Photo

A 215L Christmas Present

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

As if I didn't chew up enough electricity as is... Or have enough tanks in my bedroom  :unsure:

Well I got given a 215l, Aqua One AR-980.

hsmovlh.jpg

Yes, It is a Malawi tank!! and this is my first set I have ever kept so I have allot of research to do on them. I really have no idea what I have in there apart from the 4 electric yellows and 3 clown loaches. And I was wondering if you guys could help me identify what the remaining 4 fish are. Sorry bout the quality of the pics but;

hFAzptO.jpg

iAKE2uO.jpg

bwwpsU2.jpg

Also never dealing with these types of fish before I have noticed the vast difference in aggression compared to my peaceful asian fish :( , there are currently 3 electric yellows in 3 separate corners of the tank with what I believe to be the male chasing them, is this normal?

The tank was apparently well established before it was given to me, and running for a good 2 years before being given to me and the filter mesh certainly lives up to that description! But apparently some stock has been taken out in the last few months. The filter is the internal inbuilt system and I definitely want to upgrade to something larger as soon as possible any recommendations on canister filters would be greatly welcomed!!

Also is this enough stock for the tank bc aqua advisor says its only 76% then it reminds you to you that you need to keep the tank above the 100% mark? 

For the future, I have a tank for the clowns to go into when the grow out!! my 750l  :rolleyes:.

Thank you all in advance for any advice! and answers to any questions! These fish are so playful and colourful it makes me wonder why I haven't kept them before  :D

#2 snakebite729

snakebite729
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

In the second picture it looks as though you may have (left to right) Benga, Rubescens, Electric Blue. But someone more experienced in identifying haps may be able to help you more accurately on those.

With regards to canister, a Fluval 405 would do quite nicely on this one if you wanted to save yourself some money (compared to Eheim prices). 

#3 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

Nice tank Clownz, nice assortment of fish also.

Enjoy the rest of your christmas.

Jackson

#4 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

Does anyone have any idea why my yellows are bashing each other up though? Thanks for the advice snakebite729 for the 405, I will look into that!! Can anyone give me a definite answer to what I have as stock?

Thanks so far jackmack and  snakebite729 for your contributions!!

#5 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:02 AM

Attached File  dudes fish.jpg   395.81KB   0 downloads

Attached File  dudes fish 2.jpg   271.29KB   0 downloads

I would like to see another pic of the suspected Protomelas taeniolatus - Red Empress as I'm not 100% on that one.
As for your EY's fighting, I would say it would be males fighting for dormancy in a small tank. IMO the 980 is a good tank but not big enough for the species you have. I'm surprised the Nimbo hasn't nailed all of them.
Great looking fish though. :) That Nimbo is a stunner..

#6 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thanks Az Aquatic, that has really cleared up a few questions for me  :D!! Though I believe that I have 2 of the ruby red peacocks because they look practically identical. Only problem now is my electric yellows, they don't seem to be doing so great, they are being bossed around by the male and are in corners of the tank  :angry:. One of them is currently sitting on the bottom, Is there any way I can stop them from being like this?

Thanks all for your contributions so far.

#7 myster619

myster619
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Nice sentiment. Maybe try something new and smaller such as tang shell dwellers when you get bored with them? Those malawians especially the venustus will soon outgrow the tank if not already. 

Edited by myster619, 27 December 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#8 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

Nice fish Clownz.
My advice is Look for a bigger tank before things go t*#s up. Malawis require a fair bit of room and the more room you have to play with the more fun you will have. Short term If one of your ey's is the problem give it away, sell it, whatever.

#9 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Hows this for an Idea?

I am really starting to love the whole Malawi idea, so I was pondering upon a conversion!!

My large 750l tank, and turning it into a Malawi paradise? I have done some research and found out that the Bala Sharks and the clown loaches should be fine, I can move the clown barbs into another tank, the only point of contention could be the gold spot pleco, which I could also move until its bigger? Would this remove the threat of the yellows being killed?

FnSqrgV.jpg

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Other information should be in my signature bellow.

#10 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

I would say so, yes the yellows should fare better in the bigger tank, though with limited stock there will still be some aggression. Cichlids are kinda messy buggers so make sure your filtration is good and your weekly maintenance is adequate. Most importantly remember malawis are pigs and will eat much more than is really healthy for them and the tank, dont fall into the trap of overfeeding.
Be clever when you decorate the tank. Create territories and make sure you use a lot of rock so they have plenty of hidey holes. There are a few issues with adding lots of rock work such as unnoticed build up of fish waste and its totally impossible to catch a fish unless you pull your tank apart. Some folks prefer to keep rock work and other decoration to a minimum and choose to overstock to prevent or reduce aggression.

#11 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

If you want to use the 215 tank add heaps of rock to give some hidey holes. You dont appear to have much cover for the mbuna (rock fish) such as electric yellows.
But better off going with a bigger malawi tank.

Edited by malawiman85, 28 December 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#12 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

Well the yellows appear to have settled down, maybe it was just the moving of the tank. Hopefully not just a temporary thing :D. Thanx Malawiman, I will post updates as I put them in the 750. Yea, the overfeeding thing is really tempting I was feeding them bloodworms for the first few days like I do with all of my other tanks until I learnt it was a contributing factor of bloat. The always look so hungry  :(.

Edited by Clownz!!, 29 December 2013 - 10:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users