantial time and effort that goes into setting up a live food production system, it's a good idea to consider any alternatives. For example, freeze dried black worms have about +60% protein, and are an excellent conditioning food for fussy fish, or to stimulate breeding activities. The numerous options of frozen food are great for this as well, and defiantly don't require as much effort.

Secondly, not all live foods are created equal. One thing that was drummed into me in my aquaculture systems lectures was that 'live foods aren't themselves the food, it's what inside them that's desirable'. A good example of this is with brine shrimp. Being rather simple organisms, they do not have the ability to manufacture complex biological molecules like we do, and so instead rely on other organisms that they filter out of the water to do it for them. This is a brine shrimps best asset, and what aquaculture facilities use them for. The quality of the brine shrimp will depend on the quality of the food that you feed them. Aquaculture facilities will feed their brine shrimp colonies a blend of single cellular algae that have been specifically harvested for their nutritional content. One of the most important factors is the level of Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (HUFA for short), this includes things like Omega 3s. These are often the limiting factors when it comes to fish health, development and growth rate. [As a side note, a couple of manufacturers, Continuum is an example, make a HUFA supplement. You can use this to soak flake and pellet food in to improve fish vitality etc.] at the other end of the spectrum, you can use yeast as a maintenance food for a brine shrimp colony that will keep it going, but the downside is that you have undermined the nutritional benefits of a live food and may as well have stuck with manufactured foods.

In short, are live foods completely necessary? Can you get away with using pre-made options like frozen or freeze dried? Is going through the hassle of rearing live foods going to result in a noticeable benefit to fish health, growth, development, etc? Can you ensure quality and consistency within and between batches of food? At the end of the day, it's up to you depending on how much time and effort you want to spend on this, and how many batches of fry etc you want to raise a month.

Edited by Luke134, 17 March 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#3 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

wow we need more answers like this well thought out and informative

#4 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

Great insight

#5 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Thank you for the fantastic, informing reply Luke, you have broadened by knowledge of live foods immensely!

Now I see the only reason why it would be important to raise live foods is when I have fry and they need a very small food which can be consumed by such a small fish (BBS). For the other fish I will just feed them frozen brine shrimp and frozen or live/frozen black worms purchased from a store because they contain the nutrition without the added work for me.

Cheers

#6 BristledOne

BristledOne
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

I have found frozen baby brine shrimp before in perth, but it was honestly overpriced for the amount in the pack

#7 47Ronin

47Ronin
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

I have found frozen baby brine shrimp before in perth, but it was honestly overpriced for the amount in the pack

Buying it by the tin (454g) is the only economical way.

#8 Adam

Adam
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

Only if you can hatch it out quickly enough to use it to maintain the hatch rate. Usually weeks.

Also if hatching BS use as soon after hatching so that the nutritional profile is the highest.

Depending on what you are feeding you can just decapsulate the cysts and feed with out hatching.

Decapsulating increases hatch rates as well and will give you a cleaner filter.

Adam

#9 Ronny

Ronny
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

You can hatch the shrimp and put them in the fridge to slow them down so they don't consume the yolk as fast. <br /><br /><br />

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users