Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

How Many Discus Can I Fit In My Tank, And What Are Good Tank Mates?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hi guys,

I want to set up a discus tank (of all things).

Tank is 4x1.5x2.

2x eheim 2215s running.

Was thinking of doing a medium-planted tank with only a small amount of wood and a few rocks. Nice and simple.

So, how many discus could I keep comfortably?

And what are good tank mates? I was thinking of a couple L-Numbers (L397 and/or L333) and maybe some cardinal tetras.

Cheers

Andrew

Oh, and maybe some Geos?

#2 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Not a discus expert AT ALL but I think you'd be able to keep 5-10 discus, depending on their size.

For Geo's the Tapajos would probably be the best however be careful, they do uproot your plants a bit.

Cheers

#3 deliriouz

deliriouz
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

You probably shouldnt have more than 6 full sized adults in there. I have kept them with l numbers, angels, rainbows, killifish, all kinds of tetras, and apistos in a similarly sized tank. Discus do look best with cardinals plus water conditions are a good match. They dont seem to hunt down fries like angels do but will eat them if a fry happens to float past them.

#4 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

For Geo's the Tapajos would probably be the best however be careful, they do uproot your plants a bit.
Cheers

Why would Tapajos be the best ? There are many geo's that would suit this set up.

Dwarf Americans are great to.

#5 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

Congratulations on realising how awesome Discus are! :goodjob:

Ok, number crunching time.

If 4x1.5x2 foot tank equals = 320L and you can have 1 fish per 12L. The total is 27 fish (normal sized fish).

Seeming Discus grow pretty large (small dinner plate). Halve that amount. Therefor approx. 12 fish.

You could easily overstock, Discus love being in large groups. However, it really depends on consistancy of doing lots of small water changes, 20% every day or two (when you have that many fish), your filters I think would be fine(1800L/hr) as they cycle the 5 times in one hour...

Also, you look at the price. If you can find them (quality) under $50 - $90 each, 12 fish will cost $500 - $900. Do you have that much spare cash?

Finally, after all that, you said nice and simple, I would say, do what is managable. Maybe 4-7 Discus, I have found though the less you have the shy-er they are (They hide at the back).

I would recommend the slightly larger, stronger companion fish. I seem to lose Neons all the time, so get Cardinals instead. Rummy noses are awesome too!

In my tank (280L) I have 8 Discus, 12 Rummy Nose Tetras, 4 Neons (from 12 left), 5 small Bristles.

Can't wait to see the setup!

Edited by MrLeifBeaver, 16 July 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#6 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

Go for discus and geo's! They do sift quite a bit but they are cool to watch. Mine are in a planted tank and they don't really dig stuff up. Occasionally you have to move a bit of sand back towards the plant stems is all.

A few interesting ones at City Barn and Pet Magic Bibra Lake at the moment. I have seen Tapajos, Rio Branco and Heckelii between them.

#7 shep

shep
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:52 AM

Strongly recommend rummynose in a Discus tank as they react quickly to deteriorating water conditions . (Red nose goes dull ) . Be careful when choosing your L numbers , discus eat a lot of carnivorous food which can cause problems with herbivore catfish when the eat a lot of it .

#8 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

Shep, does that mean you recommend avoiding L-Numbers or are there L-Numbers that are more tolerant to higher protein diets? If so, please advise :)

Thanks for all your help lads.

#9 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

All the hypancistrus eat meatier foods. L066. That sort of thing. I'm sure Johnno is the one to ask, really.

#10 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

I wish you could tag users.

#11 myster619

myster619
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

I'd say 4-5 discus. 

L-numbers and cardinals should be fine. 

#12 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

For that size tank I would say nothing more than 6 discus. Are you planning to get adults or juvies? 

for tank mates, cardinals, rummy nose and get a group of corys, they make a good clean up crew. 

#13 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

Juvies - I wanna watch them grow :)

Thanks for the recommendations.

Any recommendation on what L-Numbers? Corys don't really do it for me...

#14 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

I've never kept L numbers with Discus so I cannot comment on them. just my thoughts here but juvie discus need to be fed at least 3 - 4 times a day with a varied diet if you want them to grow well and fast. And lots of water changes is highly recommended during the grow out stage. 

#15 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Paging Bigjohnno...

#16 shep

shep
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

as klienz says . if you want L numbers there are some that eat higher protein carnivorous diets 066 , 333,are just a couple

I`m sure Johnno will help later on . he`s a bit of night person .

if you intend to try and breed your discus NO catties is a good option any eggs might disappear overnight.

#17 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:52 AM

yeah totally agree with the recommendation of L333's or L066's..... depending on your budget move up to L270 , L260 , L007 , L201 , L046..... these are ones that can be sourced locally or interstate....

wouldnt write off L397's either as they do prodominently eat wood/veg but i did have one escape into the 046 tank were it could only eat leftover brine shrimp and bloodworms that 046's were eating... it grew exceptionally quick and to date no ill effects...  other bonus is 397's are relatively cheap.... and you wont cry for more than a day or two if you lose one :)

#18 Angelo

Angelo
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

any progress on this setup?

#19 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

Yep. Updatezor!

#20 MrLeifBeaver

MrLeifBeaver