• Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:26 PM

Albino Bristlenose get my vote

#22 shortie

shortie
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:46 PM

(benckie)
well if i could vote like i said befor ive changed my mind number 11 but i aint going to pay 25 to vote ill just wait cheers

what col is saying is that ANYONE is able to vote. you are only restricted from entering. not voting
cheers matt

#23 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:42 PM

I disagree with you Cawdor,

People should be able to vote which photo they like best for whatever reason they chose.

Reason being that not everyone has $2000+ camera and a PHD in photography, you would limit future entries, as amatures with reasonable average shots which is the majority of us wont bother in the future to compete with the few pros on here with top$ gear.

Cheers
Den

#24 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:49 PM

Sorry Den but i would have to agree with Cawdor

You can take a great snap of time on your phone 8O

Its a bit like art mate with a lot of luck thrown in 8O

Not to mention Patience

Regards Cobby

PS right place at the right time biggrin.gif

#25 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:56 PM

(Den)
Reason being that not everyone has $2000+ camera and a PHD in photography

A good photograph is not solely determined by the gear, in fact I have seen some great photos that were taken by point-and-shoot cameras. What made them stand out was how it was taken and the timing. Any camera can take a sharp photo, you don't need $$$ gear to do that.

Your argument can be applied to the point I was trying to make: Since you have to take a photo of your own fish, that would mean that people with "standard" fish have little chance of winning compared to people who have rare or otherwise colourful/exotic fish, if people vote based on just the subject alone.

That's why I wanted a reminder that as a photo competition, it should be the photo, not the subject, that is judged.

#26 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:17 PM

Hi Cawdor

My point was:

"People should be able to vote which photo they like best for whatever reason they choose" - which they will do anyway.

Never said anything about basing votes on the subject being photographed, so not sure where your comment is coming from? I think there should be complete freedom to vote, dont like to see anyone narrow the rules down to a list,

Cheers biggrin.gif
Den

#27 SynoAngel

SynoAngel
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:20 PM

Den has a point, and users will vote for whatever one they like the best. There is no way we could possible enforce anything else. Just like when you go to an art gallery people will vote for the artwork that they can relate to or are attracted to (whether it be colour, style or subject).

Daniel

#28 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:29 PM

Totally Agree Daniel biggrin.gif

I think What Cawdor was trying to make a point of was it is the photo not the subject like you said biggrin.gif

With your comment about the art gallery To me that was exactly the same as what Cawdor was saying biggrin.gif

Its in the eye of the beholder so vote as you see fit biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Regards Cobby

#29 Edelia

Edelia
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:16 PM

Hi Cawdor

No doubt if we had appointed a judge the photos would have been judged on photographic merit. For this competition we decided to allow a popular vote of all forum users so there is no way to control the criteria used for judging. The winner will probably end up as being the picture that appeals to most voters and may not be of particular photographic merit.

Lyn smile.gif

#30 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:20 PM

Of course people will vote the way they want to vote and I did not mean to suggest anything else or narrow it down by means of rules etc.
It's first and foremost a fun competition and it should stay that way!

But I still think it wouldn't hurt to post a reminder with the final post of entries when voting starts, that we vote for the best photo, not who has the best fish smile.gif

#31 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:10 AM

I think people will vote for the photo they like - if two pictures are the same quality then it will come down to the fish but not necessarily the most expensive or rarest.

Things people will consider IMO are;

1. quality

2. colours

3. pose

4. character of fish shown

For example - two same quality and everything pics of a silver arrowana and a black and grey female convict - I would likely vote the convict because of the contrast in colours and the orange.

I think both gentlemen make a good point.

Pete

#32 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:07 AM

Bump biggrin.gif

Come on people show us what ya got biggrin.gif

its all good fun biggrin.gif

Dont be shy 8O

Regards Cobby

#33 Dramat1c

Dramat1c
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

i reckon the photo compeition may allow a photo title? thats what photo compeition usually allow loL tats just what i think anyway hehe.

#34 Edelia

Edelia
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:50 AM

In this particular competition, the photo title is the scientific name of the fish.

#35 Dramat1c

Dramat1c
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:38 AM

lol yea i noticed. but i meant a title given by the one who takes it such as "love", "forever love" etc. It gives more emotions and feelings of a pic and a chance for the photo taker to express their message of their photos. do you think is a good idea? biggrin.gif

#36 Edelia

Edelia
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:53 AM

The accent is strictly on the image of the fish in this particular competition - not on what the fish may be doing or feeling so a title would be irrelevant.

However, in future competitions we may introduce a Best Caption category too, to add more interest.

Thank you for your suggestion - it will be discussed at the next Committee Meeting.

Lyn smile.gif

#37 Dramat1c

Dramat1c
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:06 PM

haha thanks Lyn thats exactly what i meant! laugh.gif

#38 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 September 2007 - 03:19 PM

Thers one new pic in the first page biggrin.gif

#39 Edelia

Edelia
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:20 PM

Entrants are allowed to substitute a new picture for their original entry.

#40 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:00 PM

Oh cool I was thinking about changing my pic as it doesnt look as good when its compressed.

Can it be any fish species?

Cheers
Den

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users