Photo

10G Gobies And Blue Eyes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ausfishes

Ausfishes
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

Hey everyone, I am interested in starting up a small native tank  :lol:  with 6(2M 4F) blue eyes(either P. gertrudae or P. cyanodorsalis) with a pair of gobies (either desert or finke gobies). The tank is being used to growout some goldfish fry from my pond at the moment but they are growing very slow in there (about 5 2-3cm fry) and I think I will put them in a large plastic box soon. When that tank is free I will get started on this setup. Any tips and tricks for keeping them nice and happy? I'm planning on dirting the tank and having it fairly heavily planted. Is 2M:4F a good M:F ratio for the blue eyes? Can I use the cycled sponge filter thats in the tank at the moment when I turn it into a native tank? All advice is welcome  :D

#2 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:19 PM

Sounds great maybe 2:6 m:f as they tend to harass when breeding, but the sponge will work fine to cycle the tank, and to keep them all happy (frozen blood worm cubes makes every fish happy!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But only once a week with the blood worms!

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:22 PM

Use a soft sandy substrate, better for the poor old gobies.
Not too sure about blue eyes hopefully someone thats experienced in keeping them can help with that one. Ive only kept a couple of them but the overwhelming feeling I had was that I probably should have had 6 or so to reduce the niggle. They are all pretty tough fish and can take some abuse but for me I preferred to do 50% weekly water changes. Gobies have short lives, usually between 1 - 2 years so I figure keep the tank clean as to ensure they stay healthy and live as long as possible.
I fed my Blue Eyes and Gobies Sera flake. Good quality and they ate it without bother.
Im not a fan of frozen blood worms... not much nutritional value in them. Live blood worms might be fun for the gobies to hunt though.

Hopefully you get some more advice on the blue eyes and other small natives though.

#4 shayne

shayne
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:30 PM

gobies love worms grindal,white worms,micro worms,blood worms all taken with great relish.daphnia [ hard to keep a culture going in the current heat ] mossie larvae easy easy and very welcome. I have stopped live bloodworms for the gobies, i attended a pcs lecture on live foods conducted by SYDAD  [ many thanks SYDAD wish we all had more time ] im pretty sure he expressed concerns about bloodworms chewing there way out of some fish i disregarded this but subsequently i think i have witnessed this. Was given 10 desert gobie fry [ thanks MM ]  lost one to suicide [climbed out and died on the table ] lost 2 more watched  1 in great distress with something trying to burst out of its chest; very much like alien, was late at night took a couple of bad phone pics and decided to isolate the fish in the morning, to late died overnight and the snails and small crayfish had destroyed most of the evidence. Had 4 in 1 tank 6 in another lost 1 in the other tank but didnt witness it, stopped the bloodworms and all seems fine. 6 or 7 weeks have gone by and all is good, have 2 little men bouncing all over the place looking for a mate. Does any one else have an opinion on the live bloodworms?  keen to hear 

#5 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:49 PM

gobies love worms grindal,white worms,micro worms,blood worms all taken with great relish.daphnia [ hard to keep a culture going in the current heat ] mossie larvae easy easy and very welcome. I have stopped live bloodworms for the gobies, i attended a pcs lecture on live foods conducted by SYDAD  [ many thanks SYDAD wish we all had more time ] im pretty sure he expressed concerns about bloodworms chewing there way out of some fish i disregarded this but subsequently i think i have witnessed this. Was given 10 desert gobie fry [ thanks MM ]  lost one to suicide [climbed out and died on the table ] lost 2 more watched  1 in great distress with something trying to burst out of its chest; very much like alien, was late at night took a couple of bad phone pics and decided to isolate the fish in the morning, to late died overnight and the snails and small crayfish had destroyed most of the evidence. Had 4 in 1 tank 6 in another lost 1 in the other tank but didnt witness it, stopped the bloodworms and all seems fine. 6 or 7 weeks have gone by and all is good, have 2 little men bouncing all over the place looking for a mate. Does any one else have an opinion on the live bloodworms?  keen to hear 

Yeah that why we feed frozen of anything feed meal worm babies (crush their head with tweezers tho, they do bite, but fry will tear it apart when the taste the goo inside!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users